new computer or new video card needed?

Old May 13th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
louise

Default new computer or new video card needed?

I've just purchased my first DSLR (Nikon D40X) and I'm
shooting in RAW. I am using Capture NX to do intial
adjustments to the raw image and then saving it as a tiff.
I then open the tiff in CS3 and continue editing.

So, Capture NX, CS3, Outlook and Firefox are usually open.
And my computer is moving between Capture NX and CS3 very
very slowly, pictures are being drawn slowly and changes are
previewed....slowly. It is only slightly better if I close
Outlook and Firefox - it is still slow enough to be
frustrating for any quantity of work.

I want to emphasize that everything works, but it is slow
and I am constantly waiting for large files to open and to
adjust to changes. I find the transition from Capture NX to
opening the tiff in CS3 to be extremely slow.

I don't know whether I really need a new computer, or
whether it is simply that my graphics card isn't up to the
tasks I am now presenting to it. Here are the specs:

P4, 3.2 with 2 gig of ram and an Asus Motherboard. Large
seagate hard drive with plenty of space.

The video card is a Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro Atlantic with
128 meg of memory in the AGP 8x slot of an Asus P4C800E
Deluxe motherboard.

Do I need a new computer with a much faster processor, or is
the the video card the main bottleneck? If the video card
is the bottleneck, do I get another AGP 8X with 256 meg of
ram or do I get a regular PCI card and not use the AGP slot
at all? I do have an open PCI slot. What specs should I
look for in a card?

I am hoping that a new video card will take care of the
slowness for another year when I will feel more ready to buy
a new computer. But if not....then it will have to be sooner.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions, etc., all very welcome.

TIA

Louise

Old May 13th 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

louise wrote:
I've just purchased my first DSLR (Nikon D40X) and I'm shooting in RAW.
I am using Capture NX to do intial adjustments to the raw image and then
saving it as a tiff. I then open the tiff in CS3 and continue editing.

So, Capture NX, CS3, Outlook and Firefox are usually open. And my
computer is moving between Capture NX and CS3 very very slowly,

CS3 is a hog with 10MP. You'll probably get better advice on a photoshop
group like alt.graphics.photoshop, comp.graphics.apps.photoshop You can
check ctl-al-delete Task Manager, Performance tab to see if it's a CPU
or page-file hard disk problem for lack of RAM. Clear your history if
you are doing lots of edits, assign a separate partition or drive for CS
paging. CS3 is annoyingly slow but not quite as bad as you describe
perhaps on my 5 year old laptop Pentium M 1.5 ghz with 1GB RAM and a jam
packed hard drive. I went back to CS1.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old May 13th 07, 07:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wayne J. Cosshall

It won't be your video card.

My first guess is your processor but how much free space is on the disk
used for swap for PS and is this disk also used for other things?

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne J. Cosshall
Publisher, Experimental Digital Photography
http://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
Personal art site http://www.cosshall.com/

Old May 13th 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Avery

On Sat, 12 May 2007 23:59:59 -0400, louise
wrote:

[...]

My system, Win 2000, P4 @ 1.4Gig (yes really), I Gig memory and an
old Matrox video card , in PS CS2 will open a 30 meg TIFF file in
about 2 seconds. A 12 meg RAW from the camera takes about 15 seconds.

Your system should be faster than that.

Perhaps the only deifference is that I have all my system and program
files on a fast SCSI drive and all the data files (and PS swap files )
on separate ATA drives.

I don't think you need a new system, but perhaps a second hard drive.
Old May 13th 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ron Recer

"louise" wrote in message
[...]

Try disabling your antivirus software. When I bought a new laptop it came
with what the store said was a super antivirus program, PC-cillin. It was
super alright, thought every photo file was a potential virus and had to
check them all before opening/processing them. I use a Canon 10D and use
RAW for everything. With the PC-cillin antivirus software running it took
28 seconds or more to convert, process and save a raw image to a tiff,
without the PC-cillen antivirus software runnung it usually takes 13-14
seconds to convert, process and save a raw image and I have McAfee antivirus
software running.. The PC-cillin antivirus is no longer on my laptop!

Ron

Old May 13th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Oliver Costich

wrote:

[...]

I have the same combination and also have a Core2Duo E6600. Both have
2GB RAM. The operating speeds with CS3 and Lightroom are virtually
identical on the two systems. It's just that processing 10MP files is
slow, period.

Old May 13th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
babaloo

Your computer is adequate but you are asking alot of it.
Two gbs of RAM is adequate and, in fact, adding more in XP will dent your
pocketbook more than improve performance.
NX, PS and CS3 hog both memory (RAM, swap file/scratch disk) and system
resources (the bits any OS uses to keep track of what it is doing, which are
finite). 10mp images quickly swell to 50mbs or more depending on how many
layers and filters you are using.
You are on the right track about shutting down un-necessary background
programs and processes: that is the main software configuration change you
can make that will yield a tangible improvement. Virus programs and
firewalls should not be a problem but might be.
If you do not have at least two physically separate hard drives plugged into
the motherboard then get a second and configure properly for use as a
Windows Swap/photoshop scratch file. There are many source of info about
this, including Adobe.
If you want to upgrade the tasks you are trying to do call out for a dual
core processor. Although each core may be slower than your PIV the OS can
assign programs to alternate processors and some CS3 processes, but not the
whole program, are multithreaded. Even with a dual core processor you still
need at least two hard drives. The same RAM limits apply: XP really cannot
use more than 2gbs effectively.
Whatever you do, do not get Vista (or any 64 bit OS). Although MS claims
32bit Vista can use 4gbs of RAM Vista is slower, buggy and there is a claim
out there that every time Vista gives you the screen blankout, which it does
every time you move a file or do some other innocuous chore, Vista unloads
the monitor calibration data. Easy to reinstall but what a pain.

Old May 13th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
the_niner_nation

"louise" wrote in message
[...]

I use CS3 on a similar spec PC to work on TIFF & RAW files taken with my
Canon 400d and dont notice significant slowdown at all...and my memory is
1gb to your 2gb.
Perhaps you have too many 'hidden' applications working in the background?

Old May 13th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On May 12, 11:59 pm, louise wrote:
[...]

Capture NX and CS are both intensive users of process and memory.
Ever listen to the hard drive when NX is used? It goes mad. I think
they should come out with programs stripped down to the photographic
essentials and engineered for speed.

Old May 13th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil H.

"louise" wrote in message
[...]

I doubt that your graphics card is the problem. I think the Radeon 9600 Pro
is a very good card for what you're doing. And your computer specs sound as
though you have plenty of processing power and memory.

Forget about a graohics card for your PCI slot. Most if not all new
computers use PCI Express for the graphics card, but PCI Express is entirely
different from the standard PCI slots that you have, which are significantly
slower than AGP. Since you have AGP, you surely do not have PCI Express. The
real-world advantage of PCI Express 16x over AGP 8x is trivial anyway.

My guess is that the slowness you're experiencing is due mostly to using
those 10Mp RAW files. I'm assuming that you had no similar problem with
digital photos before you got the D40x -- is that correct? But I don't have
a 10Mp SLR, rarely if ever shoot RAW, use the older Nikon Capture 4 and
don't use any flavor of Photoshop, so I can't really put myself in your
situation.

Do you have any such problems when shooting JPEG?

Neil