iPad, G2, ALL touch screens are disgusting, filthy products

Old May 29th 10, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
SMS

Default iPad, G2, ALL touch screens are disgusting, filthy products

On 27/05/10 10:05 PM, RichA wrote:
And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...WhatsNewsThird

I think it's strange that styluses seem to be taboo. They worked well on
the Palm and Windows Mobile PDAs, and on the tables running the
Microsoft Tablet OS. They allowed you to draw, sign things, and kept the
screen clean.
Old May 29th 10, 02:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"SMS" wrote:
On 27/05/10 10:05 PM, RichA wrote:
And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...WhatsNewsThird

I think it's strange that styluses seem to be taboo. They worked well on
the Palm and Windows Mobile PDAs, and on the tables running the Microsoft
Tablet OS. They allowed you to draw, sign things, and kept the screen
clean.

My take is that groping for a stylus is enough of a pain (and the tiny
screens so ugly) that those things were usable only by the perversely
motivated: the "I'm more high-tech than you" crowd hell-bent on proving
they've got the right idea. But watching my friends use their
iPods/iPhones/whatever, it's clear that they represent an multiple order of
magnitude improvement in usability over anything previous. Flipping amazing.
(And this is from a dyed-in-the-wool Mac hater who bought a Kindle before
the iPad came out just to spite Apple (the Kindle UI is horrible; getting to
a reference number to click it is almost impossible; it's a major disaster,
but I love the thing since I can buy gobs of books and not have to throw any
away).)

So get over it and wash your hands more often: touch screens are worlds
better than anything else.

Maybe safe-solvent soaked screen-wipes will become a big businessg.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old May 29th 10, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 28/05/10 6:36 PM, David J. Littleboy wrote:

My take is that groping for a stylus is enough of a pain (and the tiny
screens so ugly) that those things were usable only by the perversely
motivated: the "I'm more high-tech than you" crowd hell-bent on proving
they've got the right idea. But watching my friends use their
iPods/iPhones/whatever, it's clear that they represent an multiple order of
magnitude improvement in usability over anything previous. Flipping amazing.
(And this is from a dyed-in-the-wool Mac hater who bought a Kindle before
the iPad came out just to spite Apple (the Kindle UI is horrible; getting to
a reference number to click it is almost impossible; it's a major disaster,
but I love the thing since I can buy gobs of books and not have to throw any
away).)

This may be true for phones, though it wasn't true for PDAs. And for
larger screen devices like tablets, the styluses were great for writing,
and the handwriting recognition on XP for table was excellent. You could
also draw on the tablet, and with dual screen support (hooked to a
projector) it was an excellent presentation device.
Old May 29th 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"SMS" wrote in message
[...]

All the PDAs I ever saw were just too small and fiddly to be worth bothering
with if one had anything worthwhile to do with one's time. I never saw them
getting beyond being failed attempts at proof-of-concept.

Again, my _impression_ is that the Apple finger-interface simply works and
is worlds faster that futzing with a stylus. Things like two-finger gestures
mean that these gizmos can be seriously usable, as opposed to futzable with
motivation.

And for larger screen devices like tablets, the styluses were great for
writing, and the handwriting recognition on XP for table was excellent.
You could also draw on the tablet, and with dual screen support (hooked to
a projector) it was an excellent presentation device.

For drawing, the precision of a stylus point would be nice. But for
handwriting (on a tablet sized thing), I'd think a finger would be faster
simply because one can just do it without pulling out the stylus. And for
doing Glen-Beck-chalkboard-things during a presentation, a finger will be
faster.

Anyway, I've been watching stylus interfaces for 40 years (my father was
site engineer for DEC LINK and PDP-7 lab computers that used light-pen input
to CRTs around 1970), and my take is that Apple is the first to make this
sci-fi idea actually usable and real. That's cool.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old May 29th 10, 08:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in
:

"SMS" wrote:
On 27/05/10 10:05 PM, RichA wrote:
And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...57526860244057
4716.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird

[...]

It's a $900 device that falls short of the average $300 netbook in terms
of capability.
Old May 29th 10, 08:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Jeff R.[_3_]

"Rich" wrote in message

It's a $900 device that falls short of the average $300 netbook in terms
of capability.

Would please direct me to a $300 netbook using a touch-screen with the same
facilities? (Two-finger zoom, scroll, rotate...)

Oh, yes... and a similar form factor... like... y'know.... *thickness*!

--
Jeff R.
(No? Then how about a $900 netbook...)

Old May 29th 10, 09:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Jeff R.
wrote:

"Rich" wrote in message
It's a $900 device that falls short of the average $300 netbook in terms
of capability.

Would please direct me to a $300 netbook using a touch-screen with the same
facilities? (Two-finger zoom, scroll, rotate...)

and an ips displays. netbooks have far worse displays.

Oh, yes... and a similar form factor... like... y'know.... *thickness*!

and one with a built in gps, compass and no-contract 3g radio, with 10+
hour battery life.

how well does that netbook work when rotated to portrait orientation?
Old May 29th 10, 11:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital David J. Littleboy wrote:

"SMS" wrote:
[...]

I don't understand why anyone should have a problem with touchscreen
hygiene who doesn't have to disinfect money before touching it.

--
Chris Malcolm
Warning: none of the above is indisputable fact.
Old May 29th 10, 02:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell[_3_]

On 29 May 2010 10:52:30 GMT, Chris Malcolm wrote:

I don't understand why anyone should have a problem with touchscreen
hygiene who doesn't have to disinfect money before touching it.

They actually may. OCDC is a fairly common problem affecting thousands of
people, and has only been diagnosed in the last several decades. The cost
of making fun of these people can be very high, in human terms, and IMHO
not worth the couple of laughs we may get.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
Old May 29th 10, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 29/05/10 3:52 AM, Chris Malcolm wrote:

I don't understand why anyone should have a problem with touchscreen
hygiene who doesn't have to disinfect money before touching it.

Very true. At restaurants where you pay in advance you should either use
a credit card or wash your hands after you pay with cash (or both).