Which size UV filter do I need?

Old December 25th 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Egan

Default Which size UV filter do I need?

I have a Canon SX1 IS, and cannot determine the size of the UV filter I
should get, or the size of a replacement lens cap. What size in
millimeters UV filter and lens cap do I need?

I don't see the size (in mm) on the lens itself, or in the manual.
Googling, it would seem I need a 52mm lens cap and filter, but I'm not
certain.

-Thanks
Old December 25th 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 17:28:07 GMT, James Egan
wrote:

I have a Canon SX1 IS, and cannot determine the size of the UV filter I
should get, or the size of a replacement lens cap. What size in
millimeters UV filter and lens cap do I need?

I don't see the size (in mm) on the lens itself, or in the manual.
Googling, it would seem I need a 52mm lens cap and filter, but I'm not
certain.

-Thanks

Ideally you would bring your camera to the store and make sure
not mistakes.

Many people use a UV filter to "protect" the lens. If you are
considering buying a UV filter just to protect the lens I suggest you
consider the followoing.

* Very few lenses suffer damage that can be provented by using
a UV filter. Most lenses that are scratched can be repaired for less
than a dollar. (use a black fine point marker or India ink to blacken
the scratch).

* Windy sandy areas do present a special case. There I
recommend protection.

* For the most common types of damage to a lens, a good lens
hood will provide better protection without much of the disadvantages
of a UV filter.

If you are planing on a UV filter to provide filtering of UV
light, you may want to consider that most if not all modern digital
cameras are not sensitive to UV light so using a UV filter will only
add additional layers of glass and possible reduced image quality.
Old December 25th 09, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

James Egan wrote in news:HC6Zm.481285$ua.408736@en-
nntp-05.dc1.easynews.com:

I have a Canon SX1 IS, and cannot determine the size of the UV filter I
should get, or the size of a replacement lens cap. What size in
millimeters UV filter and lens cap do I need?

I don't see the size (in mm) on the lens itself, or in the manual.
Googling, it would seem I need a 52mm lens cap and filter, but I'm not
certain.

-Thanks

Get a hood. UV filters are an abomination that just invite reflections to
ruin images.
Old December 26th 09, 05:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Egan

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 13:38:47 -0500, sligoNoSPAMjoe wrote:

If you are planing on a UV filter to provide filtering of UV
light, you may want to consider that most if not all modern digital
cameras are not sensitive to UV light so using a UV filter will only add
additional layers of glass and possible reduced image quality.

I mainly want a different lens cap. What size should I get?

-Thanks
Old December 26th 09, 06:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

James Egan wrote:
I mainly want a different lens cap. What size should I get?

Take the lens to your favourite local camera store. They will have
different kinds and different sizes of lens caps and should be able to
find you the right model in less than 2 minutes.

jue
Old December 26th 09, 07:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
NameHere

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 05:49:28 GMT, James Egan wrote:

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 13:38:47 -0500, sligoNoSPAMjoe wrote:

If you are planing on a UV filter to provide filtering of UV
light, you may want to consider that most if not all modern digital
cameras are not sensitive to UV light so using a UV filter will only add
additional layers of glass and possible reduced image quality.

I mainly want a different lens cap. What size should I get?

-Thanks

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...changemod e=1

You can get an affordable lens-cap from he

http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/de...m%20lens%20cap

Don't pay for those outrageous prices and shipping charges that Lensmate
charges for their low-quality crap.

You can ALWAYS find something better at lower cost somewhere else than
anything that Lensmate will ever offer at any time. They're scam artists,
pure and simple.

Old December 26th 09, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

wrote:
On Dec 25, 12:28 pm, James Egan wrote:
I don't see the size (in mm) on the lens itself, or in the manual.
Googling, it would seem I need a 52mm lens cap and filter, but I'm
not certain.

Take the camera to your nearest FULL-SERVICE camera store - not Wal-
Mart's camera area - and they'll easily find one for you. That's how
I got mine.

http://www.Internet-Gun-Show.com - your source for hard-to-find stuff!

The SX1 IS is not threaded for a lens cap or filter. There do not seem to
be any purpose-made lens caps available for it other than the one that comes
with it.

It is possible to force a 52mm filter or lens cap to cut threads into the
lens barrel--how long they will last is anybody's guess. I wouldn't
recommend this for a lens cap.

To get a more durable thread one can buy purpose-made adapters that fit into
the bayonet mount for the lens hood. With one in place the hood can't be
mounted--whether this is an issue for the OP depends on his specific needs.
Lensmate has one made out of Delrin, one can find metal ones on ebay. The
price is about the same for all of them--somewhere in the $17-20 range and
shipping.

There are slip-on lens caps available in a variety of sizes--to find the
right size in one of those you really need to take the camera into a camera
store with a decent selection ( and try different sizes until you get the
one that fits.

Old December 26th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
NameHere

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:17:32 -0500, "J. Clarke"

On Dec 25, 12:28 pm, James Egan wrote:
I don't see the size (in mm) on the lens itself, or in the manual.
Googling, it would seem I need a 52mm lens cap and filter, but I'm
not certain.

Take the camera to your nearest FULL-SERVICE camera store - not Wal-
Mart's camera area - and they'll easily find one for you. That's how
I got mine.

http://www.Internet-Gun-Show.com - your source for hard-to-find stuff!

The SX1 IS is not threaded for a lens cap or filter. There do not seem to
be any purpose-made lens caps available for it other than the one that comes
with it.

It is possible to force a 52mm filter or lens cap to cut threads into the
lens barrel--how long they will last is anybody's guess. I wouldn't
recommend this for a lens cap.

Proving that you've never held any camera nor lens-cap in your life. All
spring-clip lens caps for ALL cameras have filter-thread grooves in only
the clip segments of the cap. They spring-fit into filter-threads, or
concentric grooves the same shape as filter-threads--as exists on the SX1
and SX10.

If you people would only post things that you have first-hand knowledge of
the quantity of posts would drop to 1% of what they are now.

The other 99% as exists, of course, being all the speculative crap,
presumptions, and imaginings from all these pretend-photographer
role-playing trolls.

Old December 26th 09, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

[...]

My Nikon lenses are threaded, but I use snap-in lens caps. I just
purchased some from http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/lenscaps.aspx
because I constantly lose them. I also bought some rubber lens hoods
from this company. The prices are very reasonable and the service is
fast.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old December 26th 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Newshound

The SX1 IS is not threaded for a lens cap or filter. There do not seem to
be any purpose-made lens caps available for it other than the one that
comes
with it.

It is possible to force a 52mm filter or lens cap to cut threads into the
lens barrel--how long they will last is anybody's guess. I wouldn't
recommend this for a lens cap.

Proving that you've never held any camera nor lens-cap in your life. All
spring-clip lens caps for ALL cameras have filter-thread grooves in only
the clip segments of the cap. They spring-fit into filter-threads, or
concentric grooves the same shape as filter-threads--as exists on the SX1
and SX10.

Not on my S2 IS and, I suspect, the S1 IS. As another poster said, I use one
of those Chinese sleeves from ebay which fits in the body bayonet, and keep
a UV filter on it. Makes the camera a bit more bulky, but keeps dust out of
the telescoping lens as well as protecting from knocks.