Sigma 70-300mm Sony/Minolta mount lens - a warning

Old October 23rd 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
Calvin Sambrook

Default Sigma 70-300mm Sony/Minolta mount lens - a warning

I post this as a warning for anyone researching this lens before purchase.

I have a Sony a200 and recently bought a Sigma 70-300mm zoom. The reviews
say it makes great pictures and I agree, the optical performance is great,
especially for a cheap-ish lens. What the reviews don't tell you is that
this lens was designed before Sony started fitting more powerful focus
motors to their range of bodies. The extra torque from the newer motor is
clearly too much for the plastic gears in the lens and mine lasted just two
months before failing with stripped teeth. Subsequent research shows I'm
not alone.

Sigma appear to be in denial as emails to them have either been ignored or
in one case I've simply been told they will repair it under warrantee.
Remember that's a two month old lens - I elected to get a refund from the
retailer instead but that's another story for later.

So if you're in the market for a telephoto zoom for a Sony alpha body which
has their "fast focus" motor be warned that the Sigma is just not up to the
job. If you decide to buy one anyway please remember to post a note on
usenet if/when it fails so as to warn others.

Old October 23rd 09, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
nospam

In article , Calvin Sambrook
wrote:

I post this as a warning for anyone researching this lens before purchase.

I have a Sony a200 and recently bought a Sigma 70-300mm zoom. The reviews
say it makes great pictures and I agree, the optical performance is great,
especially for a cheap-ish lens. What the reviews don't tell you is that
this lens was designed before Sony started fitting more powerful focus
motors to their range of bodies. The extra torque from the newer motor is
clearly too much for the plastic gears in the lens and mine lasted just two
months before failing with stripped teeth. Subsequent research shows I'm
not alone.

that's actually a common failure for sigma lenses, not just on sony
cameras.

Sigma appear to be in denial as emails to them have either been ignored or
in one case I've simply been told they will repair it under warrantee.
Remember that's a two month old lens - I elected to get a refund from the
retailer instead but that's another story for later.

good move.

So if you're in the market for a telephoto zoom for a Sony alpha body which
has their "fast focus" motor be warned that the Sigma is just not up to the
job. If you decide to buy one anyway please remember to post a note on
usenet if/when it fails so as to warn others.

just avoid sigma lenses

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.09.12/the-sigma-saga
http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.09.20/lens-repair-data-20
Old October 23rd 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
nospam

In article , John Navas
wrote:

just avoid sigma lenses

Amen. You tend to get what you pay for.

generally true but some sigma lenses are not cheap. for instance, the
sigma 300-800 is $10k and the 120-300 is $3200 (b&h). the 120-300
aspires to be #1 for being unreliable, with an 84.6% failure rate. you
just can't get failure rates like that when you pay less!

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.09.20/lens-repair-data-20
Old October 23rd 09, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
Calvin Sambrook

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , John Navas
wrote:

just avoid sigma lenses

Amen. You tend to get what you pay for.

generally true but some sigma lenses are not cheap. for instance, the
sigma 300-800 is $10k and the 120-300 is $3200 (b&h). the 120-300
aspires to be #1 for being unreliable, with an 84.6% failure rate. you
just can't get failure rates like that when you pay less!

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.09.20/lens-repair-data-20

I'm deeply shocked. For a commercial rental company to openly criticize a
major supplier in the way that lensrentals have done is almost unheard of.
They must be absolutely certain of their position. And what a position, of
Sigma they say:
"Our techs coined the phrase "Sigma'd" to describe any lens that didn't
function."
"[Sigma's] repair turnaround time was, to be charitable, leisurely."
"Sigma was about 5% of our rentals but almost one-third of our customer
complaints."

I wish I'd known about that site before buying.

So any recommendations for a cheap-end (ie. sub £200, it's a hobby after
all) tele zoom for a Sony? My current thoughts are to buy a Sony brand lens
as surely that must be matched to the body, but they get poor optical
reviews. Are Tamron any good?

Old October 23rd 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
nospam

In article , Calvin Sambrook
wrote:

So any recommendations for a cheap-end (ie. sub £200, it's a hobby after
all) tele zoom for a Sony? My current thoughts are to buy a Sony brand lens
as surely that must be matched to the body, but they get poor optical
reviews. Are Tamron any good?

some are and some aren't. it depends on the lens. the tamron 90mm macro
is outstanding, and one of the best macro lenses made. on the other
hand, the tamron 200-400mm was horrible, truly horrible.
Old October 23rd 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital nospam wrote:
In article , Calvin Sambrook
wrote:

So any recommendations for a cheap-end (ie. sub 200, it's a hobby after
all) tele zoom for a Sony? My current thoughts are to buy a Sony brand lens
as surely that must be matched to the body, but they get poor optical
reviews. Are Tamron any good?

some are and some aren't. it depends on the lens. the tamron 90mm macro
is outstanding, and one of the best macro lenses made. on the other
hand, the tamron 200-400mm was horrible, truly horrible.

Same goes for Sony lenses. Their 18-250mm zoom for example is a
rebadged and slightly improved version of the highly respected
18-250mm Tamron. It's a rare manufacturer that makes no good
lenses. And despite the weak focus gear teeth on some of their heavier
long zooms, some of Sigma's lenses are very good too.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old October 24th 09, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
Alan Browne

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
[...]

This has been a known problem for some time but it is good to raise it
as a reminder.

Further reading:
http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008...the-sigma-saga
Old October 24th 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
Alan Browne

nospam wrote:
In article , Calvin Sambrook
wrote:

I post this as a warning for anyone researching this lens before purchase.

I have a Sony a200 and recently bought a Sigma 70-300mm zoom. The reviews
say it makes great pictures and I agree, the optical performance is great,
especially for a cheap-ish lens. What the reviews don't tell you is that
this lens was designed before Sony started fitting more powerful focus
motors to their range of bodies. The extra torque from the newer motor is
clearly too much for the plastic gears in the lens and mine lasted just two
months before failing with stripped teeth. Subsequent research shows I'm
not alone.

that's actually a common failure for sigma lenses, not just on sony
cameras.

It has been a particular problem in the Sony community of late - eg: if
it's bad on Nikon or Canon it is much worse with Sony bodies (from what
I gather on various groups).

Sigma appear to be in denial as emails to them have either been ignored or
in one case I've simply been told they will repair it under warrantee.
Remember that's a two month old lens - I elected to get a refund from the
retailer instead but that's another story for later.

good move.

So if you're in the market for a telephoto zoom for a Sony alpha body which
has their "fast focus" motor be warned that the Sigma is just not up to the
job. If you decide to buy one anyway please remember to post a note on
usenet if/when it fails so as to warn others.

just avoid sigma lenses

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.09.12/the-sigma-saga
http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.09.20/lens-repair-data-20

Yep. Whatever grudging acceptance I've had for Sigma has been reduced
to "avoid" with the lensrentals saga.
Old October 24th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
me[_5_]

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 11:58:04 -0700, John Navas
wrote:

Amen. You tend to get what you pay for.

Not a 100% rule to follow. I'm happy with my Tokina AT-X 124 DX Pro
12-24mm f4 lens, which is substantially cheaper than the Nikon
equivalent. Yes, it's not and AF-S lens, but I couldn't justify the
delta cost for that.
Old October 24th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
michael adams

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Calvin Sambrook wrote:
[...]

When I first read that link last year - the most interesting question
to me apart from the inordinate lengths they're going to blacken Sigma's
reputation, is the fact that the company in question is based in Cordova
Tennessee. Which with all due respect to Tennesseans is surely hardly
anyone's idea of the lens hiring capital of the US, or of the world for
that matter.

Other than this outfit most of the big lens hirers appear to be over the
counter outfits in big cities linked top retailers which branched out into
mail hire with the growth of the internet.

I'm surprised that nobody has ever stopped to question any of this.

None of the other - mostly OTC big city - hirers websites who I checked both
in the US and UK appear to have any problem with Sigma lenses at all. And from
memory one big seller in the UK offers all lenses including Sigma on 2 weeks
approval prior to purchase.

michael adams