I'm new to photography and need help picking a camera

Old November 2nd 04, 09:04 AM
LittleHobo

Default I'm new to photography and need help picking a camera

I've been looking at two Fujifilm cameras and would like to know the
pros/cons of them or just general opinions. The two cameras are the E510 and
the S5100. Both look good to me but I can't pick one over the other. Please
help
Old November 2nd 04, 10:24 AM
SleeperMan

LittleHobo wrote:
I've been looking at two Fujifilm cameras and would like to know the
pros/cons of them or just general opinions. The two cameras are the
E510 and the S5100. Both look good to me but I can't pick one over
the other. Please help

Why did you stuck at fuji's? What's your max price, needs etc...big zoom,
manual settings?
I'm quite happy with mine Canon S1 IS. If you're about big zoom, consider
Image Stabilzation (IS), since without it, that big zoom is useless from
hand. Also forget digital zoom, since it's useless. Pixels...if you have no
intention of making biiig photos, it's useless to have anything above 3 or
4M - it just takes more space on the card, and so you need bigger (read more
expensive) one.
And try to find and read some reviews about both cameras and see it's up and
down sides, like noise level, distortion, ease of use etc.
I hear that at Fuji you can't really trun off digital zoom ,which can be
pain in the ass, since you'll shoot some pics and at home figure out that
digital zoom has been used and so pics are very low quality...

Old November 2nd 04, 12:23 PM
Joseph Meehan

LittleHobo wrote:
I've been looking at two Fujifilm cameras and would like to know the
pros/cons of them or just general opinions. The two cameras are the E510
and
the S5100. Both look good to me but I can't pick one over the other.
Please
help

Tell us more about you. Why are you buying a camera? What kind of
photography are you hoping to do?

There are lots of good cameras, that would be bad choices. The more we
know about you and what you want to do, the better we can make suggestions.

I will make one suggestion that should hold true for any camera. Pick
on up and hold it in your hands, see how it feels; move the controls; look
thought the lens; take a picture or two. You want to know it feels right to
you and that things like the delay between pressing the shutter and when it
actually takes the image is acceptable to you.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old November 3rd 04, 06:22 AM
LittleHobo

I decided on these two cameras because the store I would likely buy the
camera from stocks only Fujifilm and sony cameras. I really don't like the
design of most Sony cameras, I think they look silly . I don't know if
they can get other brands or not. My max price is about 400us give or take a
bit.

I've been wanting a camera for a while to take pictures of outings, parties,
etc. but also for those perfect landscapes that you see sometimes.Which is a
good point for the S5100 with the 10x optical zoom. Also a really good
'close up' camera would be nice to take pictures of flowers, and other
detailed shots. Which is one of the features I liked about the E510 it has a
"Super Macro" mode which can take a picture as close as 1" away with very
nice detail (look at the picture of the nickle on www.steves-digicams.com
review of it). Lastly once in a blue moon I list an item or two on ebay and
would like to be able to show what it is I'm selling, but most any digital
camera would be good enough for that.

Thanks for the help!

Old November 3rd 04, 01:26 PM
Joseph Meehan

LittleHobo wrote:
I decided on these two cameras because the store I would likely buy the
camera from stocks only Fujifilm and sony cameras. I really don't like the
design of most Sony cameras, I think they look silly . I don't know if
they can get other brands or not. My max price is about 400us give or take
bit.

I've been wanting a camera for a while to take pictures of outings,
parties,
etc. but also for those perfect landscapes that you see sometimes.Which is
good point for the S5100 with the 10x optical zoom.

Most zoom lenses, especially the long zooms like 10x tend to be very
telephoto but not very wide. It is the wide angle end that is most useful
for landscapes. The 37mm equivalent at the wide angle setting of the S5100
is not exactly wide and would not be a good choice for landscapes. I
suggest something closer to 24-28 mm as a good choice. That extra 9-13mm
makes a world of difference. The wide angle end would be enough by itself
to cause me to go for the E510.

I have held off on buying a good digital until last month due to the
lack of two factors, wide angle and fast shutter reaction at a price I
wanted to spend (a little more than your target price). I got the Canon
20D. It is also larger and heavier than you would likely want but it has a
very short shutter delay and has wide-angle capability equivalent to a 16mm
lens on a 35mm camera.

Also a really good
'close up' camera would be nice to take pictures of flowers, and other
detailed shots. Which is one of the features I liked about the E510 it has
"Super Macro" mode which can take a picture as close as 1" away with very
nice detail (look at the picture of the nickle on www.steves-digicams.com

The S5100 will focus to 4" which is close enough for almost any close-up
you are going to want to do.

review of it). Lastly once in a blue moon I list an item or two on ebay
and
would like to be able to show what it is I'm selling, but most any digital
camera would be good enough for that.

True, considering most do OK on close-ups.

Thanks for the help!

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old November 5th 04, 12:09 AM
becky

"LittleHobo" wrote in message . ..
[...]

You've definitely gotten to broaden your horizons if you want to take
a look at everything available and what may suit you best. The fuji's
and sony's are great camera's, but you are missing out on stuff like
Canon's, Olympus's, and Nikon's. I did some shopping around a little
while back and visited stores from Staples to Best Buy to camera
specific stores. I did what some of the guys here are saying, I
picked up the cameras and checked them out. I ended up getting a good
deal from the Staples site on a Canon PowerShot Pro 1. It has worked
perfectly for me so far. I should be happy with this for a while. My
next camera will hopefully be a little smaller, but have similar
features.