Can you ID this socket on my digicam?

Old September 1st 06, 10:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.photo.digital
Dave

Default Can you ID this socket on my digicam?

"Meep" wrote in message
Can someone help me ID this socket on my camera.

In the base of my Casio digital camera is a socket which I can connect to
my PC's USB port (or using another lead I can connect to my television's
video and audio phono sockets).

You can see the socket he
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...z60_bottom.jpg

The camera spec unhelpfully calls it a "USB/AV connector".

Actually, that's very helpful. It is a Casio USB/AV connector, JUST LIKE IT
SAYS IT IS. In other words, proprietary, something that Casio created and
nobody else uses. -Dave

Old September 1st 06, 11:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.photo.digital
Rex B

Dave wrote:
"Meep" wrote in message
Can someone help me ID this socket on my camera.

In the base of my Casio digital camera is a socket which I can connect to
my PC's USB port (or using another lead I can connect to my television's
video and audio phono sockets).

You can see the socket he
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...z60_bottom.jpg

The camera spec unhelpfully calls it a "USB/AV connector".

Actually, that's very helpful. It is a Casio USB/AV connector, JUST LIKE IT
SAYS IT IS. In other words, proprietary, something that Casio created and
nobody else uses. -Dave

So, it uses one port to output both digital USB and analog RCA signals?
That's not only proprietary, it's also magic
Old September 2nd 06, 12:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.photo.digital
Prometheus

In article , Rex B
writes

Dave wrote:
"Meep" wrote in message
Can someone help me ID this socket on my camera.

In the base of my Casio digital camera is a socket which I can connect to
my PC's USB port (or using another lead I can connect to my television's
video and audio phono sockets).

You can see the socket he
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...z60_bottom.jpg

The camera spec unhelpfully calls it a "USB/AV connector".

Actually, that's very helpful. It is a Casio USB/AV connector, JUST
LIKE IT SAYS IT IS. In other words, proprietary, something that
Casio created and nobody else uses. -Dave

So, it uses one port to output both digital USB and analog RCA signals?
That's not only proprietary, it's also magic

Not magic at all; just simple engineering. One way of implementing it
would be for the electronics within the camera to detect the presence of
d.c. between the two USB supply pins, if there is no d.c. then it uses
the other two pins for analogue video and audio with one of the supply
lines as return, if there is d.c.then it uses the other two pins as
normal USB data. Quite simple; the technology is not even sufficiently
advanced to be indistinguishable from magic.
--
Ian G8ILZ
Old September 2nd 06, 12:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.photo.digital
Dave

Actually, that's very helpful. It is a Casio USB/AV connector, JUST LIKE
IT SAYS IT IS. In other words, proprietary, something that Casio created
and nobody else uses. -Dave

So, it uses one port to output both digital USB and analog RCA signals?
That's not only proprietary, it's also magic

Not magic at all. It's quite common, in fact. When manufacturers try to
make things smaller, one trick they use is to combine multiple functions in
one connector. The fewer pins needed for each function, the easier it is to
combine functions in one connector. Each USB needs a maximum of 4 pins. In
the connector pictured, that leaves a lot of pins available for other
things, like multiple analog video and/or or audio signals, which need a
maximum of 2 pins each. -Dave

Old September 2nd 06, 04:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.photo.digital
Ken Weitzel

Prometheus wrote:
In article , Rex B
writes

Dave wrote:
"Meep" wrote in message
[...]

Hi...

The newest Oly's do the same "magic"

For the op, what he'll have to do is try to acquire a cable
from Casio if he wants to use it.

Ken

Old September 2nd 06, 04:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.photo.digital
Ken Weitzel

Dave wrote:
Actually, that's very helpful. It is a Casio USB/AV connector, JUST LIKE
IT SAYS IT IS. In other words, proprietary, something that Casio created
and nobody else uses. -Dave

So, it uses one port to output both digital USB and analog RCA signals?
That's not only proprietary, it's also magic

Not magic at all. It's quite common, in fact. When manufacturers try to
make things smaller, one trick they use is to combine multiple functions in
one connector. The fewer pins needed for each function, the easier it is to
combine functions in one connector. Each USB needs a maximum of 4 pins. In
the connector pictured, that leaves a lot of pins available for other
things, like multiple analog video and/or or audio signals, which need a
maximum of 2 pins each. -Dave

Hi...

It looks to my old eyes like my oly sp-350 (which does the same
magic) has 6 pins.

Take care.

Ken
Old September 2nd 06, 05:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 19:46:47 -0400, Dave wrote:

So, it uses one port to output both digital USB and analog RCA signals?
That's not only proprietary, it's also magic

Not magic at all. It's quite common, in fact. When manufacturers try to
make things smaller, one trick they use is to combine multiple functions in
one connector. The fewer pins needed for each function, the easier it is to
combine functions in one connector. Each USB needs a maximum of 4 pins. In
the connector pictured, that leaves a lot of pins available for other
things, like multiple analog video and/or or audio signals, which need a
maximum of 2 pins each. -Dave

Another example is Sony's use of what appears to be a standard
stereo mini-jack for analog line input on their MiniDisc recorders.
But if you plug in an optical cable instead, you can make "smart"
digital copies from CDs that preserves individual track info. so
that the copy isn't a single, long track.

Old September 3rd 06, 03:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.photo.digital
Prometheus

In article , Me
writes
Rex B wrote:

Dave wrote:
"Meep" wrote in message
Can someone help me ID this socket on my camera.

In the base of my Casio digital camera is a socket which I can
connect to my PC's USB port (or using another lead I can connect
to my television's video and audio phono sockets).

You can see the socket he
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...z60_bottom.jpg

The camera spec unhelpfully calls it a "USB/AV connector".

Actually, that's very helpful. It is a Casio USB/AV connector,
JUST LIKE IT SAYS IT IS. In other words, proprietary, something
that Casio created and nobody else uses. -Dave

So, it uses one port to output both digital USB and analog RCA
signals? That's not only proprietary, it's also magic

I would guess that this "magic" could be easily enough implemented if

(a) the AV lead connected with two (four for audio) particular pins
(b) the USB lead connected with two quite different pins.

Another way, which avoids the cost of more than four pins is for the
electronics within the camera to detect the presence of DSc. between the
two USB supply pins, if there is no DSc. then it uses the other two
pins for analogue video and audio with one of the supply lines as
return, if there is d.c.then it uses the other two pins as normal USB
data. This can be implemented with the USB convention of only four pins.
Old September 3rd 06, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.photo.digital
jpc

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 03:54:02 GMT, Ken Weitzel
wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

This isn't OTto the thread but since you own an sp-350 I'll ask.

I just bought one a few day ago and have been putting it thru its
paces after I upgraded to the 1.3 firmware to fix the NImh battery
problem. I still aren't getting the battery life I hoped for before I
I see a low battery warning. But last night when I was going thru the
manual and the menu system--a high current draw since I was viewing
the LCD almost continously--I must have gottten a hour to an hour and
half out of the batteries despite the camera's low battery warning.
Moreover, every time I turned the camera off and on it would come with
a green battery icon before switching to red maybe five minutes
later.

Is this normal behavior? Despite the firmware upgrade, does the camera
still misread Nimh battery life?

jpc

Old September 4th 06, 11:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.photo.digital
Ken Weitzel

wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

Hi jpc...

I don't know if it's normal or not, but mine acts exactly the
same way...

It seems it really really costs to charge the flash (even though
you don't want/need it, so if you're sure you won't need it, manually
turn it off before your first pic, that way it won't try to recharge
itself between pictures. Or set up one of your mymodes to disabled.

And it's costly to open the lens, so if you're just looking at
pics, turn the selector to view before turning the camera on.

Take care.

Ken