Canon S3 IS, total zoom?

Old August 23rd 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank H

Default Canon S3 IS, total zoom?

Hi all,

I am sort of new to the big zoom cameras, and I wonder about the
additional zoom of the S3 and others.
With a 12X optical and an additional 4X digital, does that make it
into an (although not very prqactical) 48X Zoom?
I realize I can do the digital zoom on PC, but I am curios.

Cheers, Frank
Old August 23rd 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank H

Thanks for the info Alllen,

I don't use the digital zoom either, but I needed to know the total
zoom.
I looked at the S5, and I did not like to have the SD card in the
battery compartment. I never used an external flash other than on my
old Eos 650. Then there is the CHDK hack that will not work with the
S5, yet. Now I wish to learn about shooting manual.
Cheers, Frank

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:36:36 -0500, Allen wrote:

Frank H wrote:
Hi all,

I am sort of new to the big zoom cameras, and I wonder about the
additional zoom of the S3 and others.
With a 12X optical and an additional 4X digital, does that make it
into an (although not very prqactical) 48X Zoom?
I realize I can do the digital zoom on PC, but I am curios.

Cheers, Frank

In theory, but that 4X digital zoom is, in effect, just a crop--the same
that you would get if you removed 75% of the image in an editing
program, with the same loss of definition. I know of no one who actually
uses "digital zoom" on any camera, though there probably are some;
it's just a marketing tool. Incidentally, I have a Canon S3 and like it
very much, but the S5 has a few extra features that I would like to
have, especially the flash shoe.
Allen

Old August 23rd 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:50:46 GMT, Frank H wrote:

I don't use the digital zoom either, but I needed to know the total
zoom.
I looked at the S5, and I did not like to have the SD card in the
battery compartment. I never used an external flash other than on my
old Eos 650. Then there is the CHDK hack that will not work with the
S5, yet. Now I wish to learn about shooting manual.

You may also find the S3's intervalometer useful. That's another
feature that was removed from the S5.

Old August 23rd 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank H

Yes it is a great thing to have. I bought the same camera for the
wife, and she wants to use it to check plant growth. There are many
other uses for this I am sure.
It is a nice camera. Takes good movie clips with very good sound. The
S5 changed something in the movie clip departmen as well if I recall
correctly.

Cheesr, Frank

Old August 24th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bitwisebob

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 13:56:08 -0400, ASAAR wrote:

You may also find the S3's intervalometer useful. That's another
feature that was removed from the S5.

I like my S3. speaking of missing features, I do miss the remote
control that I had on the S1.

generally, don't use digital zoom
take your zoom pictures at top resolution, low ISO, you can crop later
on the computer and have a good looking shot
digital zoom doesn't look good
---
Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
Eugene Oregon
Old August 24th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:39:39 -0700, bitwisebob wrote:

I like my S3. speaking of missing features, I do miss the remote
control that I had on the S1.

Did you get rid of the S1? After upgrading, I generally keep, and
continue using old cameras for various reasons.

generally, don't use digital zoom
take your zoom pictures at top resolution, low ISO, you can crop later
on the computer and have a good looking shot
digital zoom doesn't look good

At least with the S3's 12x range you shouldn't need to do too much
cropping. If you have to crop beyond a moderate amount, noise can
be noticeable even when shooting at ISO 80 or ISO 100 on a bright
sunny day. Digital zoom might be useful if you put the S3 on a
tripod and use it as a telescope. But for pictures, I agree - I
keep it disabled.