panasonic fz30

Old January 11th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default panasonic fz30

I almost bought the panasonic fz30 right after Christmas. Anyone here
own it?
Old January 12th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"georgia taylor" wrote in message
I almost bought the panasonic fz30 right after Christmas. Anyone here own
it?

I do. I like it. I have previously used Oly C2100, Canon Pro90IS, and
Panasonic FZ10 and FZ20. The FZ5 is nice too.
--
Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gfoley9999/

Old January 12th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

georgia taylor wrote:
I almost bought the panasonic fz30 right after Christmas. Anyone here
own it?

You might also want to ask in the rec.photo.digital.zlr newsgroup. There
are quite a few FZ30 owners there.

David

Old January 12th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I almost bought the Jaguar XJ6 right after Christmas, anyone here own
it?

Old January 12th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

georgia taylor wrote:

I almost bought the panasonic fz30 right after Christmas. Anyone here
own it?

Yes. Great camera. I bought a 55mm UV filter yesterday to protect THAT
GLASS! I use a Pentax *ist D normally, but when a high power zoom is
needed, The Panasonic is easier to deal with than a bag full of lenses.
Call me lazy. I usually have it set to a five MP picture size. That way
you get almost a 20X optical zoom factor.

mike
Old January 12th 06, 11:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bolshoy Huy wrote:
I almost bought the Jaguar XJ6 right after Christmas, anyone here own
it?

Yes. I prefer the BMW 7-series, but that's just my own opinion. A Jag is a
Ford with trimmings, pure and simple.

Old January 12th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"The Panasonic is easier to deal with than a bag full of lenses.
Call me lazy.

--that's why I am considering buying it instead of a real SLR.
a 420mm lens costs too much and is too bulky.
A $550 8mp 420mm camera would do just fine for me.

I usually have it set to a five MP picture size. That way
you get almost a 20X optical zoom factor.
--that makes no sense. if you set to 3mp you get even more zoom.
if 420mm is the max, whats the point?

Old January 12th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I have it and love it.

Old January 13th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bolshoy Huy wrote:

I usually have it set to a five MP picture size. That way
you get almost a 20X optical zoom factor.

--that makes no sense. if you set to 3mp you get even more zoom.
if 420mm is the max, whats the point?

You are right. I must start to read my posts before sending. Page 34 of
the manual says:

8, 7, 5.5 MP res. Zoom = 12X

5, 4.5 MP res extended zoom = 15.3X

3, 2, 1, 2.5 MP res extended zoom = 19.1

This is all before the 4X digital zoom is even started.I haven't had any
need.for the 76.5X combined zoom (at 3 mp)

Neat camera and a perfect excuse to have SOMETHING with Leica written on
it sitting around the house....

mike
Old January 13th 06, 06:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 03:26:07 GMT, m II wrote:

You are right. I must start to read my posts before sending. Page 34 of
the manual says:

8, 7, 5.5 MP res. Zoom = 12X

5, 4.5 MP res extended zoom = 15.3X

3, 2, 1, 2.5 MP res extended zoom = 19.1

It sounds as if all that's happening is that Panasonic is doing
in-camera cropping that could be better done with the computer. For
instance, take the 8mp image on the computer and crop to produce 4
equal sized quadrants. Each contains only 2mp, but has a field of
view equivalent to what you'd get if the lens had the ability to
zoom out to 24X. If the Panasonic did this it would capture only
the central 2mp. You could get the same thing by cropping the
central 25% of the image on the computer, but you'd still be able to
use any part of the 75% that the camera would have thrown away.

This is all before the 4X digital zoom is even started.I haven't had any
need.for the 76.5X combined zoom (at 3 mp)

All's not lost. You can still add 4X (or 8X or whaterver) digital
zoom to any of the images on the computer if you ever need it. g