Lens Caps

Old September 1st 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

Default Lens Caps

According to frederick :
Just Shoot Me wrote:

[ ... ]

My Nikon lens cap has never falling off.
Anyone here ever notice problems with Canons lens caps?

Sigma lens caps are the all time lowest. Pinch style cheap
****ty front caps that you can't get on or off with a hood
fitted,

The later Nikon lens caps can be removed either with the pinch
on the OD, or with a pinch in a pair of recesses in the front, which
makes it easier to reach and remove when in a lens hood.

and for some obscure reason, Nikon rear caps that
have to be orientated the right way to fit - like a lens
mount. They are an abomination.

I *like* the Nikon rear caps. I solvent-glue two of them
together to allow two shorter lenses to be stored in one compartment of
the camera bag, where a single longer lens would go.

And there are three orientation which are equally good for
mounting the lens cap, which is not much of a problem.

When one of those goes onto the camera, the one which was just
removed from the camera goes into the just freed cap.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old September 1st 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

The later Nikon lens caps can be removed either with the pinch
on the OD, or with a pinch in a pair of recesses in the front, which
makes it easier to reach and remove when in a lens hood.

Many Canon users replace their lens caps with Tamron ones, which do just
that.

and for some obscure reason, Nikon rear caps that
have to be orientated the right way to fit - like a lens
mount. They are an abomination.

I *like* the Nikon rear caps. I solvent-glue two of them
together to allow two shorter lenses to be stored in one compartment of
the camera bag, where a single longer lens would go.

And there are three orientation which are equally good for
mounting the lens cap, which is not much of a problem.

When one of those goes onto the camera, the one which was just
removed from the camera goes into the just freed cap.

That only works if all your lenses are shortg.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old September 1st 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 01:00:14 GMT, crownfield wrote:

-Do you have Canon Lenscap Firmware 1.2.2 ???\

what a difference!!
after the firmware update,
I have yet to have a canon lens cap fall off!!

I'll bet that it starts falling off again after the next firmware
update.

Old September 1st 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

frederick wrote:
Just Shoot Me wrote:

One thing I have always disliked about my Canon P&S was the lens cap.
Very cheap and would always fall off.
I recently read the same thing again but this time they were talking
about DSLR.
My Nikon lens cap has never falling off.
Anyone here ever notice problems with Canons lens caps?

Sigma lens caps are the all time lowest. Pinch style cheap ****ty front
caps that you can't get on or off with a hood fitted, and for some
obscure reason, Nikon rear caps that have to be orientated the right way
to fit - like a lens mount. They are an abomination.

I got new pinch style 52mm caps for my old lenses & they don't really
fit quite right: they get jammed when in the bag & have to be unscrewed
to get off. Hmph.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old September 1st 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 03:25:57 GMT, Paul Furman wrote:

I got new pinch style 52mm caps for my old lenses & they don't really
fit quite right: they get jammed when in the bag & have to be unscrewed
to get off. Hmph.

Maybe a narrow gasket on the inside of the lens cap would prevent
it from being pushed down too far? A couple of small dots of
silicone sealer might work as well, and when cured is easily trimmed
with a sharp knife or razor blade. It's also easily removed without
requiring tools if you want to re-do or remove it. It also lasts
for decades and unlike many adhesives, doesn't get gummy or make a
mess after a couple of years. It even tolerates camera destroying
heat, but I doubt that you'd care much about salvaging several
silicone dots from a no longer functioning baked camera.

Old September 1st 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Fred Anonymous

"frederick" wrote in message
Just Shoot Me wrote:
One thing I have always disliked about my Canon P&S was the lens cap.
Very cheap and would always fall off.
I recently read the same thing again but this time they were talking
about DSLR.
My Nikon lens cap has never falling off.
Anyone here ever notice problems with Canons lens caps?

Sigma lens caps are the all time lowest. Pinch style cheap ****ty front
caps that you can't get on or off with a hood fitted, and for some obscure
reason, Nikon rear caps that have to be orientated the right way to fit -
like a lens mount. They are an abomination.

I've never had a problem with any Canon lens cap coming off. I've used both
manual and auto-focus Canon lenses.

Regards, Ian.
Nottingham, central England.

Old September 1st 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to David J. Littleboy :

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

The later Nikon lens caps can be removed either with the pinch
on the OD, or with a pinch in a pair of recesses in the front, which
makes it easier to reach and remove when in a lens hood.

Many Canon users replace their lens caps with Tamron ones, which do just
that.

O.K. Tamron also has made the "inside pinch" style lens caps in
the sizes which Nikon has not yet made available.

[ ... ]

I *like* the Nikon rear caps. I solvent-glue two of them
together to allow two shorter lenses to be stored in one compartment of
the camera bag, where a single longer lens would go.

[ ... ]

When one of those goes onto the camera, the one which was just
removed from the camera goes into the just freed cap.

That only works if all your lenses are shortg.

During shooting, the longer lenses can join the shorter ones,
sticking out above the top of the partitions, with the cover not zipped
down. Once the shooting is done, the standard longer lens (a 35-135mm,
FWIW) goes back onto the camera, and everything else fits below the
zipped lid. The longest single lens is the (non AF, but chipped) 180mm
f2.8, which normally is not paired with anything else in the case.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old September 1st 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
acl

On Sep 1, 1:08 am, frederick wrote:

Sigma lens caps are the all time lowest. Pinch style cheap
****ty front caps that you can't get on or off with a hood
fitted, and for some obscure reason, Nikon rear caps that
have to be orientated the right way to fit - like a lens
mount. They are an abomination.

Yes, they're incredible. When I got my Sigma 10-20 and first put the
lens shade on, I could hardly believe it when I realised that the lens
cap was impossible to put back on without removing the shade. And how
about the rear cap? Just incredible. It's like they actively looked
for ways to irritate their users. Or they're idiots. Or both.

Incredible.

Old September 2nd 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul J Gans

David J. Littleboy wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

The later Nikon lens caps can be removed either with the pinch
on the OD, or with a pinch in a pair of recesses in the front, which
makes it easier to reach and remove when in a lens hood.

Many Canon users replace their lens caps with Tamron ones, which do just
that.

O heck. I just try to rememer to take the lens cap off
*before* I put the lens hood on.

and for some obscure reason, Nikon rear caps that
have to be orientated the right way to fit - like a lens
mount. They are an abomination.

I *like* the Nikon rear caps. I solvent-glue two of them
together to allow two shorter lenses to be stored in one compartment of
the camera bag, where a single longer lens would go.

And there are three orientation which are equally good for
mounting the lens cap, which is not much of a problem.

When one of those goes onto the camera, the one which was just
removed from the camera goes into the just freed cap.

That only works if all your lenses are shortg.

If the lens is too long, just take a saw to it... g

--
--- Paul J. Gans