Image Stabilization vs Noise

Old December 21st 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jpc

Default Image Stabilization vs Noise

Based on some published information from a review site, IS point and
shoot camera seem to be more noisy than non IS camera. This I'm
blaiming on electrical pickup from the piezo motors used to move
either a lens element or the sensor.

Anyone have any experience or comments on this topic

jpc
Old December 21st 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor

jpc wrote:
Based on some published information from a review site, IS point and
shoot camera seem to be more noisy than non IS camera. This I'm
blaiming on electrical pickup from the piezo motors used to move
either a lens element or the sensor.

Anyone have any experience or comments on this topic

jpc

My immediate reaction is, no, that cannot be. But did the extra noise
disappear when the IS was switched off? If, by noise, you mean image
"grain", I think it extremely unlike that motor interference would be
sufficiently random in nature to look like noise.

David

Old December 21st 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phil Wheeler

jpc wrote:
Based on some published information from a review site, IS point and
shoot camera seem to be more noisy than non IS camera. This I'm
blaiming on electrical pickup from the piezo motors used to move
either a lens element or the sensor.

Anyone have any experience or comments on this topic

It would help if you provided a link to the review
site.

And: Audio noise in movies or video noise in
images or noise you hear from the camera with
your ears? Unclear.

I have three IS cameras and four IS lenses for my
DSLR. None of these types of noise has been an issue.

Phil
Old December 21st 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob

"jpc" wrote in message
Based on some published information from a review site, IS point and
shoot camera seem to be more noisy than non IS camera. This I'm
blaiming on electrical pickup from the piezo motors used to move
either a lens element or the sensor.

Anyone have any experience or comments on this topic

I would like to read the reviews, too, but I'm guessing the newer IS models
have more megapixles and thus more noise(?).

Old December 21st 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles Schuler

"jpc" wrote in message
Based on some published information from a review site, IS point and
shoot camera seem to be more noisy than non IS camera. This I'm
blaiming on electrical pickup from the piezo motors used to move
either a lens element or the sensor.

I Googled it and found some references to acoustic noise with some IS
cameras.

As the other poster said, cranking up the pixel count without increasing the
sensor size will cause more noise.

Old December 21st 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

"jpc" wrote in message
Based on some published information from a review site, IS point and
shoot camera seem to be more noisy than non IS camera. This I'm
blaiming on electrical pickup from the piezo motors used to move
either a lens element or the sensor.

Anyone have any experience or comments on this topic

jpc

I'm guessing it's because the p&s IS cameras have "digital" stabilization,
which, in many cases, is merely a bump up for ISO and shutter speed, which,
of course, results in more noise...

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old December 21st 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
DougL

Skip wrote:
"jpc" wrote in message
Based on some published information from a review site, IS point and
shoot camera seem to be more noisy than non IS camera. This I'm
blaiming on electrical pickup from the piezo motors used to move
either a lens element or the sensor.

Anyone have any experience or comments on this topic

jpc

I'm guessing it's because the p&s IS cameras have "digital" stabilization,
which, in many cases, is merely a bump up for ISO and shutter speed, which,
of course, results in more noise...

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
www.pbase.com/skipm

Exactly right, as finally concluded in this long thread over the last
two days.

http://tinyurl.com/yj7mpq

Turn it off, if you can, if you don't need it.

Note too that digital image stabilization (DIS) has neither a
stabilization sensor, nor does any image motion. Just ISO bump up,
which amplifies system noise as well. We finally concluded that calling
this IS was quite misrepresentative.

Optical image stabilization (OIS) has a tilt sensor, and a moving
mirror to shift the image.

Charge motion image stabilization has a tilt sensor, and shifts the
image digitally in the pixels electronically.

Inexpensive consumer cameras just have DIS. No sensor, no piezo motors,
no nothing.

Old December 21st 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:43:06 -0800, DougL wrote:

Skip wrote:
"jpc" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, GAWD.

First most point and shoot cameras with image stabilization have optical
image stabilization just like Canon and Nikon DSLRs. It's only the Fuji
and possibly some other other cheap POS cameras that pretend that they
do by increasing the ISO. Second, optical image stabilization does not
use a "moving mirror", one of the elements in the lens moves, those
elements all being lenses unless its a catadioptric.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old December 22nd 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

Skip wrote:
"jpc" wrote in message
[...]

The Oly FE-170 I was flummoxed into buying for my daughter for Christmas has
"digital image stabilization," not an expensive camera, at $150, but from a
respected mfr.
I won't argue your other points, (moving mirror?), but some of them move the
sensor, don't they?

Old December 22nd 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phil Wheeler

DougL wrote:

Optical image stabilization (OIS) has a tilt sensor, and a moving
mirror to shift the image.

Charge motion image stabilization has a tilt sensor, and shifts the
image digitally in the pixels electronically.

Inexpensive consumer cameras just have DIS. No sensor, no piezo motors,
no nothing.

My Canons (S3 IS and SD700IS) do it with optical
elements in the lens system .. just as with the
Canon SLR lenses.

Phil