It's just wrong

Old May 20th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

Default It's just wrong

Caesar Romano wrote:

On Wed, 20 May 2009 08:39:42 GMT, Paul Heslop
wrote Re It's just wrong:

it looks awfully like a piece of public art which has been around for
a while, a part of the town, so to speak.

on trying to discover the artist etc I found this page, sure to raise
some smutty comments ho ho but the theme seems to be quite common
http://www.bronze-depot.com/catalog/...ry.asp?catid=3

Well, there it is. The fourth row down on the left. It's not the same
sculpture, but it's the same artist or an intentional copy of his
style of work.

yep, and a few of the others are very similar in theme.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
Old May 21st 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

J?rgen Exner wrote:
Bill wrote:
No, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the statue. What's wrong is
that our current society is teaching everyone to see the evil in every
damn thing that they see or hear.

To me, it represents better days when a sister or friend would not
hesitate to help another in this manner. It truly sucks that today,
the first thing that people scream is PERVERT when someone touches
another person.

Amen to that!

30 years ago when a kid at school pulled out his new Swiss Army knife
that he got for his birthday, the teacher would pull out his and they
would compare features.
Today they scream for police, SWAT, psychiatrist, and immediately
expelling the kid.

When I was at school we were encouraged to bring our knives to school
so we could learn the various ways of putting various kinds of point
on pencils, learn how to sharpen them properly, and learn how to use
them without cutting our fingers. I think roughly 30% of the boys
would carry knives to school for pencil sharpening, craft work, apple
peeling, etc.. Which reminds me, we also learned how to peel an apple
so that the peel was one long continuous string.

Fights were common, but any kid who took a weapon to a fight, whether
a knife or a stick or stone, was severely told off and probably beaten
up by bigger boys to teach him a lesson. And a big boy who used a
weapon would be seriously warned and possibly beaten up by men. It was
well understood that letting weapons be used in anger by teenagers and
young men was socially very dangerous lunacy which had to be stamped
out very fast.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old May 23rd 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 5/19/09 5:07 PM, in article
, "Bowser"
wrote:

"George Kerby" wrote in message

On 5/19/09 7:06 AM, in article
, "Bowser"
wrote:

On 2009-05-18 06:45:07 -0700, Bowser said:

George Kerby wrote:

On 5/17/09 7:02 PM, in article
, "Bowser"
wrote:

Maybe it's me, but there's something just wrong with this
statue in front of
the library in Beaufort, SC.

http://www.manzi.org/pix/wrong.jpg

If it were in NORTH Carolina, would it take on another
connotation for you?

When I posted this image, I did so to see what type of reaction it
provoked. I offered no opinion of my own. None. Despite that, a
number of posters have injected many meanings, and have assumed
that I offered some meaning in my original post. I did not. I
posted merely to provoke and see what happened. And look what
happened!

Aaaah! The very definition of a successful and worthy troll :-)

You know, you are not supposed to admit that sort of thing.

Geez, I wouldn't classify this as a troll. It's not like I said all
Nikon users are elitist snobs or anything, is it? Just having a
little fun with the locals, that's all.

Geez, you really need a vacation.

Hell, I took the pic while I was on vacation. Can't afford another one
right
now, unless you'd care to take up a collection from the newsgroup regs.
I'm
betting it'd be a total waste of time.

Besides, I bet I can find something else absurd on my next vacation on
Martha's Vineyard. Not to worry, I'll post that one, if it happens, as
well.

I got one right here...

http://i39.tinypic.com/jfj1h1.jpg

A few years back when Clinton was visiting Martha's Vineyard, the running
gag was this:

Bad news: The Clintons are coming to the Vineyard.
Good news: Ted's driving.

G!

Old May 23rd 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 5/19/09 5:10 PM, in article
, "Bowser"
wrote:

"George Kerby" wrote in message

On 5/18/09 8:45 AM, in article ,
"Bowser" wrote:

George Kerby wrote:

On 5/17/09 7:02 PM, in article
, "Bowser"
wrote:

Maybe it's me, but there's something just wrong with this statue in
front of
the library in Beaufort, SC.

http://www.manzi.org/pix/wrong.jpg

If it were in NORTH Carolina, would it take on another connotation for
you?

When I posted this image, I did so to see what type of reaction it
provoked. I offered no opinion of my own. None. Despite that, a number
of posters have injected many meanings, and have assumed that I offered
some meaning in my original post. I did not. I posted merely to provoke
and see what happened. And look what happened!

I was playing "P.C." with the North vs. South thing, but DO look what
happened!

"Ladies and germs, we have a WIN-NAH!"

OK, look, we all know that the northerners hate the southerners, but I bet
you don't know why. Barbeque. You simply can't get good barbeque up north,
and I don't think that's a coincidence at all. It's a GD barbeque
conspiracy, that's what it is! Once you've had the pulled pork at Charlie
and Jakes or Meemaws in Melbourne, FL, anything up north is simply sub-par.
People up here throw some chicken on the grill, slap on some sugar-sauce,
and call it barbeque. It ain't...

I'll have to remember that next time I'm in FL.

Old May 23rd 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Tue, 19 May 2009 18:10:25 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:
:
: "George Kerby" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
:
: On 5/18/09 8:45 AM, in article ,
: "Bowser" wrote:
:
: George Kerby wrote:
:
:
: On 5/17/09 7:02 PM, in article
: , "Bowser"
: wrote:
:
[...]

Well, most southerners would spell it "barbecue" (or in large signs, possibly
"Bar-B-Q"), but your point is well taken.

FWIW, I've managed to read most of this thread (an act of largely unjustifed
diligence) and have been surprised that no one seems to have directly
mentioned the statue's most obvious allusion: The older girl is white, and the
younger one is black, and there are those (I'm one of them) who grew up in the
south and can remember when the two girls would not have been allowed to use
the same drinking fountain in South Carolina. (I actually grew up in
Mississippi, but the situation was the same.) The statue evidently celebrates
the fact that we've put those times behind us.

Bob
Old May 23rd 09, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:39:45 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

On Tue, 19 May 2009 18:10:25 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:
:
: "George Kerby" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
:
: On 5/18/09 8:45 AM, in article ,
: "Bowser" wrote:
:
: George Kerby wrote:
:
:
: On 5/17/09 7:02 PM, in article
: , "Bowser"
: wrote:
:
[...]

You didn't read the entire thread, then. My comment was on exactly
this subject: "I guess it was because it was North Carolina, but my
first thought was that it symbolized desegregated drinking fountains.
I wouldn't have thought that if there hadn't been an agenda suggested
by the post."

I did get the state wrong, but North and South Carolina were same in
this aspect.

I noticed this because I'm old enough to have personally seen
segregated facilities. It wasn't just blacks. On my first trip to
Florida with my parents, my father pointed out that some hotels did
not admit Jews. They had signs that said "Restricted". Everyone knew
what that meant. My father refused to stay in one because we were
Catholic and he had experienced discrimination against Catholics.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old May 23rd 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sat, 23 May 2009 15:31:55 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:
: On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:39:45 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
:
: On Tue, 19 May 2009 18:10:25 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:
: :
: : "George Kerby" wrote in message
: : ...
: :
: :
: :
: : On 5/18/09 8:45 AM, in article ,
: : "Bowser" wrote:
: :
: : George Kerby wrote:
: :
: :
: : On 5/17/09 7:02 PM, in article
: : , "Bowser"
: : wrote:
: :
[...]

Yeah, you're right. I hadn't completely worked my way past all the bull****
about homosexuals and pedophilia, and didn't see your post until after I sent
mine.

: I did get the state wrong, but North and South Carolina were same in
: this aspect.

Almost. North Carolina was, I believe, unique in its recognition of three,
rather than two, races (white, black, and American Indian) for purposes of
segregation. In the rest of the south Indians were considered white, even
tribes whose skin color was very dark.

: I noticed this because I'm old enough to have personally seen
: segregated facilities.

Me too, and I'm of two minds about it: heartened that it now seems part of a
long bygone era, but disconcerted by how old it makes me that I remember it so
well.

: It wasn't just blacks. On my first trip to Florida with my parents, my
: father pointed out that some hotels did not admit Jews. They had signs
: that said "Restricted". Everyone knew what that meant. My father refused
: to stay in one because we were Catholic and he had experienced discrimination
: against Catholics.

The world is a strange place. In my town in Mississippi it was generally
understood that it was the Jews who kept the Syrians out of the country club.
The town had both Jewish and Syrian businessmen who did very well and seemed
about equally wealthy. But it was universally accepted that the richest man in
town was black.

Bob
Old May 24th 09, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 23 May 2009 18:56:32 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

[...]

My daughter went to college at Valdosta State (Georgia). Her sorority
sisters were mostly from Southern towns and mostly Southern Baptist.
Several had never actually known a Catholic before. My daughter was
always surprised at the myths about Catholics and that some didn't
think that Catholics were Christians. No problems, but some strange
conversations.

One of the things often brought up was the subject of priests and
pedophilia. While my daughter was aware of the problem, neither she
nor my son ever heard of anyone in their Catholic schools who had the
slightest problem with a priest. It's not like it goes on in every
Catholic parish.

My daughter also noted that some of the wildest girls were from strict
Southern Baptist families. Away from home for the first time, and
they went wild.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old May 24th 09, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
clifford

On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:39:45 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

FWIW, I've managed to read most of this thread (an act of largely unjustifed
diligence) and have been surprised that no one seems to have directly
mentioned the statue's most obvious allusion: The older girl is white, and the
younger one is black, and there are those (I'm one of them) who grew up in the
south and can remember when the two girls would not have been allowed to use
the same drinking fountain in South Carolina. (I actually grew up in
Mississippi, but the situation was the same.) The statue evidently celebrates
the fact that we've put those times behind us.

Bob

Then the viewer is left with the choice to view it as the white girl
helping the black girl to get a drink, or what really appears to be
happening. The white girl is trying to pull the black girl away from the
fountain, who refuses to let go. Her ankles even wrapped around the
fountain to try to prevent it. Otherwise the body of the white girl
wouldn't be inclined backward so. Seeing as how the body of the black girl
is large enough to reach the fountain by herself, this appears to be the
artists' obvious intent. The white girl might appear to be smiling with
good intent, but now that smile is more of a malicious sneer or exclamation
of disapproval. Her foot on the fountain's foot-pedal in an attempt to
disguise this fact or her using it as a readily available leverage to
accomplish the task. Her foot is also in control of the water, determining
if the black girl gets to drink it or not.

Put it behind us? Not likely. You're analyzing the statue from a white POV,
hoping that it might depict some altruistic effort, when it is anything
but.

Old May 24th 09, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_2_]

On 2009-05-23 20:09:18 -0700, clifford said:

On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:39:45 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

FWIW, I've managed to read most of this thread (an act of largely unjustifed
diligence) and have been surprised that no one seems to have directly
mentioned the statue's most obvious allusion: The older girl is white, and the
younger one is black, and there are those (I'm one of them) who grew up in the
south and can remember when the two girls would not have been allowed to use
the same drinking fountain in South Carolina. (I actually grew up in
Mississippi, but the situation was the same.) The statue evidently celebrates
the fact that we've put those times behind us.

Bob

Then the viewer is left with the choice to view it as the white girl
helping the black girl to g........

Are you really trying to present yourself as legitimate, before you
whip off the sock and reveal your secret identity as "The Phantom P&S
Troll of The Usenet" ?
Savageduck