Nikon D200 extra battery

Old August 15th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Matt Clara

Default Nikon D200 extra battery

"Toni Nikkanen" wrote in message

Given the recent hulabaloo with massive battery recalls (laptops,
mobile phones) everywhere, I don't think I'll purchase off-brand or
used batteries anymore. The possible savings are not worth the trouble
if even one battery burns rapidly while in close proximity of your
face.

I think you're watching too much TV.

--
www.mattclara.com

Old August 16th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to Matt Clara :
"Toni Nikkanen" wrote in message

Given the recent hulabaloo with massive battery recalls (laptops,
mobile phones) everywhere, I don't think I'll purchase off-brand or
used batteries anymore. The possible savings are not worth the trouble
if even one battery burns rapidly while in close proximity of your
face.

I think you're watching too much TV.

I would be more concerned with what it would do to the camera
which it was in. And if it is not a Nikon branded battery, what that
might do to the warranty status.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old August 16th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Matt Clara

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to Matt Clara :
"Toni Nikkanen" wrote in message

Given the recent hulabaloo with massive battery recalls (laptops,
mobile phones) everywhere, I don't think I'll purchase off-brand or
used batteries anymore. The possible savings are not worth the trouble
if even one battery burns rapidly while in close proximity of your
face.

I think you're watching too much TV.

I would be more concerned with what it would do to the camera
which it was in. And if it is not a Nikon branded battery, what that
might do to the warranty status.

Enjoy,
DoN.

No where in the camera warranty does it mention off brand batteries--Nikon
doesn't make batteries, though they do put their name on some. Imagine if
they wouldn't warrant the use of their cameras with off brand lenses, or off
brand filters, or off brand camera straps...

--
www.mattclara.com

Old August 16th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

DoN. Nichols wrote:

I would be more concerned with what it would do to the camera
which it was in. And if it is not a Nikon branded battery, what that
might do to the warranty status.

When my cheapo Ritz D70 battery first died, it gave strange error
messages, not a simple battery-low signal.
Old August 16th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to Matt Clara :
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

I would be more concerned with what it would do to the camera
which it was in. And if it is not a Nikon branded battery, what that
might do to the warranty status.

[ ... ]

No where in the camera warranty does it mention off brand batteries--Nikon
doesn't make batteries, though they do put their name on some. Imagine if
they wouldn't warrant the use of their cameras with off brand lenses, or off
brand filters, or off brand camera straps...

But a lens or filter or camera strap is unlikely to damage the
camera if it malfunctions. The battery is *inside* the camera, and if
it shorts and self-immolates, it will do quite a bit of damage to the
camera.

And while the camera may be out of warranty, if you have a
newly-purchased battery from Nikon, it is possible that they will cover
the damage to the camera. With third party batteries, they are less
likely to do so. (There is a certain amount of testing (at least of the
particular battery model) for suitability which goes on before Nikon
slaps their label on one of those batteries.

I know that if *I* were Nikon, I would be reluctant to cover
under warranty damage caused by a third-party battery in the camera.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old August 16th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:59:12 -0400, Matt Clara wrote:

No where in the camera warranty does it mention off brand batteries--Nikon
doesn't make batteries, though they do put their name on some. Imagine if
they wouldn't warrant the use of their cameras with off brand lenses, or off
brand filters, or off brand camera straps...

Whether the warranty mentions off brand lenses or not, if one of
them is responsible for damaging the camera body you can be sure
that Nikon won't ignore that fact any more than if an off brand
battery's overheating damages the camera. If a camera is damaged
because you claim that it fell due to a defective camera strap,
Nikon will also want to examine the strap. What do you think
they'll do if it's recognized as a strap sold exclusively by Ritz or
Walmart? Cheerfully fix the camera at no expense? I don't think so.

If a Nikon DSLR is damaged by a Nikon battery, it won't matter
that you may have had a Sigma or Tokina lens attached at the time.
When the body+battery is shipped back to Nikon, they'll probably
request that you do *not* send the lens with it. Unless, of course,
you're claiming that the lens was also damaged by Nikon's defective
battery. I'm not sure how they would handle the repair or
replacement of the lens, but I'm sure it wouldn't affect how Nikon
deals with the DSLR body and battery. On the other hand, if *any*
battery damages the DSLR due to a DSLR defect (such as shorting out
the battery), Nikon should be responsible for repair/replacement.
If this is what actually happens, good luck - you're at the mercy of
the camera manufacturer - any manufacturer, and you'll have to hope
that they make a reasonable attempt to discover the source of the
problem and honestly report it.

In any case, the manual for my D50 says :

Use the supplied EN-EL3 battery

and
Use only batteries approved for use in this equipment.

Do you think that it might be Nikon's approval that counts, and
not the approval of Batteries4Less?

Old August 16th 07, 06:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Toni Nikkanen

"Matt Clara" writes:

I think you're watching too much TV.

I barely watch TV at all; only some of the Simpsons my PVR
records automatically... instead I read too many web pages:
http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~telsa/boom/

Granted the risk of having yourself or your equipment damaged due to
unofficial batteries is very small, however the risk/reward ratio
doesn't seem too good: You stand to gain a couple of bucks, you stand
to lose your face or at least your admittedly wonderful Nikon DSLR.
Old August 16th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Matt Clara

"Matt Clara" writes:

I think you're watching too much TV.

I barely watch TV at all; only some of the Simpsons my PVR
records automatically... instead I read too many web pages:
http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~telsa/boom/

Granted the risk of having yourself or your equipment damaged due to
unofficial batteries is very small, however the risk/reward ratio
doesn't seem too good: You stand to gain a couple of bucks, you stand
to lose your face or at least your admittedly wonderful Nikon DSLR.

Your comment seemed quite sensational, is all.

--
www.mattclara.com

Old August 17th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Matt Clara wrote:
No where in the camera warranty does it mention off brand batteries--Nikon
doesn't make batteries, though they do put their name on some. Imagine if
they wouldn't warrant the use of their cameras with off brand lenses, or off
brand filters, or off brand camera straps...

The "off-brand" battery manufacturer may have limitted liability for damage to
the camera it was in. After all, these batteries are designed for specific
cameras, so they won't be surprised when you ask them to pay for your D200
because their battery melted down and destroyed your camera. Thus, it is in
their interest to avoid this happenning just like any other manufacturer.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from the
machinations of the wicked.

Old August 17th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
phk

Unless you plan to take a whole lot of flash pictures far away from
charging facilities, you may not need an extra. The battery lasts a
long time.

I discovered recently that I had put the camera in the bag in the "on"
position for a month. Battery was hardly depleted at all. I do have
a spare nikon battery but mostly end up occasionally swapping with the
one in the camera so that I always have a full one around. I think
only once in a couple of years have I changed it during the day, and
that was only because I didn't charge the one in the camera knowing I
had a spare.