12/24 sunset panorama

Old December 28th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
JC Dill

Default 12/24 sunset panorama

I'm still working on this one:

http://flickr.com/photos/64853284@N00/335613306/

I'd love feedback, comments, etc.

I'm also looking for recommendations for printers for panoramic
prints.

Thanks!

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
Old December 28th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor

JC Dill wrote:
I'm still working on this one:

http://flickr.com/photos/64853284@N00/335613306/

I'd love feedback, comments, etc.

I'm also looking for recommendations for printers for panoramic
prints.

Nice - I would use an ND grad to let you pull up a bit of detail on the
ground. Where was it taken?

I use ezprints.com for huuuuge panoramas. I printed this one at 12"
tall, full length (up to 60").
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/2114953/1/109368498

Old December 28th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fred Lebow

"JC Dill" wrote in message
I'm still working on this one:

http://flickr.com/photos/64853284@N00/335613306/

I'd love feedback, comments, etc.

I like it.
Thanks

Fred

Old December 28th 06, 09:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dbd

JC Dill wrote:
I'm still working on this one:

http://flickr.com/photos/64853284@N00/335613306/

I'd love feedback, comments, etc.

I'm also looking for recommendations for printers for panoramic
prints.

I've been printing panoramas on an Epson R1800 with 4", 8.3" and 13"
roll papers.
The length limit for user defined paper sizes is 129".

I usually prefer sunrises such as:
http://dbdimages.smugmug.com/gallery/1486688/1/71171153
At a 10:1 aspect ratio it can't be printed to 13" height and fit within
129".

But I don't ignore sunsets:
http://dbdimages.smugmug.com/gallery...21/1/100550973

Late sunsets are tough because there can be an extreme range of
brightness from side to side (or center to sides) as well as
vertically. It helps to shoot raw to maintain as much dynamic range as
possible.

Dale B. Dalrymple
http://dbdimages.com

Old December 28th 06, 10:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ink

"JC Dill" wrote in message
I'm still working on this one:

http://flickr.com/photos/64853284@N00/335613306/

I'd love feedback, comments, etc.

I'm also looking for recommendations for printers for panoramic
prints.

Thanks!

Sweet!

I use www.colormailer.com for panoramic prints - had a 160cm by 40cm done
and was really pleased with the quality.

Cheers,
ink

Old December 28th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JC Dill

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 21:02:09 -0500, Cynicor
wrote:

JC Dill wrote:
I'm still working on this one:

http://flickr.com/photos/64853284@N00/335613306/

I'd love feedback, comments, etc.

I'm also looking for recommendations for printers for panoramic
prints.

Nice -

Thanks. I'm glad you like it! I've made some further edits (thanks
for your suggestions):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64853284@N00/336301857/

I would use an ND grad

I'll try that someday. I wasn't able to try that on 12/24 because:

1) I don't own a ND filter.

2) We took off to take these photos on the spur of the moment and
barely got to the coast in time. We didn't have time to even grab a
tripod, just took our cameras and spare CF cards and kept our finger's
crossed that we'd get there in time. If I'd had a tripod with me I
probably would have taken more panoramas.

3) My sweetie had my wide(r) 24-70 lens, while I was shooting with my
70-200 telephoto. I only thought about getting a panorama near the
end. I have a lot more that are just sunset/waves/beach. Here's one
of his shots with the 24-70:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kirkbrooks/334899954/

to let you pull up a bit of detail on the
ground.

I played with the RAW converter and in Photoshop (using layers and a
layer mask with a gradient to lighten the foreground) to get more
detail in the foreground without blowing out the highlights in the
sunset. There's only a tiny bit of actual "ground" - the dark sand on
the left. The rest is all waves.

Where was it taken?

Half Moon Bay, California. We are in San Carlos, about 30 minutes
away.

I use ezprints.com for huuuuge panoramas. I printed this one at 12"
tall, full length (up to 60").
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/2114953/1/109368498

Thanks for the tip - I forgot that EZPrints does panoramas.

Old December 28th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:44:29 -0800, JC Dill wrote:

I'm still working on this one:

http://flickr.com/photos/64853284@N00/335613306/

I'd love feedback, comments, etc.

I'm also looking for recommendations for printers for panoramic
prints.

Thanks!

jc

I've not yet tried it, but I notice that OfficeMax and Staples offer large
format printing - up to about 3x4 feet.

Old December 28th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randall Ainsworth

In article , JC Dill
wrote:

There's a Half Moon Bay near here, but we haven't had any sunsets like
that in quite a while.