Sensors

Old September 26th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Default Sensors

Philippe wrote:

Which ones? I just picked up a S3IS and it's got a CCD, according to the
online specs..

Well, after my last response to this post, I tried to find information about
this camera. For one, this is an older camera, hence the use of CCD. It is
relatively recently that Canon perfected technology enough to make CMOS a
working sensor for a DSLR.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/

The above site does indeed list it as CCD, but I think that at the time the
S3IS was released, there were no decent cameras with CMOS sensors.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old September 26th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Johnson, PE

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
Paul Rubin wrote:
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" writes:
Tell Canon that ... they use CMOS in their point and shoot cameras.

Which models?

Go to there web site, ALL the current models use CMOS Digic II or Digic III
sensors. All the PowerShot A and SD series use CMOS.

You're confusing the integrated circuit used for image processing with
the image sensor. Go here (
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/ ) and look at the type of
image sensor used in Canon's P&S cameras and you'll find they are CCDs.
Old September 26th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Philippe wrote:

Go to there web site, ALL the current models use CMOS Digic II or Digic III
sensors. All the PowerShot A and SD series use CMOS.

DIGIC2.. ccd

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co... odelid=13077

Your URL wrapped 80 characters, which is a real USENET pain. Here is a
friendlier link. http://tinyurl.com/gc9wa

Hmm ... upon looking at some of the other point and shoot cameras, they seem
to notoriously leave the sensor technology absent and only mention the
processing technology (Digic *). I now have doubts about my claim that point
and shoot Canon's use CMOS sensors. I assumed Digic processing meant CMOS as
it is on chip (in the package) on their CMOS offerings.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old September 26th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" writes:
You never posted the link. However, the Digic II sensor is a CMOS,
not a CCD sensor.

Digic II is a signal processing chip, not a sensor.
Old September 26th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" writes:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/

The above site does indeed list it as CCD, but I think that at the time the
S3IS was released, there were no decent cameras with CMOS sensors.

The S3IS is a very recent camera.
Old September 26th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Paul Rubin wrote:
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" writes:
You never posted the link. However, the Digic II sensor is a CMOS,
not a CCD sensor.

Digic II is a signal processing chip, not a sensor.

Digic II is the processing circuit yes. I guess in CMOS sensors it is on chip
(in package) and with the CCD sensors it is not. See my other post, but I
believe you are correct and that CMOS is not being used for their point and
shoots. Funny, they are notoriously leaving it out of all their online
documentation.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old September 26th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Paul Rubin wrote:
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" writes:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/

The above site does indeed list it as CCD, but I think that at the time the
S3IS was released, there were no decent cameras with CMOS sensors.

The S3IS is a very recent camera.

You are correct and I am wrong. I mistakenly believed that Digit II
processing was only distributed as part of the CMOS sensor package and I did
not realize that they distribute it independently as well.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old September 26th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Philippe

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
Philippe wrote:

I answered upthread with a link for the S3IS.. It uses DIGIC II but
lists the sensor as CCD (1/2.5)

Maybe I'm not reading it right? (which could *easily* be possible, btw..
P.

You never posted the link. However, the Digic II sensor is a CMOS, not a CCD
sensor.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co... odelid=13077

--
I do *NOT* have a short attention sp...(Oooh!! shiny!!)
Old September 26th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" writes:
You are correct and I am wrong. I mistakenly believed that Digit II
processing was only distributed as part of the CMOS sensor package and I did
not realize that they distribute it independently as well.

As far as I can tell, the only small-sensor cmos cameras are really
crappy low-quality ones like the ones in cell phones or web cams.
I guess cmos sensors need large pixels to deliver good results.
Old September 26th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Paul Rubin wrote:
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" writes:
You are correct and I am wrong. I mistakenly believed that Digit II
processing was only distributed as part of the CMOS sensor package and I did
not realize that they distribute it independently as well.

As far as I can tell, the only small-sensor cmos cameras are really
crappy low-quality ones like the ones in cell phones or web cams.
I guess cmos sensors need large pixels to deliver good results.

Which makes one wonder ...

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse