Opportunity came knocking!

Old October 21st 15, 11:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

Default Opportunity came knocking!

My wife and I have a friend who took off for Hollywood back in 1999.

She is returning to Milwaukee in triumph and the movie she produced is
premiering here on Thursday.

http://scarapist.com/

http://onmilwaukee.com/movies/articl...scarapist.html

She contacted us in a panic as her publicity photographer had a conflict
and will not be able to do it.

My wife and I gladly snapped up the job.

I will do the candids while my wife will do the posed shots.

Will let everyone know how it goes.
Old October 22nd 15, 12:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 10/21/2015 11:35 PM, wtrplnet wrote:

snip

Will let everyone know how it goes.

Looking forward to seeing the pics. Nice!

OK, camera gear all set...will be heading out this evening

Here is one photo I got of her up on stage the last time she was in town

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3m7mqihkzm...Jean1.JPG?dl=0
Old October 22nd 15, 02:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 10/21/2015 6:54 PM, philo wrote:
My wife and I have a friend who took off for Hollywood back in 1999.

She is returning to Milwaukee in triumph and the movie she produced is
premiering here on Thursday.

http://scarapist.com/

http://onmilwaukee.com/movies/articl...scarapist.html

She contacted us in a panic as her publicity photographer had a conflict
and will not be able to do it.

My wife and I gladly snapped up the job.

My guess is that was not an intentional pun.

I will do the candids while my wife will do the posed shots.

Will let everyone know how it goes.

Break a leg.

--
PeterN
Old October 22nd 15, 03:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 10/22/2015 08:51 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 10/21/2015 6:54 PM, philo wrote:
My wife and I have a friend who took off for Hollywood back in 1999.

She is returning to Milwaukee in triumph and the movie she produced is
premiering here on Thursday.

http://scarapist.com/

http://onmilwaukee.com/movies/articl...scarapist.html

She contacted us in a panic as her publicity photographer had a conflict
and will not be able to do it.

My wife and I gladly snapped up the job.

My guess is that was not an intentional pun.

Oh my...it was not intentional but perhaps subconcious.

I will do the candids while my wife will do the posed shots.

Will let everyone know how it goes.

Break a leg.

I've had both knees replaced I don't need a broken leg now

Old October 22nd 15, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break_a_leg

--
PeterN
Old October 22nd 15, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 10/22/2015 09:26 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 10/22/2015 10:16 AM, philo wrote:

My guess is that was not an intentional pun.

Oh my...it was not intentional but perhaps subconcious.

I will do the candids while my wife will do the posed shots.

Will let everyone know how it goes.

Break a leg.

I've had both knees replaced I don't need a broken leg now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break_a_leg

Don't have to read that,. I know what you meant and thank you!
Old October 23rd 15, 04:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

Default Opportunity came knocking! Follow up

Going through over 1000 shots now.

My wife and I got some real winners.

One thing I forgot about a paying job is that the images are property
of Jeanne Spicuzza so I won't be able to publish any without her
permission.

If you folks get a chance, the movie turned out to be exceedingly good!!!!

What an evening!
Old October 23rd 15, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-23 13:40:09 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Thursday, 22 October 2015 16:35:13 UTC+1, philo wrote:
On 10/22/2015 09:26 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 10/22/2015 10:16 AM, philo wrote:

My guess is that was not an intentional pun.

Oh my...it was not intentional but perhaps subconcious.

I will do the candids while my wife will do the posed shots.

Will let everyone know how it goes.

Break a leg.

I've had both knees replaced I don't need a broken leg now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break_a_leg

Don't have to read that,. I know what you meant and thank you!

Don't mention Macbeth either.

Don't you mean "The Scottish Play"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scottish_Play

Savageduck

Old October 23rd 15, 03:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 10/23/2015 09:21 AM, Savageduck wrote:

snip
Don't have to read that,. I know what you meant and thank you!

Don't mention Macbeth either.

Don't you mean "The Scottish Play"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scottish_Play

Now...I am wondering if I can bring this back to photography.

Last night we did the shooting in a fairly dark movie theater. I
generally do use a flash, but it would have been called for.

The theater is an old landmark and as with art galleries, I was
immediately informed "no flash allowed".

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/milw...l-theatre/info

I was using a Canon G1-X and my wife had the Nikon D5200

Although both cameras have sensitive enough ISO settings to easily do
the job in low light...there was a lot of lag.

It's difficult to shoot faster than one frame every two seconds.

In good light either camera can shoot in rapid succession so I think
it's more to do with the ability to focus in low light rather than the
need for an external battery pack.

Since I've been doing low-level light photography for many years, I am
used to the lag and know how to handle it. Since candid shots are what I
seem to do and like best...the fact that there is a slight delay means
what I see when I snap the shutter is not exactly what I get.

Sometimes I miss one but sometimes I get something better than expected.

My wife however only has experience shooting in good light and
eventually grew so frustrated with the camera, she switched over to her
iPhone and brought Jeanne over to slightly better lighting.

It all worked out fine though as before the shoot, Jeanne understood
that I would be doing the candids and Colleen would be doing the posed
shots.

Most of the posed shots were great...with one being what I would
described as "absolutely nailed it".

One good , posed shot was all that was needed.

So...just wondering if there is a way to shoot faster in low light or if
a different camera would help.
Old October 23rd 15, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-23 14:57:35 +0000, philo said:

On 10/23/2015 09:21 AM, Savageduck wrote:
snip
Don't have to read that,. I know what you meant and thank you!

Don't mention Macbeth either.

Don't you mean "The Scottish Play"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scottish_Play

Now...I am wondering if I can bring this back to photography.

Last night we did the shooting in a fairly dark movie theater. I
generally do use a flash, but it would have been called for.

The theater is an old landmark and as with art galleries, I was
immediately informed "no flash allowed".
http://www.landmarktheatres.com/milw...l-theatre/info

I was using a Canon G1-X and my wife had the Nikon D5200

Neither of those is a particularly good selection for low light photography.

Although both cameras have sensitive enough ISO settings to easily do
the job in low light...there was a lot of lag.
It's difficult to shoot faster than one frame every two seconds.

In good light either camera can shoot in rapid succession so I think
it's more to do with the ability to focus in low light rather than the
need for an external battery pack.

Since I've been doing low-level light photography for many years, I am
used to the lag and know how to handle it. Since candid shots are what
I seem to do and like best...the fact that there is a slight delay
means what I see when I snap the shutter is not exactly what I get.

Sometimes I miss one but sometimes I get something better than expected.

Then you are shooting and are hoping for that magnificent miracle.

My wife however only has experience shooting in good light and
eventually grew so frustrated with the camera, she switched over to her
iPhone and brought Jeanne over to slightly better lighting.

It all worked out fine though as before the shoot, Jeanne understood
that I would be doing the candids and Colleen would be doing the posed
shots.

Most of the posed shots were great...with one being what I would
described as "absolutely nailed it".

One good , posed shot was all that was needed.

So...just wondering if there is a way to shoot faster in low light or
if a different camera would help.

Yes, and yes. Also good fast lenses suitable for low light photography
will also make a big difference.

Remember, if you don't own, or have access to a suitable camera and
lenses for a particular shoot you can rent the body and fast glass.
https://www.lensprotogo.com

Since you are familiar with the Nikon system I would have suggested a
D810 + a 24-70mm f/2.8G, and perhaps a 70-200mm f/2.8G VRII.
https://www.lensprotogo.com/rent/product/nikon-d810-dslr/
https://www.lensprotogo.com/rent/product/nikon-24-70-f2.8/
https://www.lensprotogo.com/rent/product/nikon-70-200-f2.8-vr-ii/

That is a pro set-up which would have given you all you needed to work
that event in any light, good or bad.

Savageduck