JPEG compression

Old October 25th 04, 06:30 AM
James Ramaley

Default JPEG compression

My camera has various JPEG compression modes. The manual says that
higher compression means lower image quality, but I haven't seen any
difference in the image quality of the two compression levels that I
have been using: FINE (1:4) and NORMAL (1:8). However, I did see a
signigicant difference in file size. What am I missing here?

thanks
Old October 25th 04, 08:22 AM
SleeperMan

James Ramaley wrote:
My camera has various JPEG compression modes. The manual says that
higher compression means lower image quality, but I haven't seen any
difference in the image quality of the two compression levels that I
have been using: FINE (1:4) and NORMAL (1:8). However, I did see a
signigicant difference in file size. What am I missing here?

thanks

Best option to see the difference is to shoot some text and see it - but
usually you'll have to look it magnified, to see the difference.
There's distortion around text. But i agree that there's barely noticeable
difference between fine and normal, there's a bit more between normal and
coarse(or low, whatever your camera says).
Interesting point is that cameras use exactly opposite of usual words -
usually it's said High as high compression (and so low quality), while all
cameras have high as high quality...

Old October 25th 04, 10:27 AM
Gadgets

More noticeable on straight edges and fine detail - signs, textures etc.
Zoom in enough and you'll see the difference, but at 'normal' scales it's
probably so minor a difference as to be negligible. Maybe becomes more
noticeable if you have to lift the shadows too...

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

Old October 25th 04, 11:57 AM
Ron Hunter

James Ramaley wrote:
My camera has various JPEG compression modes. The manual says that
higher compression means lower image quality, but I haven't seen any
difference in the image quality of the two compression levels that I
have been using: FINE (1:4) and NORMAL (1:8). However, I did see a
signigicant difference in file size. What am I missing here?

thanks

There are differences, but you might not be aware of them in any single
photo. Try compressing a picture of your lawn at both compressions
levels, and then compare them blown up onscreen to 200%. That should
show you how they are different, and what effect excess JPEG compression
has on the image quality.