D70s Memory Card

Old July 9th 05, 12:41 PM
Little Green Eyed Dragon

Default D70s Memory Card

In article ,
Alan Wonsowski wrote:

What is the MB storage capacity of the memory card that comes with the
D70s.?

If I shoot at the highest resolution and lowest compression,
approximately how many photos can I store on the card?

Does it make sense to purchase an extra card? If so, what brands
should I consider?

Thanks,
Alan

To my knowledge No memory card comes with the D70, unless its dealer
supplied. Lexar and San Disk are the two most popular makes, 512mb cards
are always ideal if you want all the card contents to fit on a single
CD.
--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
Old July 9th 05, 09:53 PM
Sheldon

"Alan Wonsowski" wrote in message
What is the MB storage capacity of the memory card that comes with the
D70s.?

If I shoot at the highest resolution and lowest compression,
approximately how many photos can I store on the card?

Does it make sense to purchase an extra card? If so, what brands
should I consider?

Thanks,
Alan

The D70 will automatically tell you how many shots you have left, based on
resolution and compression settings. Put any card in there and do a little
math to tell you how many more, or less images you can get on a different
size card. I like Sandisk cards, and have two 512MB cards. It all depends
on how much you shoot at one session as to what size you should get.

Old July 10th 05, 04:10 AM
DoN. Nichols

Alan Wonsowski wrote:
What is the MB storage capacity of the memory card that comes with the
D70s.?

If it is like my D70, the answer is zero. Nikon does not supply
a CF card with the camera, though some dealers may opt to do so.

If I shoot at the highest resolution and lowest compression,
approximately how many photos can I store on the card?

Still zero -- until you specify a size of card which you
separately purchase for the camera. :-)

Note that your "highest resolution and lowest compression" has
two possible answers, depending on whether you are willing to consider
RAW (NEF) images, or whether you intend to have the camera produce
JPEGs.

I'll pop a clear 1GB card into the camera, and read off what it
claims. Beware, though, that the camera's estimate is pessimistic for
the JPEGs at least. As an example, at the "Medium/Fine" setting (the
only one with which I have actually *filled* a CF card, the camera
predicts that it will be able to put 522 images on a 1GB CF card, and in
reality, I was able to get 705 images before I had to switch to the
spare card. This will, of course, vary somewhat with how compressible
the particular images are, but you can safely bet that you will get at
least the number that the camera predicts. (I *did* say that its
predictions were on the pessimistic side. :-)

The estimate for the RAW (NEF) images used to be more
pessimistic, until the new relase of firmware for the D70 (to match the
firmware for the D70s).

So -- all figures for a 1GB CF card:

NEF(RAW) 179
Large/Fine 293
Medium/Fine 522 (camera claimed, actual experience was 705 images)
Small/Fine 1.1K

I won't bother with listing the Norm and Basic levels of JPEG
compression.

Does it make sense to purchase an extra card? If so, what brands
should I consider?

I have two 1GB Lexar "Professional 80X" cards. I have *once*
filled one completely (a long weekend out of town, with lots of fall
foliage to shoot on the way, plus a wedding and an after-wedding
get-together, and more foliage (and rock formations) on the way back
home.

FWIW -- I also had to swap batteries at about the 620 shot
level. About half of my exposures had been with flash, so that should
be taken into account when deciding on a spare battery for the camera.
If you have two, make sure that you use one until it shows a noticeably
low charge, and then swap in the other, instead of popping each battery
in the charger, even if it is not particularly low. The batteries will
last through more charge cycles that way.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old July 10th 05, 05:03 AM
Steven M. Scharf

Alan Wonsowski wrote:

What is the MB storage capacity of the memory card that comes with the
D70s.?

Zero.

Figure around 6MB/per photo in raw mode, 3MB for JPG.

The 2GB CF cards are the sweet-spot now, I just picked up a 50x 2GB
Kingston CF card for $100 (with no damn rebates!). A 2GB card would hold
about 667 JPG images, or 333 RAW images.
Old July 10th 05, 08:29 AM
Zeke Galama

Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
in the middle.

Of course a rat eating dragon, because it is likely to be less hungry than a
dragon eating rat!

Old July 10th 05, 12:04 PM
Kitt

I shoot the big JPG's and my counter always says 291 to start on a 1
gig card, but I always get quite a few more. The closer you get to the
end, the more you'll get. I have quite a variety of cards, having used
CF cards in three other cameras before getting the D70. I don't really
notice a lot of difference in 40x, 80x or no x, except when downloading
to the computer and I just go do something else while that is going on
anyway. I have never shot so many, so fast that the D70 couldn't keep
up and that includes the grandson's soccer and baseball games. I guess
if you're into major league sports or racing and the like, the fast
cards may make a difference, but I've never run into it. Point is, I
get what's cheapest. I do the rebates, PITA that it is. If you dot
all the I's and cross all the T's, it's worthwhile. I just got two
checks from Kingston which put the net cost of the two 1 gig cards I
bought at about $47. YMMV. One school of thought is to use 512 cards
because they fit on a CD, but I use a second HDD for backups and put
only the best on CD, so that doesn't matter to me. As I said, I have
scads of cards of all different brands and have never had on lick of
trouble with any of them.

Kitt