recording audio while viewing photos and associating the two files?

Old December 27th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default recording audio while viewing photos and associating the two files?

ok, the subj is a bit confusing. I have salvaged a bunch of really old
photos recently and scanned them as well. I have two very elderly
relatives left who can identify the pictures (like 15 shoe boxes worth)
and i have begun to see that many of the pictures have interesting
stories to go along with them, the problem is organization of all this
information.

I would like to find some software that can record audio and either
append the audio to the photos (is that even possible?) or say record
audio and (automatically) save the audio file as the same name as the
photo file like Photo_Alexandria_1923.tif and Photo_Alexandria_1923.mp3

Is there any software out there like what i have described? or any
suggestions (other than doing it manually, which i will do if i must
but prefer not to). Any help would really be appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko

Old December 27th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
jakdedert

wrote:
[...]

Use a video camera.

While recording video of your relative describing the picture, pan over
to the picture itself. This is your 'reference shot'; merely a
placeholder to ID the photo in your video. In post-production--using
any good video editing software--replace the reference shot of the photo
with the scanned image.

You'll likely find shots of your relatives, reacting to the photos (and
the memories) as they tell the stories, are at least as interesting as
the photos themselves.

Mix it up.

jak

Old December 27th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Susan Bugher

wrote:

ok, the subj is a bit confusing. I have salvaged a bunch of really old
photos recently and scanned them as well. I have two very elderly
relatives left who can identify the pictures (like 15 shoe boxes worth)
and i have begun to see that many of the pictures have interesting
stories to go along with them, the problem is organization of all this
information.

I would like to find some software that can record audio and either
append the audio to the photos (is that even possible?) or say record
audio and (automatically) save the audio file as the same name as the
photo file like Photo_Alexandria_1923.tif and Photo_Alexandria_1923.mp3

Is there any software out there like what i have described? or any
suggestions (other than doing it manually, which i will do if i must
but prefer not to). Any help would really be appreciated!

Hi Gaiko,

I believe MyAlbum (an image gallery program) has an option to associate
a different sound file with each graphics image.

Program: MyAlbum
Company: MyAlbum
Author: Pierre Meindre
Wa Donationware
http://www.myalbumpro.com/
Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/2000 and XP

Some sound recording apps that have been mentioned in ACF are listed
here - I don't know if any of them have the auto-naming feature you
would like to have:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf...Recorder:Audio

Good luck with your project.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com/advanced_group....comp.freeware

Old December 27th 06, 09:09 AM posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
ups.com

ok, the subj is a bit confusing. I have salvaged a bunch
of really old photos recently and scanned them as well. I
have two very elderly relatives left who can identify the
pictures (like 15 shoe boxes worth) and i have begun to
see that many of the pictures have interesting stories to
go along with them, the problem is organization of all
this information.

I would like to find some software that can record audio
and either append the audio to the photos (is that even
possible?) or say record audio and (automatically) save
the audio file as the same name as the photo file like
Photo_Alexandria_1923.tif and Photo_Alexandria_1923.mp3

Powerpoint can do that.

Is there any software out there like what i have
described? or any suggestions (other than doing it
manually, which i will do if i must but prefer not to).
Any help would really be appreciated!

There are two approaches.

One approach is to use presentation software like PowerPoint and associate
an audio file with each picture, The viewer can then pace himself through
viewing the pictures or you can automate the show by putting each picture up
for a fixed or variable amount of time.

A completely different approach is to turn the pictures into a video. Using
a program like Premiere Elements you can create a video that places the
pictures and audio files along a time line that runs at a fixed rate like a
documentary program on TV.

Old December 27th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Richard Crowley

"jakdedert" wrote in ...
While recording video of your relative describing the picture, pan
over to the picture itself. This is your 'reference shot'; merely a
placeholder to ID the photo in your video. In post-production--using
any good video editing software--replace the reference shot of the
photo with the scanned image.

You'll likely find shots of your relatives, reacting to the photos
(and the memories) as they tell the stories, are at least as
interesting as the photos themselves.

Brilliant! You could put prominent numbers/IDs on the backs
so that you can tell from the video which picture they are looking
at. That way you won't have to continuously bug them to show
which pix they are viewing.

And you can use just the audio track (separately, cued to the
images), or the video as-is.

Old December 27th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
timeOday

jakdedert wrote:

Use a video camera.

While recording video of your relative describing the picture, pan over
to the picture itself. This is your 'reference shot'; merely a
placeholder to ID the photo in your video. In post-production--using
any good video editing software--replace the reference shot of the photo
with the scanned image.

One other suggestion, take the extra few seconds to use a plug-in
microphone instead of the one on the camera. Just clip it to grandma's
collar. This discussion reminded me of a old VHS tape we have of a
deceased relative watching a slide show and 8mm home movies. It's
awfully hard to hear what she is saying.
Old December 27th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Laurence Payne

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:14:37 -0700, timeOday
wrote:

One other suggestion, take the extra few seconds to use a plug-in
microphone instead of the one on the camera. Just clip it to grandma's
collar. This discussion reminded me of a old VHS tape we have of a
deceased relative watching a slide show and 8mm home movies. It's
awfully hard to hear what she is saying.

Not surprised, considering she was deceased.
Old December 27th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Cgiorgio

Actually there is a bunch of programs that can do that. One of them that is:

http://www.ulead.com/dps/runme.htm

Just download their free trial.

ups.com...

Old December 28th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Mike Fields

"timeOday" wrote in message
jakdedert wrote:

Use a video camera.

While recording video of your relative describing the picture, pan
over to the picture itself. This is your 'reference shot'; merely a
placeholder to ID the photo in your video. In post-production--using
any good video editing software--replace the reference shot of the
photo with the scanned image.

One other suggestion, take the extra few seconds to use a plug-in
microphone instead of the one on the camera. Just clip it to grandma's
collar. This discussion reminded me of a old VHS tape we have of a
deceased relative watching a slide show and 8mm home movies. It's
awfully hard to hear what she is saying.

The general suggestion that I have seen is to always (at least
for checking), use headphones plugged into the camera. It
is amazing how many people have taped interviews with grandpa,
gotten grandma to talk about her childhood etc and when they
play back the tape, the fan is running in the background, the
pots and pans in the kitchen are being rattled, the kids talking
off to the side cover her comments etc. One of the best
investments in getting a decent video/audio recording is
the headphones to make sure you are getting what you think
you are getting.

mikey