Why Fuss Over Lens Bokeh?

Old May 27th 05, 06:17 PM

Default Why Fuss Over Lens Bokeh?

A buddy of mine posed an interesting question to me, and while I think
I have some of the answer, thought I'd pose it to the group. Why is
lens bokeh perceived as important in the digital world? His point was
it's very easy to add almost any type/quality of blur using PS. He
argues you should shoot sharper than ultimately needed and then add
blur in post-processing. This gives you the ability to choose where
the blur begins and how much you have and at what rate it changes using
a layer mask with a gradient. He concedes that in some cases it can be
hard to do in post processing because of complex foreground and
background relationships, but in almost every case where there's a
single foreground object, PS allows for amazing control, etc. - far
more than a lens ever can.

Thoughts?

Old May 27th 05, 06:52 PM

Tony Polson wrote:

If you think you can use Photoshop to reproduce the effect of smooth
bokeh in a shot taken with a lens that has harsh bokeh, you have a
promising career ahead of you ...

... selling snake oil. I wish you luck.

Yeah, that was my point too. :-)

Old May 27th 05, 07:11 PM
Owamanga

On Fri, 27 May 2005 18:36:37 +0100, Tony Polson wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I guess he's suggesting you shoot everything hyperfocal at f/22 and
fake the DOF blur in photoshop.

Realistically, this approach will take forever, and look like crap.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
Old May 27th 05, 07:33 PM

Owamanga (not-this-bit) wrote:

I guess he's suggesting you shoot everything hyperfocal at f/22 and
fake the DOF blur in photoshop.

Realistically, this approach will take forever, and look like crap.

Right. Shoot sharp and then adjust the bokeh in post processing. His
argument is that bokeh is something that is very well suited to post
processing.

But why do you say it'll look like crap? I would guess that PS can do
blur better than any lens. Of course it'll be time consuming to do it
on a shot by shot basis to say the least.

Old May 27th 05, 10:24 PM
Paul Mitchum

Why is lens bokeh perceived as important in the digital world?

For the same reason sharpness is perceived as important in the digital
world.
Old May 27th 05, 11:37 PM
Musty

wrote in message
oups.com...

A buddy of mine posed an interesting question to me, and while I think
I have some of the answer, thought I'd pose it to the group. Why is
lens bokeh perceived as important in the digital world? His point was
it's very easy to add almost any type/quality of blur using PS. He
argues you should shoot sharper than ultimately needed and then add
blur in post-processing. This gives you the ability to choose where
the blur begins and how much you have and at what rate it changes using
a layer mask with a gradient. He concedes that in some cases it can be
hard to do in post processing because of complex foreground and
background relationships, but in almost every case where there's a
single foreground object, PS allows for amazing control, etc. - far
more than a lens ever can.

Thoughts?

Often when people say they have a friend who wants to ask a question, they
are really protecting themselves - you, or your "friend" dont need to answer
that.

I've tried and _seen_ PS bokehs and they look horrible. If you have a link
of a good one, I would be interested. The bokeh is also a function of
aperture blade construction and hence it would be difficult to mimick this
with say a gaussian blur. Some of us on this NG pay damn good money to have
pictures with things as much out of focus as possible - strange isn't it?

Musty.

Old May 28th 05, 12:04 AM

Musty wrote:

Often when people say they have a friend who wants to ask a question, they
are really protecting themselves - you, or your "friend" dont need to answer
that.

Heh, actually we're having an ongoing email discussion about it in
parallel with this thread. I just sent him a shot of a flower behind
some foreground leaves and with other flowers and plants behind it
taken at f/20. I'm also keeping another pic of the same scene to
myself that I shot at f/2. He's gonna photoshop the f/20 one and then
we'll compare. It'll be interesting. In any event, I'm not good
enough with photoshop to do a good job at it. But he thinks he is.

I've tried and _seen_ PS bokehs and they look horrible. If you have a link
of a good one, I would be interested. The bokeh is also a function of
aperture blade construction and hence it would be difficult to mimick this
with say a gaussian blur. Some of us on this NG pay damn good money to have
pictures with things as much out of focus as possible - strange isn't it?

If his looks good, I'll post it. I told him that one requirement is
that it must not look photoshopped.