medium weight monorail?

Old January 10th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default medium weight monorail?

I'm pretty much a LF novice having only tinkered with Graphics and developed
maybe a dozen or so sheets of film. I'm looking for a not-too-heavy monorail
I can use in the field to photograph tall ships, lighthouses, 2-3 story
buildings. I'm looking to spend under $1k used. I considered a 6x9 but I
think that would be too limiting. I thought about a technical or folding
field camera but I figure I might as well go whole hog. It'll be on a tripod
so I don't need a RF and the added tilts, swings & shifts may come in
useful. Weight isn't a huge issue since I expect to transport it in a
wheeled case most of the time. Still, something under 10lbs would be nice. I
checked out http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ (very informative site)
and it mentions Toyo 45cx. That seems to fit the bill - reasonable price,
pretty much a standard, accessories easily available, all reasonable
movements. There was a nice Horseman with 2 lenses & a bunch of accessories
I probably should have bid on but I figured I should consult with the gurus
first. Oh great Kabala does a focusing hood work well or should I just use a
darkcloth?

I already have a 90mm Angulon (does that have enough coverage?) & 270mm
Arton; I'm wondering if I need a 75mm. Thoughts & suggestions appreciated
and thanks to whoever recommended The View Camera (Harvey Shaman). Well
illustrated, thorough without being too technical. More questions arriving
soon; stay tuned.

--
It is not our patriotic duty to send children to be butchered & slaughtered
& to butcher & slaughter others every time a general or a politician gets a

Old January 10th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"seog" wrote in message news:wRCwf.13815$rG5.8088@trndny02...

I already have a 90mm Angulon (does that have enough coverage?) & 270mm
Arton; I'm wondering if I need a 75mm. Thoughts & suggestions appreciated
and thanks to whoever recommended The View Camera (Harvey Shaman). Well
illustrated, thorough without being too technical. More questions arriving
soon; stay tuned.

Angulon or Super Angulon ? There's a difference which may matter.
See
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...neider/p1.html
and
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info.html
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old January 10th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...

Angulon or Super Angulon ? There's a difference which may matter.

Non-Super. That's why I'm wondering if it has enough coverage.

Old January 10th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

seog wrote:
[...]

Have you considered a Toho FC-45X, about $1200:
http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm

Only 3 pounds, with great movements. I've had one for
several years and love it.

Roger
http://www.clarkvision.com
Old January 10th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"seog" wrote in message news:wRCwf.13815$rG5.8088@trndny02...
I'm pretty much a LF novice having only tinkered with Graphics and
developed maybe a dozen or so sheets of film. I'm looking for a
not-too-heavy monorail I can use in the field

Rethink this weight issue. A child can carry an ordinary monorail. Instead
of obsessing about weight, consider how easy it handles, how easy it might
be to carry rather than exclusively looking at weight.

Light cameras blow around easily.
Clamshell field cameras have movements.

Choose wisely.

Old January 10th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Non-Super. That's why I'm wondering if it has enough coverage.

Most Angulons are rated at 90 degrees at f22.

The 90mm has an image circle of about 180mm at that f-stop.

Good for 4x5 with some movements.

Angulons should not be used at widest apertures - f11 is probably
optimum.

Old January 10th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

If used is OK think Toyo 45F (or Omega same camera) much less than a new CX,
interchangable bellows, revolving back, etc. D and E also good but more
limited in features, maybe a little lighter. Or a good wood field camera.
Lighter still, fewer movements, but fast setup and easy to use.

--
darkroommike

Old January 10th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

For what you're photographing, any basic monorail will probably do just
fine.
Even some of the metal field cameras would be suitable. A little rise
and shift
will accomodate the object sizes. You'll just need a bag bellows and
shift as well
as rise/fall.

Using 90mm would be suitable for lighthouses. But for lage ships
(ocean-going
vessels) 75 might be better. Hence the thought of a bag bellows.

And don't be afraid to have two bodies. You could get an inexpensive
monorail
for some of the more critical, but perhaps less freqquent, work
requiring shifting
& such, and then a nicer, more durable body for more frequent use.
more durable.

Collin
KC8TKA

Old January 15th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Rethink this weight issue. A child can carry an ordinary monorail.

There can be a big difference. I *once* took my Horseman LS monorail
into the field. At 15lb for basic standards and rail, I then had to
add backs, lenses on boards, and a beefy Bogen 3036 tripod and ballhead
to support the thing!

Old January 18th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

I used to carry my short rail Calumet C-300 series camera into the field in
a backpack.

Todd

--
See fine art photography at: www.konabear.com