QUESTION: DRY MOUNTING LARGE GLOSSY PRINTS

Old March 27th 04, 08:11 PM
Michael Bonnycastle

Default QUESTION: DRY MOUNTING LARGE GLOSSY PRINTS

HELLO,
I AM GETTING READY TO ATTEMPT DRY MOUNTING SOME 16X20 GLOSSY RC
PRINTS,
MATTED OUT TO 22X28. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT GLOSSY RC LARGER PRINTS
DRY
MOUNTED, CAN TEND TO HAVE A NOTICABLEY UNSMOOTH SURFACE...IS THIS
TRUE? AND CAN ANYTHING BE DONE TO MINIMIZE THIS....I WAS GOING TO
MOUNT ONTO 3/16 FOAM BOARD?

THANKS MUCH,
MIKE
Old March 27th 04, 08:16 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 3/27/2004 12:11 PM Michael Bonnycastle spake thus:

HELLO,
I AM GETTING READY TO ATTEMPT DRY MOUNTING SOME 16X20 GLOSSY RC
PRINTS,
MATTED OUT TO 22X28. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT GLOSSY RC LARGER PRINTS
DRY
MOUNTED, CAN TEND TO HAVE A NOTICABLEY UNSMOOTH SURFACE...IS THIS
TRUE? AND CAN ANYTHING BE DONE TO MINIMIZE THIS....I WAS GOING TO
MOUNT ONTO 3/16 FOAM BOARD?

IF YOU STOP SHOUTING, MAYBE SOMEONE WILL ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.

There, that's better. Take the chewing gum off the "CapsLock" key.

--
.... but never have I encountered a guy who could not be bothered
to make his own case on his own show.

- Eric Alterman on his appearance on Dennis Miller's bomb of a show
on CNBC (3/17/04)

Old March 28th 04, 04:41 PM
Robert Feinman

In article , mcastle70
@aol.com says...
HELLO,
I AM GETTING READY TO ATTEMPT DRY MOUNTING SOME 16X20 GLOSSY RC
PRINTS,
MATTED OUT TO 22X28. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT GLOSSY RC LARGER PRINTS
DRY
MOUNTED, CAN TEND TO HAVE A NOTICABLEY UNSMOOTH SURFACE...IS THIS
TRUE? AND CAN ANYTHING BE DONE TO MINIMIZE THIS....I WAS GOING TO
MOUNT ONTO 3/16 FOAM BOARD?

THANKS MUCH,
MIKE

Make sure you cover the print with release paper or another
smooth material. Add several layers of smooth paper above this
to prevent imperfections in the heating surface from being
embossed onto the print. Make sure the mount and back of the
print are completely free of debris and dust.

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com
Old March 29th 04, 03:17 PM
Michael Bonnycastle

Robert Feinman wrote in message . ..
I AM GETTING READY TO ATTEMPT DRY MOUNTING SOME 16X20 GLOSSY RC
PRINTS,
MATTED OUT TO 22X28. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT GLOSSY RC LARGER PRINTS
DRY
MOUNTED, CAN TEND TO HAVE A NOTICABLEY UNSMOOTH SURFACE...IS THIS
TRUE? AND CAN ANYTHING BE DONE TO MINIMIZE THIS....I WAS GOING TO
MOUNT ONTO 3/16 FOAM BOARD?

THANKS MUCH,
MIKE

Make sure you cover the print with release paper or another
smooth material. Add several layers of smooth paper above this
to prevent imperfections in the heating surface from being
embossed onto the print. Make sure the mount and back of the
print are completely free of debris and dust.

Robert,
Thank you for the help on this...very helpful, it's the first I'd heard
of using Several layers of the release/smooth paper over the print when
in the press. I am hoping that standard 3/16" foam board will be an alright
mounting board, as I had heard a few mixed things..
All the best,
Mike
Old March 29th 04, 11:59 PM
Richard Knoppow

"Michael Bonnycastle" wrote in message
om...
HELLO,
I AM GETTING READY TO ATTEMPT DRY MOUNTING SOME 16X20

GLOSSY RC
PRINTS,
MATTED OUT TO 22X28. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT GLOSSY RC

LARGER PRINTS
DRY
MOUNTED, CAN TEND TO HAVE A NOTICABLEY UNSMOOTH

SURFACE...IS THIS
TRUE? AND CAN ANYTHING BE DONE TO MINIMIZE THIS....I WAS

GOING TO
MOUNT ONTO 3/16 FOAM BOARD?

THANKS MUCH,
MIKE

Dry mounting should result in the smoothest surfaces
possible. You have to use the right procedure. I posted a
long description of the Seal method in this news group some
time ago. You can probably still find it through Google. I
think I saved it last time so will repost if necessary. Its
a lot of typing if I didn't save it:-( The procedure looks
complicated on paper but is actually not.
Original Seal mounting products are now sold by Light
Impressions, http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com
Hunt-Beinfang also makes tissue and presses but they are not
the Seal stuff.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old March 30th 04, 05:40 AM
RWatson767

Mike
ral layers of the release/smooth paper over the print when in the press. I am
hoping that standard 3/16" foam board will be an alright mounting board, as I
had heard a few mixed things.. All the best,

Go to the B&H site and order the mounting book. Best 20 you will ever spend.
Bob AZ
Mike