Eagle Eating a Baby Seal

Old May 28th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

Default Eagle Eating a Baby Seal

As long as we are doing fights to the death, :-) here is an eagle in my
front yard, not 50 feet from our door. She is eating a baby seal she
and her mate killed a few days before. IIRC I took this in February.

http://www.photography-cafe.com/gall...1646_ver_3.jpg

or http://preview.tinyurl.com/2ow8p7

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old May 29th 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Mon, 28 May 2007 19:53:29 -0400, M-M wrote:

In article 2007052814051716807-christophercampbell@hotmailcom,
C J Campbell wrote:

As long as we are doing fights to the death, :-) here is an eagle in my
front yard, not 50 feet from our door. She is eating a baby seal she
and her mate killed a few days before. IIRC I took this in February.

http://www.photography-cafe.com/gall...1646_ver_3.jpg

or http://preview.tinyurl.com/2ow8p7

An excellent catch of a photo but to my eyes it looks way over-sharpened.

My first impression was "Amazingly sharp!". To the point that a
digital representation looks as sharp as a fine art glossy print!

Old May 29th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

C J Campbell wrote:

As long as we are doing fights to the death, :-) here is an eagle in my
front yard, not 50 feet from our door. She is eating a baby seal she
and her mate killed a few days before. IIRC I took this in February.

http://www.photography-cafe.com/gall...1646_ver_3.jpg

or http://preview.tinyurl.com/2ow8p7

An excellent catch of a photo but to my eyes it looks way over-sharpened.

My first impression was "Amazingly sharp!". To the point that a
digital representation looks as sharp as a fine art glossy print!

M-M is right. This one is over-sharpened, which was really unnecessary.
You can tell by the sort of 'crispy' edges. It was taken with the
70-200mm f/2.8 VR Nikkor, which is plenty sharp enough anyway. But
then, it is only a low res web version.

After I took the picture the bird walked right up to me where I was
standing at the side of the creek and took a drink. She is one
aggressive bird. Eagles will scavenge seals, but to actually attack and
kill one is a bit unusual. The family nests in our back yard and spends
a lot of time around the mouth of the creek where they fish, drink and
bathe. The nest is inaccessible for photography, but it is about five
feet tall. There are also some bears back there. The eagles have been
nesting there for at least 20 years that I know of. The female will
pose for pictures, but the male and the younger eagles are more
skittish. The male is a cleanliness fanatic and he bathes and swims
frequently, but he stays a long distance from me, preferably at least
100 feet.

Old May 29th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Phil, Non-Squid[_3_]

C J Campbell wrote:

[...]

What kind of music do they listen to?

--
Phil

Old May 29th 07, 08:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Richard J Kinch

No doubt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eagles
Old May 29th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

C J Campbell wrote:

[...]

"The Birds," by Vivaldi.

Old May 29th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Fritto Misto

On 2007-05-28 23:05:17 +0200, C J Campbell
said:

As long as we are doing fights to the death, :-) here is an eagle in my
front yard, not 50 feet from our door. She is eating a baby seal she
and her mate killed a few days before.

And you Americans chose this baby-killer as the national symbol?!
--
F. Misto

Old May 29th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2007-05-28 23:05:17 +0200, C J Campbell
said:

As long as we are doing fights to the death, :-) here is an eagle in my
front yard, not 50 feet from our door. She is eating a baby seal she
and her mate killed a few days before.

And you Americans chose this baby-killer as the national symbol?!

It is also lazy, a thief, a coward, and a grave-robber. When they are
walking around you they remind you of nothing so much as chickens. In
other words, it has all the characteristics of nobility, powerful
talons and beak, a blood-curdling shriek, excellent eyesight, and a
willingness to rend its enemies to pieces. It is dangerous to be the
eagle's friend, and fatal to be its enemy.

Old May 30th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

On 2007-05-29 11:58:09 -0700, Fritto Misto
On 2007-05-28 23:05:17 +0200, C J Campbell
said:

As long as we are doing fights to the death, :-) here is an eagle
in my front yard, not 50 feet from our door. She is eating a baby
seal she and her mate killed a few days before.

And you Americans chose this baby-killer as the national symbol?!

It is also lazy, a thief, a coward, and a grave-robber.

Some would call that excellent conservation of energy.

When they are
walking around you they remind you of nothing so much as chickens.

As one of our fore-fathers said...
"Walk softly...but carry a big set of talons."

In
other words, it has all the characteristics of nobility, powerful
talons and beak, a blood-curdling shriek, excellent eyesight, and a
willingness to rend its enemies to pieces. It is dangerous to be the
eagle's friend, and fatal to be its enemy.

Sounds like about as great a choice for a national symbol as could be
imagined...

www.pbase.com/markuson