Pentax *ist DS released

Old September 14th 04, 01:00 AM
Darrell Larose

Default Pentax *ist DS released

It's here, the Pentax's answer to the Digital Rebel... MSRP is around USD
$900.
Pentax Press Release
http://www.pentaxusa.com/news/news_d...fm?pressid=205

There is a hands-on at DPreview has their first impressions of the new
affordable Pentax dSLR http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxistds

Darrell Larose

Old September 14th 04, 05:51 AM
Larry R Harrison Jr

According to what I read at dpreview.com it should sell for $700 body only,
not $900. That would be cool if it does.

It looks like a good camera to consider, although I personally like Compact
Flash and prefer for manufacturers to stick with it rather than doing this
madrush to SD. (I also dislike how Nikon's new point & shoot compacts use
SD, although with those I guess it makes more sense.)

LRH

able.rogers.com...

Old September 14th 04, 05:26 PM
this old user

"Larry R Harrison Jr" wrote in message
According to what I read at dpreview.com it should sell for $700 body

only,
not $900. That would be cool if it does.

Cool. Great idea. Means it will not happen.

Old September 14th 04, 06:26 PM
Darrell Larose

"this old user" wrote in message

"Larry R Harrison Jr" wrote in message
According to what I read at dpreview.com it should sell for $700 body

only,
not $900. That would be cool if it does.

Cool. Great idea. Means it will not happen.

Nikkei English News said;

"Pentax Corp. climbed 34 yen, or 8.4 percent, to 437. The camera maker will
begin marketing the world's cheapest and lightest digital single-lens reflex
camera in early November for 95,000 yen, about half the price of an existing
digital SLR camera from the company."

Y95,000 is USD: $868.10 at today's (Sept 14) exchange rate. The kit lens is
probably USD $200, the math says body is around $668, or in retail terms
$669.95

Old September 14th 04, 06:31 PM

Looks like my wait may have paid off. From what I can tell from the reviews, there
are very few significant differences between the *istD and *istDS. A number of issues seem
to be better (ergonomics, USB2.0, memory card write speed, histogram review), and just a few
options missing (hyperprogram, lcd backlight, pc-sync). I suspect that it's a
stepping-stone for a new high-end one in a few months... probably will have 8 MP with a
similar new body.

Most of the features (WB, size/quality, most shooting modes, etc) I don't care too
much about since I shoot raw anyway.

-Cory

Darrell Larose wrote:
: It's here, the Pentax's answer to the Digital Rebel... MSRP is around USD
: $900.
: Pentax Press Release
: http://www.pentaxusa.com/news/news_d...fm?pressid=205

: There is a hands-on at DPreview has their first impressions of the new
: affordable Pentax dSLR http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxistds

: Darrell Larose

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old September 14th 04, 08:23 PM
Charles Robinson

Darrell Larose wrote:
:
: Nikkei English News said;
:
: "Pentax Corp. climbed 34 yen, or 8.4 percent, to 437. The camera maker will
: begin marketing the world's cheapest and lightest digital single-lens reflex
: camera in early November for 95,000 yen, about half the price of an existing
: digital SLR camera from the company."
:
: Y95,000 is USD: $868.10 at today's (Sept 14) exchange rate. The kit lens is
: probably USD $200, the math says body is around $668, or in retail terms
: $669.95

....or is that $868.10 for the body, PLUS $200 for the kit lens?

Man, $868 for the whole deal is awful tempting. I'd like to see what it
thinks of all my "M" lenses, though. Impossible, or just difficult to
use?

-Charles

--
Charles Robinson