Pentax and Samsung Dslr Questions

Old August 31st 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Doe

Default Pentax and Samsung Dslr Questions

I will be looking for a Dslr in the coming months and I am intrigued by
the Pentax and Samsung offerings. I understand that they are basicly
the same camera, and significantly have street prices at least $100 less
than the Canon or Nikon equivalents.

Reviews have been good, praising ease of use, picture quality and small
size.

Any reasons why I should not consider the Pentax or Samsung ?

Thanks in advance !

Ross
Old August 31st 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:14:57 -0400, John Doe wrote:

I will be looking for a Dslr in the coming months and I am intrigued by
the Pentax and Samsung offerings. I understand that they are basicly
the same camera, and significantly have street prices at least $100 less
than the Canon or Nikon equivalents.

Reviews have been good, praising ease of use, picture quality and small
size.

Any reasons why I should not consider the Pentax or Samsung ?

Thanks in advance !

Ross

When you buy a DSLR, you're buying into a system. For most people, the
camera body is only the first of many purchases.
If the Pentax or Samsung bodies offer what you want, and if the
systems offer what you'll want in the future, go for it.
There are many reviews of both makes; study them, and learn what many
experienced users have found.
I haven't seen anything really bad about either, certainly nothing
that would make either one unusable for the average user.
In these things, it's usually small quirks that sway the mind, and
these can usually only be found by handling the cameras in question.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old August 31st 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

John Doe wrote:

Any reasons why I should not consider the Pentax or Samsung ?

I'm happy with my Pentax DL. You should be aware, however, that there
is a rumor out there that Pentax is about to introduce a new dSLR with
10 MP and IS.

Bill

Old August 31st 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Mitchum

John Doe wrote:

I will be looking for a Dslr in the coming months and I am intrigued by
the Pentax and Samsung offerings. I understand that they are basicly
the same camera, and significantly have street prices at least $100 less
than the Canon or Nikon equivalents.

Reviews have been good, praising ease of use, picture quality and small
size.

Any reasons why I should not consider the Pentax or Samsung ?

Figure out what lenses you need. Then buy the camera that fits those
lenses. If you don't know which lenses you need, then consider buying a
point-and-shoot instead; you'll save more than $100.

The good Pentax glass isn't cheap, though the camera body may be. Put
yourself in a position where you can compare the kit lens (the 18-55mm)
to the 16-45mm alternative, since the latter is sharper.
Old August 31st 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
simon

I use a Pentax *istDL.

I'm very happy with it..
Would I buy another Pentax DSLR...

"Yes."

www.srsteel.co.uk
http://www.srsteel.co.uk/Panorama
http://www.srsteel.co.uk/landscape
http://www.srsteel.co.uk/Peru

Old August 31st 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

wrote in message
ups.com...

John Doe wrote:

Any reasons why I should not consider the Pentax or Samsung ?

I'm happy with my Pentax DL. You should be aware, however, that there
is a rumor out there that Pentax is about to introduce a new dSLR with
10 MP and IS.

Bill

Don't forget they already have a 6MP with IS and it is a great little camera
in the K100D, team it with the Sigma 18-125mm and you have a very nice
reasonably priced setup. I would also recomend the Sigma DG 500 Super flash
to go with it.

If you can wait the 10MP K10D will be released soon, even better!

Old August 31st 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"Paul Mitchum" wrote in message
John Doe wrote:

I will be looking for a Dslr in the coming months and I am intrigued by
the Pentax and Samsung offerings. I understand that they are basicly
the same camera, and significantly have street prices at least $100 less
than the Canon or Nikon equivalents.

Reviews have been good, praising ease of use, picture quality and small
size.

Any reasons why I should not consider the Pentax or Samsung ?

Figure out what lenses you need. Then buy the camera that fits those
lenses. If you don't know which lenses you need, then consider buying a
point-and-shoot instead; you'll save more than $100.

The good Pentax glass isn't cheap, though the camera body may be. Put
yourself in a position where you can compare the kit lens (the 18-55mm)
to the 16-45mm alternative, since the latter is sharper.

I have both lenses as well as the Sigma 18-50mm and I really love the 16-45
but you will not see its full performance unless you are making prtty large
prints, the standard kit Pentax lens is quite nice even though it seems
pretty light weight.

Old August 31st 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"simon" wrote in message
I use a Pentax *istDL.

I'm very happy with it..
Would I buy another Pentax DSLR...

"Yes."

www.srsteel.co.uk
http://www.srsteel.co.uk/Panorama
http://www.srsteel.co.uk/landscape
http://www.srsteel.co.uk/Peru

Nice shots Simon, all taken with the DL?

Old September 1st 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
simon

"Nice shots Simon, all taken with the DL? "

All pretty much taken with the DL.
Some shots on the site, generally you can tell which, were also taken with a
2MP Casio point and shoot. These shots tend to be the ones on the site that
are a bit more 'rough'.

Lenses used with the DL were Sigma 18-55 and 50-100. Tamron 28-200.

Simon