GPS

Old September 1st 04, 03:00 AM
Prometheus

In article , Jeremy Nixon
writes
Prometheus wrote:

N.B. A GPS receiver without a serial port is not NEMA compliant, a
laptop without a serial port is not NEMA compliant.

Why would I care about NEMA compliance? I just want it to work.

It's the standard that they work to, perhaps you should care. If you can
not be bothered to look at the requirements of a product before you buy
it it is your own fault.

If I wanted to use a laptop with a GPS receiver I would buy one that has
a serial port, in fact I would want a serial port anyway.

People don't buy laptops to work with GPS receivers; quite the opposite.

Strange idea, buying a laptop that wont work them complaining about the
nasty GPS Rx people for being standard unlike your laptop.

--
Ian G8ILZ
Old September 1st 04, 03:03 AM
Prometheus

In article , Jeremy Nixon
writes
And that's sad, when the industry refuses to make things people want
and are willing to pay for. Though I think I now understand why, with
all these people who insist that anything anyone might want to use a
GPS unit for that deviates from the Sacred Way That Shall Not Be
Questioned must be wrong in what they want.

When you refuse to do a job the way that works because it is not
fashionable then it is very misguided.
--
Ian G8ILZ

Old September 1st 04, 03:06 AM
Prometheus

In article , Jeremy Nixon
writes
Prometheus wrote:

Nope, the technology already exists, if a laptop manufacture does not
included they have lost a sale.

Lost a sale to, what, one of the five people who would actually buy a laptop
based on their GPS receiver?

I suspect more than one in five informed people purchase equipment to
work together, do you think that people buy equipment so that it will
not work. Incidentally I would want a serial port anyway.

--
Ian G8ILZ

Old September 1st 04, 03:11 AM
Prometheus

In article , Dave Martindale
writes
Jeremy Nixon writes:
Or you can get GPS receivers with USB interfaces directly on the unit.
Maybe the manufacturers are cleverer than you think.

You have just destroyed his entire false reason for moaning.

--
Ian G8ILZ

Old September 1st 04, 03:50 AM
Jeremy Nixon

Prometheus wrote:

Strange idea, buying a laptop that wont work them complaining about the
nasty GPS Rx people for being standard unlike your laptop.

Strange idea, buying a laptop based on the needs of a GPS receiver.
People don't do that, and suggesting that they do or should is silly.

--
Jeremy |

Old September 1st 04, 03:51 AM
Jeremy Nixon

Prometheus wrote:

When you refuse to do a job the way that works because it is not
fashionable then it is very misguided.

When you insist that other people do a job the way that works for you, even
though it will not work for them, it is very silly.

--
Jeremy |