More for the Megapixel Debate.

Old September 29th 17, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
android

Default More for the Megapixel Debate.

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 11:16:24 +0200, android wrote:

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 00:37:51 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , android
wrote:

Seems you are posting everything twice.

he posts multiple times, cancelling each previous version every time
he
makes a revision, knowing full well that most usenet servers do not
handle cancels, resulting in multiple posts to the reader.

Supersede is a part of the Usenet protocol that should be recognized by
a properly configured server...

except it isn't, and most do not.

Most also employ a time limit. Even from the original author the
supersede will be ignored if it does not arrive within some very short
time of the original posting.

But once an article has started to spread through the wider Internet
you wave goodbye to any chance of of superseding. That may mean you
have only seconds within which to change your mind.

Superseding means that the original article will be canceled and
replaced by a new one in the treads hierarchy.

Except that, as you already been told several times, most news servers
will ignore it. That's why your posts so often arrive in multiple
different copies.

This is why you should make complaints 'bout stuff like this. The Usenet
go very well go into a slide like on a slippery slop inside an active
volcano... How's Krakatoa doing these days? :-))
--
teleportation kills
Old September 29th 17, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

My brother bought a D600 a while ago, then barely used it. Too big &
heavy, too hard to use it (he never managed to learn how to use it).

What was he using before?

He had a Nikon D300.

then he should have felt at home with the d600.

Not exactly.I understand most of his issue, other than the size and weight.
The D300(S) is not a small, or lightweight camera, especially if you add the
battery-grip.

they're both slrs and big and bulky comes with the territory.

unless someone uses only pancake lenses, the lenses dominate the bulk
anyway.

Both my D300 & D300S were of solid construction and intuitive control. When
I handled a D600 in a store, I was disappointed to find toy-like construction

build quality is an unrelated issue from learning how to use the camera.

and UI changes from the D300(S) which seemed to me to be awkward and
illogical.

what ui changes? nearly everything is in the same place. even the menu
buttons are in almost the same order (and clearly labeled so the order
doesn't actually matter), except for the ok button moving to the d-pad
and an i button taking its place.

d300:
http://www.dpreview.com/files/p/arti...s/allroundview.
jpeg
d600:
https://www.dpreview.com/files/p/art...es/allroundvie
w.jpeg

video is new on the d600 but i don't think that was an obstacle in
learning (and it's easy to use anyway).

anyone who has used any other nikon slr would find themselves in
familiar territory with a d600 and easily be producing results without
any issue.

I stuck with my D300S, and felt vindicated in my decision when the D600 oil
splatter, and shutter curtain issues materialized.

manufacturing defects is an unrelated issue from learning how to use
the camera.
Old September 29th 17, 02:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
John McWilliams

On 9/28/17 PDT 5:00 PM, android wrote:
In article , "Russell D."
wrote:

On 9/28/2017 3:16 AM, android wrote:
In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 00:37:51 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , android
wrote:

Seems you are posting everything twice.

he posts multiple times, cancelling each previous version every time he
makes a revision, knowing full well that most usenet servers do not
handle cancels, resulting in multiple posts to the reader.

Supersede is a part of the Usenet protocol that should be recognized by
a properly configured server...

except it isn't, and most do not.

Most also employ a time limit. Even from the original author the
supersede will be ignored if it does not arrive within some very short
time of the original posting.

But once an article has started to spread through the wider Internet
you wave goodbye to any chance of of superseding. That may mean you
have only seconds within which to change your mind.

Superseding means that the original article will be canceled and
replaced by a new one in the treads hierarchy.

FWIW, I didn't see any double posts.

:-))

Those of us on Eternal September are saved.
Old September 29th 17, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
John McWilliams

On 9/27/17 PDT 11:46 PM, android wrote:
In article ,
Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , android
says...

Seems you are posting everything twice.

Your NNTP server is broken!

Unlikely. It's only your posts (and not all of thI'd em) which show up
twice.

Sure it is! It doesn't honor the supersede command... :-ppp

I'd be surprised if Eternal Sept. honored supersedes from other servers
after a few minutes. I love E-S.
Old September 29th 17, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Russell D.[_4_]

On 9/28/2017 6:21 PM, nospam wrote:
In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

My brother bought a D600 a while ago, then barely used it. Too big &
heavy, too hard to use it (he never managed to learn how to use it).

What was he using before?

He had a Nikon D300.

then he should have felt at home with the d600.

Not exactly.I understand most of his issue, other than the size and weight.
The D300(S) is not a small, or lightweight camera, especially if you add the
battery-grip.

they're both slrs and big and bulky comes with the territory.

I would not consider my Canon A1 as big and bulky. For that matter
neither my FTb nor my F1n. Definitely though, all are bigger and bulkier
than my P but not all that much.

Russell
Old September 29th 17, 03:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Russell D.
wrote:

My brother bought a D600 a while ago, then barely used it. Too big &
heavy, too hard to use it (he never managed to learn how to use it).

What was he using before?

He had a Nikon D300.

then he should have felt at home with the d600.

Not exactly.I understand most of his issue, other than the size and weight.
The D300(S) is not a small, or lightweight camera, especially if you add
the
battery-grip.

they're both slrs and big and bulky comes with the territory.

I would not consider my Canon A1 as big and bulky. For that matter
neither my FTb nor my F1n. Definitely though, all are bigger and bulkier
than my P but not all that much.

as slrs, they are definitely bulky, more so than a digital equivalent.
Old September 29th 17, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Russell D.[_4_]

On 9/28/2017 8:24 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Russell D.
wrote:

My brother bought a D600 a while ago, then barely used it. Too big &
heavy, too hard to use it (he never managed to learn how to use it).

What was he using before?

He had a Nikon D300.

then he should have felt at home with the d600.

Not exactly.I understand most of his issue, other than the size and weight.
The D300(S) is not a small, or lightweight camera, especially if you add
the
battery-grip.

they're both slrs and big and bulky comes with the territory.

I would not consider my Canon A1 as big and bulky. For that matter
neither my FTb nor my F1n. Definitely though, all are bigger and bulkier
than my P but not all that much.

as slrs, they are definitely bulky, more so than a digital equivalent.

What would you consider a digital equivalent?
Old September 29th 17, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Russell D.[_4_]

wrote:

My brother bought a D600 a while ago, then barely used it. Too big &
heavy, too hard to use it (he never managed to learn how to use it).

What was he using before?

He had a Nikon D300.

then he should have felt at home with the d600.

Not exactly.I understand most of his issue, other than the size and weight.
The D300(S) is not a small, or lightweight camera, especially if you add
the
battery-grip.

they're both slrs and big and bulky comes with the territory.

I would not consider my Canon A1 as big and bulky. For that matter
neither my FTb nor my F1n. Definitely though, all are bigger and bulkier
than my P but not all that much.

as slrs, they are definitely bulky, more so than a digital equivalent.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hg59zv72o..._1863.JPG?dl=0

My A1 is considerably smaller than the FTb.
Old September 29th 17, 04:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Russell D.
wrote:

they're both slrs and big and bulky comes with the territory.

I would not consider my Canon A1 as big and bulky. For that matter
neither my FTb nor my F1n. Definitely though, all are bigger and bulkier
than my P but not all that much.

as slrs, they are definitely bulky, more so than a digital equivalent.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hg59zv72o..._1863.JPG?dl=0

My A1 is considerably smaller than the FTb.

the 40d has a 'motor drive'. the ftb does not.

the 40d also does *much* more than an ftb could ever dream of and
produce far better results.

you're also ignoring the space taken up by the film you need to carry
for the film camera (and multiple types too).

invalid comparison.
Old September 29th 17, 04:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Russell D.
wrote:

they're both slrs and big and bulky comes with the territory.

I would not consider my Canon A1 as big and bulky. For that matter
neither my FTb nor my F1n. Definitely though, all are bigger and bulkier
than my P but not all that much.

as slrs, they are definitely bulky, more so than a digital equivalent.

What would you consider a digital equivalent?

for a valid comparison, it has to be like versus like.

since a digital slr includes a 'motor drive' and can effectively shoot
an unlimited amount of photos (thousands on a single card, with *many*
additional cards in a pocket), you need to match that on the film side.

that means adding a motor drive with its battery grip along with
needing to carry *lots* of film, and of various types (digital can
change on the fly, including to film types that don't exist), and if
it's a hot day and away from the studio, you'll also need a cooler to
keep all of that film cool.

you'll also need a vest to hold as many rolls as possible, otherwise
it's going to be many trips back to the car. you will also need to
carry some colour balancing filters, unless you don't mind stopping to
change from daylight to tungsten and back mid-roll, that is.

the canon f1n with its motor drive was huge:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...anonf1n/canonf
1highspeed/images/CanonF1NHighspeed_G.jpeg

the a1 with its motor drive is a little bit more compact, but still a
behemoth.
http://www.w1vtp.com/images/my_a1-cp.jpg
https://springerphotographics.files..../img_1431-600p
x.jpg

since digital is not limited to 36 photos per roll, you also need to
add in a bulk film back. 250 photos is a bit better, but still pales to
what a single card can hold.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...anonf1/html/mo
tordrive/MotorMFsetupA.jpg

and since those old film cameras do not support stabilized lenses, you
will also need to lug around a tripod too.

and even if you ignore all of that, those film cameras still don't
produce results anywhere near as good as digital.