Can I use Photoshop "Slice" to simply split an image into many parts?

Old October 17th 05, 10:29 AM

Default Can I use Photoshop "Slice" to simply split an image into many parts?

I need to figure out a way ASAP to split a large (8.5 x 11 inches) JPG
image into separate jpgs. My school has printed pages of barcodes, 2
columns by 13 or so. I need to handle about 500 barcodes, and separate
them into separate jpg files to be printed on library cards/badges.

Can I use Photoshop (recent, CS) "Slice" to do this? It's very
confusing as it tries to mainly build a web page etc.

Can anyone clue me in on how to "pretty simply" get the 26 or so
separate image files from one input file?

I have worked (played??) a bit right now with "Slice" and I can get the
slicing set up OK to outline the sections I need...

Many thanks...

Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage

Old October 17th 05, 01:24 PM
Paul Heslop

" wrote:

I need to figure out a way ASAP to split a large (8.5 x 11 inches) JPG
image into separate jpgs. My school has printed pages of barcodes, 2
columns by 13 or so. I need to handle about 500 barcodes, and separate
them into separate jpg files to be printed on library cards/badges.

Can I use Photoshop (recent, CS) "Slice" to do this? It's very
confusing as it tries to mainly build a web page etc.

Can anyone clue me in on how to "pretty simply" get the 26 or so
separate image files from one input file?

I have worked (played??) a bit right now with "Slice" and I can get the
slicing set up OK to outline the sections I need...

Many thanks...

Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage

according to this instruction you can save the images OR html from
slice, but I have to say I've never used the thing

http://www.mediacollege.com/graphics...ool/slice.html

Personally I'd just use the marquee tool and copy and save each
section with that, but I find photoshop cumbersome so I would probably
have used paintshop pro, which has a nice handy 'paste as a new image'
so you could have each section on the work surface until you've
cropped them all then save them in order.

--
Paul (Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me)
Stop and Look
Old October 17th 05, 05:23 PM
Hunt

In article ,
says...

" wrote:

[...]

Slice is not what you want to do. As the barcodes are probably the same
general size with some white background around them, the above method will
work well. Once you have setup your Marquee Selection to the size you want,
Save Selection, place it over the first barcode, Ctrl-J, to create a new Layer
from that barcode. Load Selection (Saved above), click the Lasso (or most
other Selection tools) in the area of the Selection, THEN press Shift to
constrain the move of the Selection, and drag down to the next barcode. Repeat
Ctrl-J. Soon, you will have each barcode on a separate Layer. From here, you
can export each Layer to a New Image, or whatever you wish to do with them.
You could un-check all but one, and then Print it, but I'd migrate each to a
New Image, sized as you wish, so you don't print, say one barcode onto an 8.5
x 11 sheet. You could dispense with the Layer creation, but by creating them,
then saving the Layered image as a PSD, all of the work will be done, and
Saved for later use.

In Paul's method, a few keyboard short-cuts will speed things up: set up
Marquee, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-N (New Image), Click on OK, as PS will setup the New
Image per the size of the image in the Clipboard, Ctrl-S (will bring up
Save_As, and you choose a name for each created New Image. The holding down of
Shift, with a Selection Tool in the Marquee, will allow you to drag the
Selection in a constrained path.

Hunt

Old October 17th 05, 05:41 PM
Dave Cohen

"Paul Heslop" wrote in message
" wrote:

[...]

I had the same thought. I use Serif PagePlus, I would think any serious
editing program would let you copy a selection to the clipboard then paste
with options as new image, into a selection of an exisitng image or as a new
layer. When you paste as new image or layer, the pixel dimensions will be
that of the selection. When you paste into a selection re-sampling will take
place to make the copy physically fit.
I've never looked at slicing, a quick look in the help file states it's
useful for creating navigation bars on web pages, I didn't read any further
since it's something I'll probably never need.
Dave Cohen

Old October 17th 05, 09:04 PM
Hunt

In article .net,
says...

" wrote:

[...]

You are correct. Slices in PS are primarily used to make a portion of the
image interactive (as in an image map) for use in/as a Web page.

Hunt

Old October 17th 05, 09:46 PM
Lorem Ipsum

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to figure out a way ASAP to split a large (8.5 x 11 inches) JPG
image into separate jpgs.

No sweat. The short, easy way is to use ImageReady. Create guides. Slice on
Guides. Save Optimized. Done.
You can do the same in CS and CS2, but not quite as easily.

Old October 17th 05, 09:48 PM
Lorem Ipsum

"Hunt" wrote in message

You are correct. Slices in PS are primarily used to make a portion of the
image interactive (as in an image map) for use in/as a Web page.

He said he wanted JPEG files. That's what he can get from creating guides,
slicing on guides, then save. Three steps to happiness.

Old October 18th 05, 12:20 AM
Bruce Coryell

Paul Heslop wrote:
" wrote:

[...]

Seem like you could accomplish the same thing by selective crops out of
the master image.
Old October 18th 05, 01:07 AM
Paul Heslop

Hunt wrote:

In article ,
says...

" wrote:

[...]

Hah, thanks for that Hunt, I'm lousy at getting things speeded up :O)
Old October 18th 05, 01:07 AM
Paul Heslop

Dave Cohen wrote:

I had the same thought. I use Serif PagePlus, I would think any serious
editing program would let you copy a selection to the clipboard then paste
with options as new image, into a selection of an exisitng image or as a new
layer. When you paste as new image or layer, the pixel dimensions will be
that of the selection. When you paste into a selection re-sampling will take
place to make the copy physically fit.
I've never looked at slicing, a quick look in the help file states it's
useful for creating navigation bars on web pages, I didn't read any further
since it's something I'll probably never need.
Dave Cohen

me too, it was like click, urgh :O)