sigma 18-35 lens problem?

Old September 26th 04, 12:06 PM
tbm

Default sigma 18-35 lens problem?

hi group,
i recently acquired a sigma 18-35 lens for my nikon d70.whilst auto focusing on infinity with the lens set on the 35mm portion i
cannot achieve focus lock inside the viewfinder,ie the green focus confirm light lower lhs inside viewfinder.is this a fault with
the lens?or am i missing something here?many thanks for any reply.rgds to all from TBM...

---

Old September 26th 04, 10:15 PM
Clyde Torres

"tbm" wrote in message
hi group,
i recently acquired a sigma 18-35 lens for my nikon d70.whilst auto

focusing on infinity with the lens set on the 35mm portion i
cannot achieve focus lock inside the viewfinder,ie the green focus confirm

light lower lhs inside viewfinder.is this a fault with
the lens?or am i missing something here?many thanks for any reply.rgds to

all from TBM...

---

What you are missing is a search of the many posts in this newsgroup warning
you not to use Sigma or other aftermarket lenses with Nikons and Canons. In
a nutshell, they say that you are not saving money by buying and using
aftermarket lenses; you will spend more money (and time) because in the end
you are going to throw away that Sigma lens and replace it with a Nikkor
lens. The D70 is too good of a camera to denigrate it with an aftermarket
lens.

My opinion: if you want to use Sigma lenses, get a Sigma camera. You will
then have a Sigma system, which will now function the way the manufacturer
intended it to function.

Just my opinion. My time and money is more valuable than someone else's
time and money who doesn't listen to advice from people who have "been
there, done that."

Clyde Torres

Old September 27th 04, 02:00 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Clyde Torres" writes:

What you are missing is a search of the many posts in this newsgroup warning
you not to use Sigma or other aftermarket lenses with Nikons and Canons. In
a nutshell, they say that you are not saving money by buying and using
aftermarket lenses; you will spend more money (and time) because in the end
you are going to throw away that Sigma lens and replace it with a Nikkor
lens. The D70 is too good of a camera to denigrate it with an aftermarket
lens.

There are some people that say that, but I've never owned a zoom lens
made by my camera manufacturer, across 30+ years and 6 manufacturers,
personally.

These days the camera manufacturers make some first-rate zooms, and I
do consider them, but the price/performance ratio hasn't lead me to
buy one yet. When I started with zooms, the manufacturers didn't make
zooms with decent specs -- they were all too slow for serious use.

Also, the camera manufacturers have started making amateur-quality
lenses. A top-line lens from Tokina is very likely to be better than
an amateur-line lens from Nikon or Canon.

Old September 27th 04, 07:48 AM
gsum

And a mid range lens from Nikon or Canon will blow away anything
by Tokina, Sigma etc. Nikon's most poular lenses, e.g. the 24-85 f3.5, 4.5
and the 50mm f1.8 are produced in vast numbers and this provides a good
price to quality ratio.

Graham

Pics: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/

http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/

Old September 27th 04, 02:13 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , David Dyer-Bennet
wrote:

There are some people that say that, but I've never owned a zoom lens
made by my camera manufacturer, across 30+ years and 6 manufacturers,
personally.

These days the camera manufacturers make some first-rate zooms, and I
do consider them, but the price/performance ratio hasn't lead me to
buy one yet. When I started with zooms, the manufacturers didn't make
zooms with decent specs -- they were all too slow for serious use.

Also, the camera manufacturers have started making amateur-quality
lenses. A top-line lens from Tokina is very likely to be better than
an amateur-line lens from Nikon or Canon.

The sting of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price
is forgotten.