Nikon dslr image sensor

Old July 19th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
spock

Default Nikon dslr image sensor

Hello Everyone
Does anyone know if Nikon has plans for a DSLR with a full size image
sensor?
Thanks

Old July 19th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
frederick

spock wrote:
Hello Everyone
Does anyone know if Nikon has plans for a DSLR with a full size image
sensor?
Thanks

No, because they don't have any lenses that would cover a full size
sensor of say 36 x 48mm like a Hasselblad HD39.

Otherwise, based on a meta-analysis of rumours, I can confirm that Nikon
is introducing a new dslr called the D3 with exactly 18.7mp on a sensor
slightly smaller than 35mm, but wait there's more...

Also, they're updating the D200 to a "D200s" using the D2x sensor,
miraculously converted to have a s/n ratio better than the mormon
tabernacle in Salt Lake City, but wait there's more...

The D3H is being introduced with a Nikon designed LBCast DX sized sensor
of 10mp, it's going to shoot 10.5 frames per second and focus properly
on static and moving subjects, but wait there's more...

25 new AFS lenses are being released simultaneously, which include
super-fast dx wide and normal primes, long fast zooms with VR, and
updated versions of all existing designs to bring them up to the new
standard of 8 stops advantage from the VR system.

This is all happening on Nikon's 90th birthday, so only a few more days
to wait. If you get in your order now, I've heard a rumour that because
it's Nikon's birthday, the first 10,000 customers to order each item
will be getting it for free. Good luck.
Old July 19th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Jul 19, 9:39 am, "spock" wrote:
Hello Everyone
Does anyone know if Nikon has plans for a DSLR with a full size image
sensor?
Thanks

I believe Nikon is not trying very hard to make one - and I know many
pros who have completely switched from Nikon to Canon because of this.
Here is an interesting interview with a Nikon exec, he never really
comes clean about what they really plan to do regarding a full frame
sensor... http://www.dslrphoto.com/2006/03/02/...r-future-plan/

Caroline
www.canvaspress.com

Old July 20th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
frederick

wrote:
On Jul 19, 9:39 am, "spock" wrote:
Hello Everyone
Does anyone know if Nikon has plans for a DSLR with a full size image
sensor?
Thanks

I believe Nikon is not trying very hard to make one - and I know many
pros who have completely switched from Nikon to Canon because of this.
Here is an interesting interview with a Nikon exec, he never really
comes clean about what they really plan to do regarding a full frame
sensor...
http://www.dslrphoto.com/2006/03/02/...r-future-plan/

Actually, going back to that interview in 2006 - predating the D80 and
d40/40x releases from Nikon and Nikon's subsequent reversal of Canon's
leading position in dslr sales - you can see where he was coming from.
The "pros" switching to Canon *for need* because of lack of Nikon FF
are a small niche anyway, as there are much better solutions than 35mm
sensor for pro studio work and landscape photography (some also still
use film), making the relatively small differences between crop sensor
and 35mm sensor pretty trivial.
If you're a serious Canon shooter, one of the main reasons to go to a
full-frame model is that Canon's current crop sensor lineup just isn't
very good compared with what their competitors offer.
Old July 20th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"spock" wrote in message
u...
Hello Everyone
Does anyone know if Nikon has plans for a DSLR with a full size image
sensor?
Thanks

You would need to ask Nikon, but I don't think they would tell you, even if
they know.

Roy G

Old July 20th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
babaloo

Check with Sony.

Old August 4th 07, 06:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
frederick

spock wrote:
Looks like vaporware and I have heard Nov 2007 unless you know something
else.

As late as November?
Jeesh - I thought we'd be speculating about the D4x, d4h, and D400 by then.
Old August 26th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

spock wrote:

Hello Everyone Does anyone know if Nikon has plans for a DSLR with a full size image sensor? Thanks

Yes.  They just announced the Nikon D3 Full Fram 12MP DSLR.