user review of Canon 400D, 50 mm f/1.2 L and 70-200 f/4 L IS

Old August 28th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Hilton

Default user review of Canon 400D, 50 mm f/1.2 L and 70-200 f/4 L IS

Some interesting stuff on the sensor cleaning feature, Canon's probable
lack of a 1D or 1Ds replacement in Sept, and assorted other opinions.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...el%20xti.shtml

Bill

Old August 28th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On 27 Aug 2006 17:05:57 -0700, "Bill Hilton"
wrote:

Some interesting stuff on the sensor cleaning feature, Canon's probable
lack of a 1D or 1Ds replacement in Sept, and assorted other opinions.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...el%20xti.shtml

Bill

"Repeat after me: This is not a review. I repeat – this is not a
review!"
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old August 28th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"Bill Funk" wrote:
"Bill Hilton" wrote:

Some interesting stuff on the sensor cleaning feature, Canon's probable
lack of a 1D or 1Ds replacement in Sept, and assorted other opinions.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...el%20xti.shtml

"Repeat after me: This is not a review. I repeat - this is not a
review!"

But he told us what we needed to know: that the UI is not as much of a
disaster as expected but rather works just fine (I think he's forgotten the
300D UI, which was quite nice; it sounds as though Canon may have got it
back to 300D level), and that you do take a hit at ISO 1600.

I wish someone understood dynamic range (which is (max signal)/(noise
floor)), measured it in those terms, and then showed us how to actually use
the measured DR. It looks to me that even Imatest gets it wrong.

PS: There's too many Bills here. Fortunately, they all make reasonable
sense, so there's no real need to keep them straightg. Now the Davids.
We've got axes up the wazoo. Very easy to keep us straight.

David J. Littleboy
Pot: Kettle, though truly beest very very black.
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 28th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

David J. Littleboy wrote:

"Bill Funk" wrote:

"Bill Hilton" wrote:

Some interesting stuff on the sensor cleaning feature, Canon's probable
lack of a 1D or 1Ds replacement in Sept, and assorted other opinions.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...el%20xti.shtml

"Repeat after me: This is not a review. I repeat - this is not a
review!"

But he told us what we needed to know: that the UI is not as much of a
disaster as expected but rather works just fine (I think he's forgotten the
300D UI, which was quite nice; it sounds as though Canon may have got it
back to 300D level), and that you do take a hit at ISO 1600.

I wish someone understood dynamic range (which is (max signal)/(noise
floor)), measured it in those terms, and then showed us how to actually use
the measured DR. It looks to me that even Imatest gets it wrong.

Procedures for Evaluating Digital Camera
Sensor Noise, Dynamic Range, and Full Well Capacities;
Canon 1D Mark II Analysis
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/evaluation-1d2

I hope they are wrong about a new 1D camera. I'm hoping for a
10+ mpixel full frame ultra fast camera with 8+ micron
pixels 14+ bits/pixel for wildlife. If it doesn't come out
this fall, it will be too late for my Africa trip with Bill.
Failing that, I'll probably get the XTi or 30D as a backup
to my 1D II to replace my aging 10D.

Roger
Old August 28th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:59:14 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
wrote:

"Bill Funk" wrote:
"Bill Hilton" wrote:

[...]

One of the things about the 400D that would stop me from buying it (if
I hadn't already replaced it with a 30D) would be the lack of the top
LCD panel. I find it extremely helpful when shooting, and, after the
death of our 3030Z, we replaced it with a 4000Z. We promptly gave that
to our daughter (who loves it), and got the DRebel/300D.
I also don't like the light weight; I really like a little more heft;
the 30D does very well in this respect.

And I'm the only Bill Funk here. :-)
--
Bill Funk