The Duck will cost me a lot of time

Old May 20th 10, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

Default The Duck will cost me a lot of time

My wife's cell phone broke and she needed a new phone. While I was there
temptation to get the Droid overcame me. There is no manual. I found the
Verizon tech people not to be very knowledgeable. There are literally
thousands of apps for it. I did not really need another distraction, but I
took the plunge. They really FU's the contact transfer. The advice given was
I need to make changes by hand to over 200 contact numbers and email addys..
Since the Duck mentioned a Droid first and I said I was thinking about it,
it is all the Duck's fault.

--
Peter
Wishing he had thinner fingers and younger eyes

Old May 22nd 10, 01:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

On 2010-05-20 15:49:17 -0700, "Peter" said:

My wife's cell phone broke and she needed a new phone. While I was there
temptation to get the Droid overcame me. There is no manual. I found the
Verizon tech people not to be very knowledgeable. There are literally
thousands of apps for it. I did not really need another distraction, but
I took the plunge. They really FU's the contact transfer. The advice
given was I need to make changes by hand to over 200 contact numbers and
email addys..
Since the Duck mentioned a Droid first and I said I was thinking about
it, it is all the Duck's fault.

OK! OK! I steered you that way.

Yup, the initial setup is a pain, because it is not what you (& I) had
become accustomed to with regular cell phone contact Tx.
However once done I found there was not too much of an issue importing
contacts from my Mac address book into the GMail (I was fortunate in that
the contacts in my Mac address book mirrored what I had in my old cell)
and entries made on the phone showing up on my computer.
E-mail mirrors what is delivered to my Mac.

I think once you get it up and running you will find it quite good.

It is good. Just PITA to set up.

BTW I did not intend my comment blaming you to be taken seriously.

--
Peter

Old May 22nd 10, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

On 2010-05-20 15:49:17 -0700, "Peter"
said:

[...]

No offense taken.
I trusted that once the PITA eased you would be surpisingly happy with it.

True. It is a fun thing.

But it seems to me that Verizon should have some sort of guide to the
basics, instead of arrogantly saying "it's so intuitive, we don't need a
manual." Absent a manual, their support should have been quickly able to
provide basic getting started info.
Some of the basics are not so intuitive, I had to really hunt through layers
to figure out such items as: non-destructive cursor moving to edit phone
numbers; Bluetooth sync, delete apps, where to transfer jpegs, etc.

--
Peter