Sandisk CF extreme vs.ultra II ??

Old March 20th 05, 07:29 PM
SleeperMan

Default Sandisk CF extreme vs.ultra II ??

Charles wrote:
In article , SleeperMan
wrote:

I just spoke with salesman who imports and sells Sandisk here and
asked him about this new Extreme III series cards. First, they are
currently out of stock, but he said that in a period of their
manufacture, quite a few cards died and they had to replace them,
while as long as he sells Ultra II series, they didn't have one
single case of failure.

I often notice that when a salesman is out of stock on item they come
up with something negative about the product they don't have in stock
and in favor of what they do have in stock. They want to make the
sale. This happened to me yesterday when I was shopping for digital
camera for my niece. The salesman said something negative about the
camera I prefered that did not make sense. I countered his a
statement. he then admitted he did not have the camera I prefered in
stock. I would take the salesmans statement with a grain of salt.

Old March 20th 05, 07:47 PM
SleeperMan

Charles wrote:
In article , SleeperMan
wrote:

he doesn't have either of cards in stock, so i think this judgement
was more or less correct...

I wonder why he would be out of stock of the Ultra II cards. Been to a
few stores in the last couple of days and they were quite plentifull.
On the other hand none of them had any Extreme III. I wonder how he
even could have much feedback on those.

good question...They did have them, they sold them out. I bet they first try
them in their best cameras first (i would), so they come to this
conclusion...

Old March 20th 05, 08:56 PM
SleeperMan

Peter Resch wrote:
"SleeperMan" wrote in message
Charles wrote:
In article , SleeperMan
wrote:

Canon S1 IS. I think it won't have problems with either card...

I would get the cheaper of the two cards. I don't think you will
notice any difference.

agreed. In any case i didn't consider for the difference, but i
thought...new card, new technology, better stuff, better
reliability...i guess i'm wrong.

What is more likely is the proven debugged technology of the older
cards. Peter

i guess you're right...Ultra II is it then...

Old March 22nd 05, 07:47 PM
SleeperMan

Oliver Costich wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:47:04 +0100, "SleeperMan"
wrote:

Oliver Costich wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:33:31 -0500, Charles wrote:

In article , SleeperMan
wrote:

Canon S1 IS. I think it won't have problems with either card...

I would get the cheaper of the two cards. I don't think you will
notice any difference.

Or even the standard card for way less. I don't think that the
camera canuse the speed at all. The benefit might be had when
downloading through a USB2 card reader.

All i need in this camera is about 15x speed for shooting highest
quality video. I don't have external reader yet, since my PC doesn't
have USB 2.0 port...maybe one day.

A USB2 card is about $15 if your OS will support it.

It's not my OS problem (win XP), but my MOBO (Soyo D+) which may cause
problems...

Old March 23rd 05, 06:35 PM
SleeperMan

Oliver Costich wrote:

wrote:

Oliver Costich wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:33:31 -0500, Charles
wrote:

In article , SleeperMan
wrote:

Canon S1 IS. I think it won't have problems with either card...

I would get the cheaper of the two cards. I don't think you will
notice any difference.

Or even the standard card for way less. I don't think that the
camera canuse the speed at all. The benefit might be had when
downloading through a USB2 card reader.

All i need in this camera is about 15x speed for shooting highest
quality video. I don't have external reader yet, since my PC
doesn't have USB 2.0 port...maybe one day.

A USB2 card is about $15 if your OS will support it.

It's not my OS problem (win XP), but my MOBO (Soyo D+) which may
cause problems...

I would think that virtually any USB2 PCI card should work with the
Soyo.

Well, some poeple did report problems when trying to insert USB 20
board...so i hesitate...

Old March 23rd 05, 10:12 PM
Oliver Costich

wrote:

Oliver Costich wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:33:31 -0500, Charles
wrote:

In article , SleeperMan
wrote:

Canon S1 IS. I think it won't have problems with either card...

I would get the cheaper of the two cards. I don't think you will
notice any difference.

Or even the standard card for way less. I don't think that the
camera canuse the speed at all. The benefit might be had when
downloading through a USB2 card reader.

All i need in this camera is about 15x speed for shooting highest
quality video. I don't have external reader yet, since my PC
doesn't have USB 2.0 port...maybe one day.

A USB2 card is about $15 if your OS will support it.

It's not my OS problem (win XP), but my MOBO (Soyo D+) which may
cause problems...

I would think that virtually any USB2 PCI card should work with the
Soyo.

Well, some poeple did report problems when trying to insert USB 20
board...so i hesitate...

Buy one somplace you can take it back. The hardest part of installing
it is opening the case. YSB2 is very good to have, for card readers,
DVD/CD burners, hard drives, etc.

Old March 23rd 05, 11:32 PM
Ron Hunter

wrote:

Oliver Costich wrote:

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:33:31 -0500, Charles
wrote:

In article , SleeperMan
wrote:

[...]

Even better, spend a few bucks more and get one that does Firewire800 as
well. Then you are ready for HD video....

--
Ron Hunter
Old March 24th 05, 05:29 PM
SleeperMan

wrote:

Oliver Costich wrote:

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:33:31 -0500, Charles
wrote:

In article , SleeperMan
wrote:

[...]

hm...something to consider...

Old March 24th 05, 05:29 PM
SleeperMan

wrote:

Oliver Costich wrote:

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:33:31 -0500, Charles