enlarger question

Old February 2nd 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default enlarger question

Tom Phillips tortured some electrons with the following result:

Lloyd Erlick wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:01:37 +0000, Helge Nareid
wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:42:27 -0500, Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at
@the-wire. dot com wrote:

Now that we've seen the results of the election in Palestine,

[... long snip, none of which have anything to with enlargers or
darkrooms ...]

Please, this is to all of the posters going off on this
politically loaded tangent, not only Lloyd Erlick (who I may have
targetted somewhat unfairly in this message).

Whatever the merits (or lack of same) of your views, this has
nothing to do with the theme of this newsgroup, nor indeed the
topic of this thread. Please remove your discussion to a more
appropriate forum.

OK.

I agree there's been way to many sprawling
off topic theads both here and in LF
equipment.

And your idea of being helpful is ... yet another post, with a spelling
error? Sheesh.

--
The only reason corrupt Republicans rule the roost in Washington
is because the corrupt Democrats can't muster any viable opposition.
Old February 2nd 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

snip ass..
Old February 23rd 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

ON Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:57:39 GMT, "Nicholas O. Lindan"
WROTE:

"John" wrote

Actually most Beselers can't be adjusted. Well, not
unless you want to cut the frame.

The 4x5's can. The others ???

FWIW, IMO: I have had Omega and Beseler 45's and they both
do an adequate job. It is a Ford Vs Chevy argument: both
are perfectly adequate, neither is spectacular, and the
choice between them supplies endless unresolvable debate.

The only communal darkrooms I have used were on Army posts, and at
least in the 60s they were equipped with Omega D2s. Served well, (at
least) as long as someone who knew their elbow from their rump was
running the photo lab.

I bought an Omega D4 from a darkroom rental place in Dallas a few
years back. Got a good deal because the owner didn't know anything
about Omegas, only used Beseler 4x5s (he was selling the Omega for the
widow of a friend). He had no problems with the Beseler.

I think once you get to 4x5 and larger formats, it is hard to find a
poorly engineered enlarger. But I love my Durst L-138!

Old February 24th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I think once you get to 4x5 and larger formats, it is hard to find a
poorly engineered enlarger. But I love my Durst L-138!

At least among modern units.
My first 4x5 enlarger was an old unit from the early 50s.
Good right-left alignment.
But difficult to maintain because the head mount wore and front-back
alignment was a real pain.
I ended up proping up the back of the paper easel .... until getting my
Omega ... and that didn't take long to think about.

Collin
KC8TKA