Question and comments please re. macro lenses

Old November 3rd 04, 02:19 PM
John Bean

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:20:38 +0000, Graham Holden wrote:
First: Any comments, good or bad about either of these lenses? From my
intense net-scouring over the past few days, I've got the impression that
some Sigma lenses should be avoided like the plague, and others are not at
all bad... is the 50mm macro a "goody" or a "baddy"?

The Sigma 50mm macro is a very good lens indeed, by any standards.

1. Am I right in thinking these lenses can also be used not in macro mode,
i.e. as a fixed-length normal or slightly telephoto lens (although both
would be telephoto because of the 1.5 factor).

The Sigma, yes. I have no experience of th Nikkor.

2. Does the "1:1" focusing (at 22cm or 19cm for the two) mean that you can
take a full-frame photo of a 16mm x 24mm rectangle (the D70s sensor size)?
Would the fact that the Nikkor was designed for 35mm film affect anything
(i.e. does the 1.5 sensor-size difference factor come into effect?).

Yes, 1:1 means just that. The size in the image plane is the same size as
the subject. Format of the imaging device is not relevant.

--
John Bean

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them (Isaac Asimov)

Old November 3rd 04, 02:20 PM
Graham Holden

Default Question and comments please re. macro lenses

I'm new to both the digital and SLR worlds, having just bought a D70 with
the kit lens (I was initially drawn towards the 8700, but saw enough
opinions along the lines of "if you're going to spend that amount of money,
you may as well go the dSLR route for longer-term flexibility).

It's probably a bit too soon to be looking at additional lenses, since I've
not had a chance to do much more than take a few test shots so far, BUT...
one of the features that initially drew me towards the 8700 was its macro
ability (IIRC, it could focus down to just over an inch).

At some point, I will be wanting to photograph coins, so I'll need to be
looking at a macro lens. I've seen several references to the Nikkor 60mm
f2.8 AF Micro D being suitable for coins/stamps; and a similar-looking, but
a cheaper alternative would seem to be the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro.

First: Any comments, good or bad about either of these lenses? From my
intense net-scouring over the past few days, I've got the impression that
some Sigma lenses should be avoided like the plague, and others are not at
all bad... is the 50mm macro a "goody" or a "baddy"?

Also, I'd like to ask a couple of technical questions (I think I "know" a
lot of the basics, but don't yet have much practical experience, and I'm
picking up more and more as I scour the net).

1. Am I right in thinking these lenses can also be used not in macro mode,
i.e. as a fixed-length normal or slightly telephoto lens (although both
would be telephoto because of the 1.5 factor).

2. Does the "1:1" focusing (at 22cm or 19cm for the two) mean that you can
take a full-frame photo of a 16mm x 24mm rectangle (the D70s sensor size)?
Would the fact that the Nikkor was designed for 35mm film affect anything
(i.e. does the 1.5 sensor-size difference factor come into effect?).

Finally, any tips on photographing coins? From brief experiments in the
past with a (now) cheap-and-nasty digital, the main problem was light: the
flash produced too much glare and reflection. Would this be helped by the
variable power of the D70's flash, or should I be looking for external
lighting?

Thanks in advance for any input people can give.

Old November 3rd 04, 02:31 PM
GT40

wrote:

Finally, any tips on photographing coins? From brief experiments in the
past with a (now) cheap-and-nasty digital, the main problem was light: the
flash produced too much glare and reflection. Would this be helped by the
variable power of the D70's flash, or should I be looking for external
lighting?

Light coins from the side, and use a tripod. You may have to move
your lighting around not to get glare. Better to use natural light
than a flash if you only have on camera flash
Old November 3rd 04, 02:41 PM
David J Taylor

wrote:

Finally, any tips on photographing coins? From brief experiments in
the past with a (now) cheap-and-nasty digital, the main problem was
light: the flash produced too much glare and reflection. Would this
be helped by the variable power of the D70's flash, or should I be
looking for external lighting?

I haven't tried it, but how well to coins respond to be "photographed"
with a scanner?

Cheers,
David

Old November 3rd 04, 04:33 PM
Graham Holden

wrote:

Finally, any tips on photographing coins? From brief experiments in
the past with a (now) cheap-and-nasty digital, the main problem was
light: the flash produced too much glare and reflection. Would this
be helped by the variable power of the D70's flash, or should I be
looking for external lighting?

I haven't tried it, but how well to coins respond to be "photographed"
with a scanner?

Cheers,
David

I believe quite well... I'd forgotten that approach. The only minor
drawbacks are (a) it may not be as convenient (for me) for various, weird,
and probably avoidable logistic reasons, and (b) it would remove an excuse
to get a new toy to play with... :-)

Thanks to all who have replied.

Old November 3rd 04, 06:00 PM
Big Bill

wrote:

Finally, any tips on photographing coins? From brief experiments in
the past with a (now) cheap-and-nasty digital, the main problem was
light: the flash produced too much glare and reflection. Would this
be helped by the variable power of the D70's flash, or should I be
looking for external lighting?

I haven't tried it, but how well to coins respond to be "photographed"
with a scanner?

Cheers,
David

From an Epson Perfection 1650 @ 600dpi:
www.pippina.us/misc/coin1.png

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Old November 3rd 04, 07:59 PM
Aerticus

perhaps it would be easier settling for an FZ20?

No more headaches about options, options, options ...

Aerticus