Dissasembling cleaning old Nikkors

Old September 7th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Default Dissasembling cleaning old Nikkors

I've got a 75-150mm f/3.5 and a 135mm f/2 with dust inside that I'm
pretty sure will require complete dissasembly. The dust does not show in
normal photography but both these lenses are useful for their out of
focus quality where the dust does show as a sort of pinhole effect so it
would be nice to have them cleaned.

I've sent this info to a few places for estimates:

http://www.baldmtn.com Santa Cruz

essexcamera.com "We must see condition of your lens. Please send your
lens then will take look give you estimate."

http://www.cameracare.com Spokane, WA

KEH does not have the option of quoting internal lens cleaning.

http://www.cameraquest.com

http://www.sherrykrauter.com

Photos showing the effect:

75-150mm f/3.5
http://edgehill.net/California/Bay-A...t/full-set/pg3

135mm f/2
http://edgehill.net/California/Bay-A...traffic/pg1pc4

Photos of the lenses themselves showing the dust inside and
assembly/screw details:
http://edgehill.net/Misc/photography/9-7-07-lens-repair

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old September 7th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Sep 7, 4:54 pm, Paul Furman wrote:
I've got a 75-150mm f/3.5 and a 135mm f/2 with dust inside that I'm
pretty sure will require complete dissasembly.

Paul, don't know if he's still there but many years ago there was a
guy very good with nikkors at a camera shop on Columbus a few blocks
down from Broadway. (I'm really dating myself but I think it was the
same block as the old Purple Onion club) on the same side of the
street (North on the block between Jackson and Pacific? or if not
there a few doors down from Tosca's) Could still be there and it's
always worth a trip to North Beach.

Old September 7th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Brace

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Paul:
Your first and fourth photos of the rear of the lens clearly show the AI
tabs on the f-stop ring. Also, in the fourth photo at 12:00 o'clock can be
seen the gouge in the lens mount which marks the lens as an AI-S.
Bob

Old September 7th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Brace

[...]

Also, in addition to my earlier post, the smallest f-stop appears in red
which is usually indicative of the AI-S mount, though not always conclusive.
The gouge in the lens mount is, however.
Bob

Old September 8th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Well, I screwed up partially dissasembling the 75-150 and a ball bearing
fell out of the aperture ring:
http://edgehill.net/Misc/photography/9-7-07-lens-repair/disassemble/pg2pc7
I didn't even notice it falling out but found it on the table... now the
aperture ring does not click at each stop... damn! I could not figure
out where it goes... it did not come out the first time I did this, I
did it again to check where the dust is & take pictures... stupid
stupid. Argh.

Old September 8th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Robert Brace wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

Photos of the lenses themselves showing the dust inside and assembly/screw
details:
http://edgehill.net/Misc/photography/9-7-07-lens-repair

Paul:
Your first and fourth photos of the rear of the lens clearly show the AI
tabs on the f-stop ring. Also, in the fourth photo at 12:00 o'clock can be
seen the gouge in the lens mount which marks the lens as an AI-S.

Hmm, OK so it's a newer AI-S version. Now I remomber that gouge is
diagnostic. I've never seen one without the 'rabbit ear' prong
though.... ah, OK my new 45mm f/2.8 AI-P is like that.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old September 8th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
DoN. Nichols

According to Paul Furman :
Robert Brace wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

Photos of the lenses themselves showing the dust inside and assembly/screw
details:
http://edgehill.net/Misc/photography/9-7-07-lens-repair

Paul:
Your first and fourth photos of the rear of the lens clearly show the AI
tabs on the f-stop ring. Also, in the fourth photo at 12:00 o'clock can be
seen the gouge in the lens mount which marks the lens as an AI-S.

Hmm, OK so it's a newer AI-S version. Now I remomber that gouge is
diagnostic. I've never seen one without the 'rabbit ear' prong
though.... ah, OK my new 45mm f/2.8 AI-P is like that.

The "rabbit ear" as you call it -- and which I call the "half
moon" is common on pre-AI lenses, as well as some AI lenses made during
the time that it was likely that they would still be used on the Nikon F
body with the Photomic T finder to couple to the meter in that finder.

The AI tabs are what are visible in your photos -- really the
results of metal being removed from the aperture ring's skirt prior to
it being finished.

Those lenses With *only* the half-moon will not meter with the
D200 D300 or D3 -- unless the aperture ring is modified to add the AI
features.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old September 8th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Paul Furman" wrote
Well, I screwed up partially dissasembling the 75-150 and a ball bearing
fell out of the aperture ring ... I could not figure out where it goes...

You have probably figured it out by now. BBs are the reason for
putting a bath towel down on the work surface (the towel also makes it
harder to scratch things up should a lens element contact the work
surface).

Usually the BB goes into a little blind hole along with a coil spring
that goes in first. Sometimes instead there is an arrangement of a bent-up
metal gizmo that traps the BB.

The BB's home will be somewhere under the aperture ring. There should be
grooves on the inside of the aperture ring or the outside of the ring's
mounting surface on the lens that the BB 'clicks' against.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index.htm

Old September 8th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Paul Furman" wrote

Well, I screwed up partially dissasembling the 75-150 and a ball bearing
fell out of the aperture ring ... I could not figure out where it goes...

You have probably figured it out by now. BBs are the reason for
putting a bath towel down on the work surface (the towel also makes it
harder to scratch things up should a lens element contact the work
surface).

Usually the BB goes into a little blind hole along with a coil spring
that goes in first. Sometimes instead there is an arrangement of a bent-up
metal gizmo that traps the BB.

The BB's home will be somewhere under the aperture ring. There should be
grooves on the inside of the aperture ring or the outside of the ring's
mounting surface on the lens that the BB 'clicks' against.

Ah ha! Here it is:
http://edgehill.net/Misc/photography/9-7-07-lens-repair/disassemble/pg1pc3
on the top of the pic, you can see the bearing before it fell and the
notches it clicks into. In the upper right of the following pic is the
extension that sits on top with a hole to hold the bearing:
http://edgehill.net/Misc/photography/9-7-07-lens-repair/disassemble/pg1pc1
That's fixed! Thanks.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old September 8th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Oh and here's a pdf describing how to fix the loose zoom action with a
replacement felt pad:
http://photo.net/bboard/uploaded-file?bboard_upload_id=32348784
That's not really my problem but it does show how to begin to get into
the front group of elements where the dust is.