A Relic

Old November 4th 14, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

Default A Relic

On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 14:17:44 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bowser
wrote:

I thought I would try to slip in between the Linux invaders with a
little something.
https://db.tt/o4Aks2b7

As usual comments are welcome.

Ah. Mac OS 3.0. AKA, "the disk wiper."

That wasn't ironic, sarcastic, or even ironically sarcastic, but Mac OS

3.0 would certainly be a relic. ;-)

Whoosh!

Whoosh indeed.

There doesn't seem to be much point in even trying.

there was no such thing as 'mac os 3.0'.

system 3 (not mac os 3) was released in the mid-1980s and did not wipe
disks, which were mostly floppies because hard drives were not that
common back then.

the name change to 'mac os' occurred in 1997 with what would have been
system 7.6.

who knows what any of that has to do with a photo of an antique car
that needs a little restoration.

Mac OS 3, or 3.0 did indeed wipe HDs clean, whether or not you wanted
it to. It was a disaster for Apple.

again, there was no such thing as mac os 3.

system 3 in the mid-80s did not wipe hard drives, mainly because there
weren't very many of them back then.

Sorry, I lived through it. It was real, released with the Mac Plus,
and the ".0" version had a horrific bug that wiped hard drives. It got
my XP 20M drive. Deny all you want, it was real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mac_OS
Old November 4th 14, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 20:05:11 -0500, Ron C wrote:

On 11/2/2014 11:30 AM, Bowser wrote:
On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 15:08:10 -0400, nospam

Savageduck wrote:

[...]

And that relates to (highly) functional antique vehicles ...how?

==
Later...
Ron C

I forgot. Just thinking of System 3 has wiped my memory.
Old November 4th 14, 02:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 10/31/2014 7:13 PM, Savageduck wrote:
I thought I would try to slip in between the Linux invaders with a
little something.
https://db.tt/o4Aks2b7

As usual comments are welcome.

It's an interesting image. I wish the, to my eye, distractions were
toned down:
For some reason the driver side head lamp looks as if somebody cleaned it.
My eyes seem to go from the "cleaned" headlamp, to the wagon wheels to
the buggy seat on the right, and then to the main subject.
I think that a touch of grain would improve the image.

--
PeterN
Old November 4th 14, 02:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 11/1/2014 10:18 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

snip

If you hung out in groups in which linguists post - as I do - you'd
recognize the term. I've never seen it applied to *part* of a
photograph created in the editing process before, but it's not that
far a stretch. Symbolism is included in the field of semiotic study,
and photographs often contain symbolism both intentional and
unintentional.

The linguists in that group sound cunning.

--
PeterN
Old November 4th 14, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bowser
wrote:

Mac OS 3, or 3.0 did indeed wipe HDs clean, whether or not you wanted
it to. It was a disaster for Apple.

again, there was no such thing as mac os 3.

system 3 in the mid-80s did not wipe hard drives, mainly because there
weren't very many of them back then.

Sorry, I lived through it. It was real, released with the Mac Plus,
and the ".0" version had a horrific bug that wiped hard drives. It got
my XP 20M drive. Deny all you want, it was real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mac_OS

there's nothing to deny, nor was it any sort of disaster.

system 3 (not mac os 3) shipped with the mac plus in january 1986, the
first mac to officially support external hard drives because of its
scsi port.

system 3 may have been buggy, as .0 releases usually are, but it did
not wipe hard drives, which were very rare then anyway, and it was
updated within weeks to system 3.1.

your hard drive may have been wiped, but it could have been for any of
a number of reasons.
Old November 6th 14, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 13:59:05 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bowser
wrote:

[...]

Sorry, as I said, I owned it, lived through it, and Apple updated it
quickly. My memory is quite clear on this one. system 3 wiped drives,
and I wasn't the only one.
Old November 6th 14, 10:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bowser
wrote:

your hard drive may have been wiped, but it could have been for any of
a number of reasons.

Sorry, as I said, I owned it, lived through it, and Apple updated it
quickly. My memory is quite clear on this one. system 3 wiped drives,
and I wasn't the only one.

i was writing mac software since before the mac plus came out and never
had a hard drive or floppy wiped because of bugs in the system.

your hard drive being wiped could have been due to any of a whole slew
of reasons, including any of the apps you used.