FYI: Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP

Old August 27th 05, 03:54 PM
David H. Lipman

Default FYI: Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old August 28th 05, 07:57 PM
John Phillips

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, at 14:54:20 [GMT GMT] (00:54:20 Sunday, 28 August 2005
where I live) "David H. Lipman" wrote:

What actually does it do, apart from allowing viewing of the RAW images?

Sorry for dumbo question?

--
When you're in love, you're at the mercy of a stranger.

Old August 28th 05, 08:57 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "John Phillips"

| On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, at 14:54:20 [GMT GMT] (00:54:20 Sunday, 28 August 2005
| where I live) "David H. Lipman" wrote:

| What actually does it do, apart from allowing viewing of the RAW images?
|
| Sorry for dumbo question?
|
| --
| When you're in love, you're at the mercy of a stranger.

No it is a fair and good question. One that I can't answer.

It is purely a FYI. I don't have it installed.

Old August 28th 05, 09:59 PM
McLeod

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 04:57:52 +1000, John
wrote:

What actually does it do, apart from allowing viewing of the RAW images?

Sorry for dumbo question?

Yes, it will display thumbnails just like Windows will do with other
image files right now, instead of just an icon and filename.
Old August 29th 05, 05:00 PM
RSD99

wrote:

What actually does it do, apart from allowing viewing of the RAW images?

Sorry for dumbo question?

Yes, it will display thumbnails just like Windows will do with other
image files right now, instead of just an icon and filename.

Whoopee ... and for that we need a 48 Megabyte download ? ? ? ? ?

And ... you need to install the complete (dot)Net package ? ? ? ? ?

What's wrong with IrfanView ... it seems to work quite well for viewing RAW
files (and all other image file types)? AND ... it's a lot smaller and
faster!

www.irfanview.com

Old August 29th 05, 05:31 PM
l e o

wrote:

What actually does it do, apart from allowing viewing of the RAW images?

Sorry for dumbo question?

Yes, it will display thumbnails just like Windows will do with other
image files right now, instead of just an icon and filename.

Whoopee ... and for that we need a 48 Megabyte download ? ? ? ? ?

And ... you need to install the complete (dot)Net package ? ? ? ? ?

What's wrong with IrfanView ... it seems to work quite well for viewing RAW
files (and all other image file types)? AND ... it's a lot smaller and
faster!

www.irfanview.com

It's 6MB, unless you download the full version with .NET and I suspect
you already have .NET runtime module in your system. It's a handy viewer
that is intergrated to the file explorer. Why not get it if your pc is
not too antiqued.
Old August 30th 05, 12:21 PM
David Geesaman

"RSD99" wrote in message
Whoopee ... and for that we need a 48 Megabyte download ? ? ? ? ?

And ... you need to install the complete (dot)Net package ? ? ? ? ?

What's wrong with IrfanView ... it seems to work quite well for viewing
RAW
files (and all other image file types)? AND ... it's a lot smaller and
faster!

www.irfanview.com

Anyone who takes 6+ MB pictures and whines about a 48MB download clearly
is grinding their axe.

Dave

Old August 30th 05, 03:34 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "Kerry"

| Doesn't work for my Pentax *istDS RAWs
|
| --
| Kerry in Langley

Interesting. However, the MS web site does specifically state Canon and Nikon.

"After installing the Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer Powertoy for Windows XP you
will be able to view, organize, and print photos captured in RAW image formats from
supported Canon and Nikon digital cameras"

Old August 31st 05, 04:35 AM
STEPHEN LANTZ

The "Quick Description" states, "photos captured in RAW image formats from
supported Canon and Nikon digital cameras." The white paper lists the
individual models and says it may support RAW formats from other
manufactures but Microsoft hasn't tested them.

Perhaps someday all the manufactures will get together and establish a
universal standard for RAW.

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message
et...
In alt.photography Kerry wrote:

Doesn't work for my Pentax *istDS RAWs

Email Microsoft. Perhaps it is a licensing issue? Anyway, it does
support at least Cannon and Nikon formats [as I have tried both].

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Spammers please contact me at .

Old August 31st 05, 04:43 PM
Barry Pearson

STEPHEN LANTZ wrote:
[snip]
Perhaps someday all the manufactures will get together and establish a
universal standard for RAW.

[snip]

Don't expect all the manufacturers to get together to define one. Two
of them (Leica and Hasselblad-Imacon) already support DNG, and probably
wouldn't see the need to define another format. And I doubt whether the
rest of the manufacturers will be able to jointly define one, because
they would probably see too much risk in giving away their secrets
during the definition process.

I think our best hope is for the manufacturers to use one that they
don't have to jointly define themselves. Canon and Nikon will probably
be the last to do so, in that order.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/