Requesting Help with Injet Printer Selection - HP C5180 or Canon Pixma MP530?

Old December 22nd 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike

Default Requesting Help with Injet Printer Selection - HP C5180 or Canon Pixma MP530?

These printers are available from COSTCO.

Hi, I need a replacement multifunction inkjet printer (print/scan but fax
isn't necessary).
I've owned two HP multifunction printers, most recently HP 2351, but both
of
them developed
paper feed problems. After spending a couple of hours trying to fix it,
including browsing the
HP website, I decided to cut my losses and get a new printer.

I mainly print text and only occasionally use color and infrequently print
photos and scan infrequently
but need good results when I use it.

Can I refill the inkjet cartridges on the HP C5180 and the Canon Pixma
MP530? If so, which ink is recommended? I read pigment inks are best.

CNET prefers the Pixma MP530 over the C5180.

I'd like to hear from people who have used these printers.

Thanks,

Mike

Old December 22nd 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roger Moss

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Alternatively, get out the screwdriver and rough-up (okay, de-glaze) the
transport rollers which usually cause paper-feed problems - particularly
with HPs.

RM

Old December 22nd 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Aaron

And lo, Mike emerged from the ether
and spake thus:
These printers are available from COSTCO. Hi, I need a replacement
multifunction inkjet printer (print/scan but fax isn't necessary).
I've owned two HP multifunction printers, most recently HP 2351, but
both of them developed paper feed problems. After spending a couple
of hours trying to fix it, including browsing the HP website, I
decided to cut my losses and get a new printer.

Bottom line: no multi-function device will ever be as good at any one
of those functions as a single device would be.

--
Aaron
http://www.fisheyegallery.com
Old December 22nd 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike

"Roger Moss" wrote in message
Alternatively, get out the screwdriver and rough-up (okay, de-glaze) the
transport rollers which usually cause paper-feed problems - particularly
with HPs.

The printer is gone. I didnm't use it more than than two dozen times for a
total of twenty four printed sheets max.

Old December 22nd 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Johnson

Aaron wrote:
And lo, Mike emerged from the ether
and spake thus:
These printers are available from COSTCO. Hi, I need a replacement
multifunction inkjet printer (print/scan but fax isn't necessary).
I've owned two HP multifunction printers, most recently HP 2351, but
both of them developed paper feed problems. After spending a couple
of hours trying to fix it, including browsing the HP website, I
decided to cut my losses and get a new printer.

Bottom line: no multi-function device will ever be as good at any one
of those functions as a single device would be.

Not necessarily so with Canon multifunction printers. Many share the
same print engines as their dedicated photo printers. Case in point is
the MP780 and the iP4000. We have both and each print photos with
identical quality. They even use the exact same print head. In
general, most of Canon's multifunction inkjets are very capable, and
fast, photo printers.
Old December 22nd 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
m Ransley

Default Requesting Help with Injet Printer Selection - HP C5180 orCano...

The Canon mp950 is as good as their single units, but it costs 400 so it
should be.

Old December 22nd 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike

"Michael Johnson" wrote in message

Not necessarily so with Canon multifunction printers. Many share the same
print engines as their dedicated photo printers. Case in point is the
MP780 and the iP4000. We have both and each print photos with identical
quality. They even use the exact same print head. In general, most of
Canon's multifunction inkjets are very capable, and fast, photo printers.

CNET reviews prefers the Pixma 530 over the HP C5180.
How difficult is it to refill the Canon cartridges?

Old December 23rd 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Johnson

Mike wrote:
"Michael Johnson" wrote in message

Not necessarily so with Canon multifunction printers. Many share the same
print engines as their dedicated photo printers. Case in point is the
MP780 and the iP4000. We have both and each print photos with identical
quality. They even use the exact same print head. In general, most of
Canon's multifunction inkjets are very capable, and fast, photo printers.

CNET reviews prefers the Pixma 530 over the HP C5180.
How difficult is it to refill the Canon cartridges?

Canon cartridges are probably the easiest to refill of any brand, even
their chipped cartridges. On the chipped ones you will lose the ink
monitoring capability by refilling the OEM carts but the cost savings
over OEM is huge. Refilling runs less than $1 per cartridge and new OEM
chipped cartridges are going for about $15 each. You will save enough
on one set of refilled carts to buy a new printer!

We have only non-chipped Canon printers and I get prefilled BCI-6
cartridges for about $1.70 each shipped to my door. For that price
refilling isn't worth the hassles. There are some solutions coming to
the market for the chipped printers but they are new and relatively
untested at this point.

IMO, the best deal by far is to try and get a new, or refurbished, Canon
printer that uses the BCI-6 cartridges. For multifunction units the
Canon MP780 is very hard to beat for home/small office use. I have used
an MP780 (same print engine as the iP4000) for the past 1.5 years and it
has performed flawlessly. I don't hesitate to recommend it to others.
Old December 23rd 06, 04:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike

"Michael Johnson" wrote in message Canon cartridges are
[...]

I'll try to find out if the MP530 uses BCI-6 cartridges. Which brand ink
do you use to refill the cartridges?

Old December 23rd 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Johnson

Mike wrote:
[...]

The MP530 uses the new chipped cartridges. I buy cartridges from he
https://www.neximaging.com/