canon Rebel XTI software

Old December 12th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Default canon Rebel XTI software

Mark B. wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks I am using a PC windows XP home edition
Yup,
Start/settings/control panel/Add Remove software.

Select the program and remove it, reboot.
Restart and install the new software.
Check its working, 'Bobs your Uncle' !!!

If I remove the original software from the PC will I still be able to
download from the smaller digital canon a30 , I think he will still
want to use it for some quick photos when we travel . will the new
drivers work for the smaller older camera. or should i leave all the
files from the original camera in place

Get a card reader instead, then you don't need the drivers from either
camera.

Mark

A card reader is always a good idea, however, using winxp you don't need
any extra drivers (even though canon supply one). You also do not need
zoombrowser except for a couple of features like entering the owner name
into the camera. In the case of higher end models you would need to
check what and where canon offer raw support.
If you connect the camera to winxp without having loaded any software,
the camera and settings wizard will launch. If you elect not to use
that, the camera will show as a device in windows explorer and list pics
it finds. If you have loaded zoombrowser, winxp will give options for
default action. You can still use one of the methods mentioned above.
I'm pretty sure the later zoombrowser will see the earlier camera.
Dave Cohen
Old December 12th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article m,
" wrote:

Mark B. wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks I am using a PC windows XP home edition

Yup,
Start/settings/control panel/Add Remove software.

Select the program and remove it, reboot.
Restart and install the new software.
Check its working, 'Bobs your Uncle' !!!
If I remove the original software from the PC will I still be able to
download from the smaller digital canon a30 , I think he will still
want to use it for some quick photos when we travel . will the new
drivers work for the smaller older camera. or should i leave all the
files from the original camera in place

Get a card reader instead, then you don't need the drivers from either
camera.

Mark

I really do not want to purchase another piece of equipment . I like
haveing the photos on my pc . I use my pc to copy the photos to CD also
to make DVD slideshows . We also e-mail the photos to friends out of
town so I think I need to just work with the PC. It is an option if
all else fails. I hope the Manuals may shed some light. Guess I will
just need to wait until Christmas morning

I don't think you quite "got it". :^)

A card reader isn't really "another piece of equipment" in that it's a
major, separate device to do anything ON. It's a small computer
peripheral that merely plugs into your computer (usually through the
USB port) and allows you to read the memory card (while out of the
camera) directly, rather than reading it through the camera itself.
Many of them are "universal", so you can read any of the card formats
(CF, CF II, XD, SD, etc.). They're only $10-$20 each, normally, so
it's not a huge "equipment" investment, either.

They often allow faster access to the images, too - most versions
nowadays are USB 2.0; many cameras, especially older ones, are still
USB 1.0 (or 1.1), which is about 1/40th the transfer speed[1].
You can also still be shooting with the camera while your pictures are
downloading if you have additional cards. You can also unplug it and
take it to someone else's computer along with the memory card, without
having to carry the camera around, so you can show others your photos,
too.

[1] _theoretically_ - in fact, the claimed "max" speed ratings rarely
occur (note the "*up* *to* XXXmbps" in descriptions of specifications).
Also, most hubs, if you use them with ANY 1.1 devices plugged into them
[even when they are not operating], slow things back down to a total of
12Mbps (divided among the devices). Plugging a USB 1.0 devi8ce in
makes things even slower. Simplistically, this is because of the
nature of the anti-data-collision checking (all devices attached are
polled continuously to see if they have any data waiting for transfer,
and each one can only reply at its native speed). [TIP: if you have
more than one expterrnal USB device (and who doesn't, nowadays?),
always have separate hubs for each speed (1.0, 1.1, 2.0) device type to
avoid this].

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old December 12th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:19:53 -0800, Ken Lucke wrote:

In article m,
" wrote:

Mark B. wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

FWIW, Mitsumi has one that replaces the diskette drive, and even
reads diskettes, for 20 bucks.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old December 13th 06, 12:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark B.

wrote in message
s.com...

Mark B. wrote:

Get a card reader instead, then you don't need the drivers from either
camera.

Mark

I really do not want to purchase another piece of equipment . I like
haveing the photos on my pc . I use my pc to copy the photos to CD also
to make DVD slideshows . We also e-mail the photos to friends out of
town so I think I need to just work with the PC. It is an option if
all else fails. I hope the Manuals may shed some light. Guess I will
just need to wait until Christmas morning

Consider this: the card reader is very small (roughly the size of a credit
card and 1/2" thick), and can stay plugged in to the pc. Transfers will be
faster through the reader than from the camera. You won't be using the
camera batteries to download. No need to worry about drivers or loading
extra software, ever. Some might say you can 'wear out' the card or risk
damaging the pins. Nonsense. I've been using card readers for at least 5
years, never a bent pin and you'll be upgrading to larger cards looong
before you ever 'wear' one out.

Mark

Old December 28th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Dave Cohen wrote:
Mark B. wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Hi Dave .
I loaded the EOS utility software and also the updated version of
Zoombrowser that came with the camera on the pc yesterday . I did not
need to remove the previous version of Zoombrowser . Everything works
fine I did a sample transfer but the transfer from camera to PC is a
little slow with this Camera on My PC. We only have a 1.1 usb port and
it probably wants 2.0 for more speed. I am considering a card reader
but need to read up on them for my own satisfaction . I am not too savy
on this stuff. My DH wants nothing to do with the PC so I am the one
stuck doing the transfers . I know just enough to get in trouble but
not enough to get myself out of trouble . I need simple and fast .
Fran