Li-Ion batt for D70: vast variation in price

Old November 17th 04, 06:51 PM
MB

Default Li-Ion batt for D70: vast variation in price

I want to get a spare li-ion battery for my D70, and I've looked in Ebay
just to see what's available. Can someone explain how the En-El 3 battery
can be offered for 6 Euros when the Nikon original costs over 60? What's
behind such a cheap offer?

Old November 17th 04, 07:00 PM
Rita Ä Berkowitz

"MB" wrote in message

I want to get a spare li-ion battery for my D70, and I've looked in Ebay
just to see what's available. Can someone explain how the En-El 3 battery
can be offered for 6 Euros when the Nikon original costs over 60? What's
behind such a cheap offer?

You get what you pay for, sometimes not. You might get lucky using a cheap
third party battery, but if you are using your camera for your income than I
would ask, do you trust that battery? I did the eBay route with a few cell
phone batteries and tossed them in the trash the next day. I'll only use
original equipment or buy reputable aftermarket. As for eBay, I wouldn't
waste a cent on them batteries.

Rita

Old November 17th 04, 07:02 PM
BG250

I bought one for my Fujifilm about $13 ($7 plus shipping). It worked fine,
but the life was not up to the Fuji OEM. It still beats paying $60 for the
OEM battery. I sold the camera a few months latter so my experience is
limited with the life of the battery. My new camera takes AAs which I find
more desirable.

Old November 17th 04, 08:49 PM
Ron G

I've been using eBay batteries for my Oly 5060 and the ones that cost
about $7.00 each seem to work as well as the OEM one. Ditto for a $19
one I purchased from Tiger Direct. Just can't tell the difference
between any of them, and I have given them plenty of cycles.

Old November 18th 04, 02:50 AM
George E. Cawthon

MB wrote:
I want to get a spare li-ion battery for my D70, and I've looked in Ebay
just to see what's available. Can someone explain how the En-El 3 battery
can be offered for 6 Euros when the Nikon original costs over 60? What's
behind such a cheap offer?

That does seem rather preposterous and I would also wonder how they
could sell an equivalent battery for 1/10 of the costs. However,
Nikon is trying to get back some of its development costs (all OEMs do
that), so an equivalent battery can easily cost 1/2 to 1/4 of the OEM
price. In this range (1/2 to 1/4 of OEM price) you should be able to
get an equivalent battery. And don't believe the old BS about getting
what you pay for because you may or may not whether you buy OEM
equipment or not.
Old November 18th 04, 01:47 PM
Eager

In article , MB
wrote:

I want to get a spare li-ion battery for my D70, and I've looked in Ebay
just to see what's available. Can someone explain how the En-El 3 battery
can be offered for 6 Euros when the Nikon original costs over 60? What's
behind such a cheap offer?

I go the middle ground. Rather than $10 knock-offs, I've found real
Nikon EN-EL3s for US$20 (plus $5 shipping) he

http://store.yahoo.com/tang-shop/nikon-en-el3-battery.html

I've been very happy with the battery I bought, and I just ordered
another.

-=-Joe