Timelapse of table

Old November 21st 11, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peabody

Default Timelapse of table

I'd suggest you put the camera off to the side a bit rather than
overhead. After all, if you were painting or drawing using an
easel, you'd just put the camera on a tripod positioned behind you
and off to one side. That same kind of perspective ought to work
for desktop work as well.

If you need longer legs on the tripod, well, this is why God made
PVC pipe. Get the size that just accepts the tripod legs, Drill
holes in the pipe at various points, and stick a nail through the
one where you want the tripod leg to bottom out.

Or if you insist on doing the overhead thing, PVC will also be
useful in building whatever scaffold is needed. Not totally rigid,
but ok if you don't bump it, and it will be light and cheap.

Old November 21st 11, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Sandman wrote:

Yeah, great setup. I'm assuming you are working from opposite the
stand, and that the resulting images would be slightly tilted?

Can be corrected in software easily.

BugBear
Old November 21st 11, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
M-M

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

So I want to make a timelapse movie of me drawing, and I will be
drawing on paper on a table. I have a DSLR and I was wondering if you
knew about a good way to mount it above the paper?

I have two tripods and putting them on the table may be a bit
cumbersome but it's possible, but I don't seem to be able to zoom
out/move the camera far up enough without seeing the tripod in frame.
Not a huge problem per se, but I would prefer a mounting solution that
works without seeing it of course.

Any ideas?

Why not use an easel for the drawing so the drawing is vertical? Then
you only need a standard tripod for the camera.

I have done some time lapses myself, if you're interested:
http://home.comcast.net/~mhmyers/tl/tl.html

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:
Old November 21st 11, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peabody[_2_]

M-M says...

Why not use an easel for the drawing so the drawing is
vertical? Then you only need a standard tripod for the
camera.

Yes indeed. Here's a timelapse of drawing on an easel.
Freehand. Pen & ink.

http://vimeo.com/6369624

Old November 22nd 11, 09:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article
,
M-M wrote:

So I want to make a timelapse movie of me drawing, and I will be
drawing on paper on a table. I have a DSLR and I was wondering if you
knew about a good way to mount it above the paper?

I have two tripods and putting them on the table may be a bit
cumbersome but it's possible, but I don't seem to be able to zoom
out/move the camera far up enough without seeing the tripod in frame.
Not a huge problem per se, but I would prefer a mounting solution that
works without seeing it of course.

Any ideas?

Why not use an easel for the drawing so the drawing is vertical? Then
you only need a standard tripod for the camera.

I can't draw on an easel, I paint on one though. But drawing has to be
done horizontally

I have done some time lapses myself, if you're interested:
http://home.comcast.net/~mhmyers/tl/tl.html

--
Sandman[.net]
Old November 22nd 11, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
M-M

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

Why not use an easel for the drawing so the drawing is vertical? Then
you only need a standard tripod for the camera.

I can't draw on an easel, I paint on one though. But drawing has to be
done horizontally

You do realize that a tripod can be reversed so the head hangs from the
bottom?

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:
Old November 22nd 11, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
M-M

In article
,
M-M wrote:

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

Why not use an easel for the drawing so the drawing is vertical? Then
you only need a standard tripod for the camera.

I can't draw on an easel, I paint on one though. But drawing has to be
done horizontally

You do realize that a tripod can be reversed so the head hangs from the
bottom?

Sort of like this:

http://protog.com.au/images/WT-531-t...erse-mount.jpg

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:
Old November 23rd 11, 09:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article
,
M-M wrote:

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

Why not use an easel for the drawing so the drawing is vertical? Then
you only need a standard tripod for the camera.

I can't draw on an easel, I paint on one though. But drawing has to be
done horizontally

You do realize that a tripod can be reversed so the head hangs from the
bottom?

I didn't know that, nor does every tripod allow for that )I have one
that doesn't), and Pete Irwin told me about it and my mind was blown!
I will try to solve it that way

Thanks anyway!

--
Sandman[.net]
Old November 27th 11, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
/g

"Sandman" wrote in message
In article
,
M-M wrote:

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

Why not use an easel for the drawing so the drawing is vertical? Then
you only need a standard tripod for the camera.

I can't draw on an easel, I paint on one though. But drawing has to be
done horizontally

You do realize that a tripod can be reversed so the head hangs from the
bottom?

I didn't know that, nor does every tripod allow for that )I have one
that doesn't), and Pete Irwin told me about it and my mind was blown!
I will try to solve it that way

Thanks anyway!

--
Sandman[.net]

The engineer in me says microphone stand with boom arm. You'd have to
find some way to convert
from the microphone holder threads to the 1/4-20 (?) threads for the camera
mount. Also, probably have
to counterweight the end of the boom opposite the camera for stability as a
camera would be heavier
than a mic......???

/glenn