Camera's yeah, first we had wooden, metal, plastic, now cardboard

Old August 4th 14, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Camera's yeah, first we had wooden, metal, plastic, now cardboard

In article , Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
wrote:

we don't teach electrical engineering students how to design circuits
with vacuum tubes anymore. it's not a skill they'll ever need.

For my thesis (I am an electrical engineering major) I did a vacuum tube
AM transmitter, back in 1996 in Kozani (West Macedonia-Greece). My
thought was that it would be a nice add on to the college's
FM-transmitter-for AM each watt is a km of effective range, so that
would reach 50 km. It was quite difficult to find a teacher that would
accept my thesis, but I found one, bought all the materials locally, but
as I was about to get drafted (my deferment was expiring) I left the
transmitter assembled at the lab, and after I got discharged from the
army, I continued my studies in the local college, Iraklion and I got my
degree here, in 2003. The tube transmitter was a very interesting project!

tv/radio transmitters often use tubes, but they're based on existing
designs.

it's not like there are new designs coming out or new tubes to use.
they're the same triodes or whatever they've always been.
Old August 4th 14, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Should we stop manufacturing knitting needles?
Are knitting needles a waste of money.

how is that even remotely relevant? it's not.

we don't teach electrical engineering students how to design circuits
with vacuum tubes anymore. it's not a skill they'll ever need.

There are lots of things like this being built:
http://img2.tradeee.com/photo/115082..._Amplifier.jpg

no there aren't.

and those use existing designs, not new designs.

meanwhile, there are new chips just about every day. it's hard to keep
up. ssd is now using 3d storage rather than 2d. *that* is where the
action is, not in tubes.

we don't teach computer science students how to operate a card punch
either, because it's not something they'll ever need either.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24995...it_ancient_com
puters_in_use_today.html

that doesn't change anything i said.

they do not teach students how to operate a pdp-11 or card punch
anymore.

the only reason those people continue to use outdated computers is
because they're too stubborn to get something newer.

so why teach photography with film cameras?

A good reason is to make the photographer think about avoiding
problems before he takes the photograph rather than relying on an
ability to fix them up later in a computerised patch-up.

nonsense. just because a camera is digital doesn't mean the user is
going to rush things. they can still take time to think things through.

at the end of the day, they'll learn much more than with film, whether
they rush or not. instant results are *very* helpful.
Old August 4th 14, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tim Conway
wrote:

One thing I miss about the "shoot-in" is the critiques and sharing of
photos. I've got paid for some photos, but I've never really considered
myself a professional, but things like this help me to learn. And as far as
digital versus film goes, the archives are full of slides and negatives that
have never been digitized, I'm sure.

so what?

far more photos are uploaded to facebook every *day* than were taken
per *year* at film's peak, and not all photos are uploaded to facebook
(estimates are about 1/5th of what's taken).
Old August 4th 14, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

digital is far more effective in teaching photography than film.

I don't believe any of us said it isn't effective in teaching photography,
even very well. The problem I think we have is your implying that film is
dead and not useful. Personally, I much rather shoot digital. Give me my
old Nikon D200 and photoshop cs and I'm ready. LOL

What's wrong with taking a course just because you enjoy doing what it
teaches?

nothing. however, that isn't the issue. people can spend their money
and time on whatever they want. some spend it wisely and others don't.
that'll never change.

the issue is *teaching* photography, which is vastly more efficient,
less expensive and more effective with digital. students learn faster
and absorb more, plus it's more relevant to their future.
Old August 4th 14, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-08-04 19:43:24 +0000, nospam said:

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Is a brick dryer really the best system for cooking food? Not even

close.

makes you wonder why these stone baked p[issas are popular.
And tehy still put whisky of all sorts oin old barreles rather than the
modern plasic containers.

because they're stuck in the past.

Aah! You just have to love the mellow flavor and subtle tones of the
latest aged in plastic, or stainless steel, whiskies, and brandies.
Those oak barrels are so passé.

Savageduck

Old August 5th 14, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On Sun, 03 Aug 2014 19:38:39 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 8/2/2014 7:29 PM, nospam wrote:

snip

film cameras are a complete waste of money, which is why nobody wants
them, other than collectors who have nothing better to do.

get a cheap digital camera, especially a used one, and you can learn a
*lot* more about photography than you ever could from a film camera.

Here's another unanswered question. If I am wrong about it being
unanswered, anyway.

Should we stop manufacturing knitting needles?
Are knitting needles a waste of money.

Yes.
Old August 5th 14, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 15:43:29 -0400, nospam
wrote:

--- snip ---
so why teach photography with film cameras?

A good reason is to make the photographer think about avoiding
problems before he takes the photograph rather than relying on an
ability to fix them up later in a computerised patch-up.

nonsense. just because a camera is digital doesn't mean the user is
going to rush things. they can still take time to think things through.

But the penalty for not doing so is less with digital than it is with
film.

at the end of the day, they'll learn much more than with film, whether
they rush or not. instant results are *very* helpful.

I'm not arguing in favour of starting with film. I'm answering the
question at the top of this article.

Eric Stevens
Old August 5th 14, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 8/3/2014 9:43 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

film cameras are a complete waste of money, which is why nobody wants
them, other than collectors who have nothing better to do.

get a cheap digital camera, especially a used one, and you can learn a
*lot* more about photography than you ever could from a film camera.

Here's another unanswered question. If I am wrong about it being
unanswered, anyway.

Should we stop manufacturing knitting needles?
Are knitting needles a waste of money.

how is that even remotely relevant? it's not.

we don't teach electrical engineering students how to design circuits
with vacuum tubes anymore. it's not a skill they'll ever need.

we don't teach computer science students how to operate a card punch
either, because it's not something they'll ever need either.

so why teach photography with film cameras?

look to the future, not the past.

just answer the question. It's quite relevant. If you don't see the
relevancy!

Whoosh.

Old August 5th 14, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 8/3/2014 9:57 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
"nospam" wrote in message
In article , PeterN
wrote:

film cameras are a complete waste of money, which is why nobody wants
them, other than collectors who have nothing better to do.

get a cheap digital camera, especially a used one, and you can learn a
*lot* more about photography than you ever could from a film camera.

Here's another unanswered question. If I am wrong about it being
unanswered, anyway.

Should we stop manufacturing knitting needles?
Are knitting needles a waste of money.

how is that even remotely relevant? it's not.

we don't teach electrical engineering students how to design circuits
with vacuum tubes anymore. it's not a skill they'll ever need.

we don't teach computer science students how to operate a card punch
either, because it's not something they'll ever need either.

so why teach photography with film cameras?

look to the future, not the past.

Also, a 200 yr old cast iron skillet can still make a steak as well as any
modern frying pan.

Better, IMHO

Old August 5th 14, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 15:43:24 -0400, nospam
wrote:

makes you wonder why these stone baked p[issas are popular.
And tehy still put whisky of all sorts oin old barreles rather than the
modern plasic containers.

because they're stuck in the past.

You don't know much about making whisky. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_malt_whisky

Eric Stevens