Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer

Old April 17th 06, 04:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

Default Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer

X-No-Archive

My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
"repair shop" problem.)

Before I bring this to a shop and spend probably the amount I paid for
it brand-new, is there a way of fixing this oneself?

Shnaggletooth

Old April 17th 06, 05:09 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
"repair shop" problem.)

Firstly how many times does it blink. If it's something like 7 times
than it's a waste tank full error.

Old April 17th 06, 11:20 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

zakezuke wrote:
My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
"repair shop" problem.)

Firstly how many times does it blink. If it's something like 7 times
than it's a waste tank full error.

It blinks orange-green-orange-green, etc.

Shnaggletooth

Old April 17th 06, 11:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

Firstly how many times does it blink. If it's something like 7 times
than it's a waste tank full error.

It blinks orange-green-orange-green, etc.

http://knightcrawler.filefront.com/

Burried in there is the service manual, which does contain the blink
codes. But if it never stops, that's a "rom error". I've not even
met the rom or the system board personaly, but even if I have and I
could say it was socketed, I wouldn't know where to get the rom in file
form nor does the average person have a ROM burner.. with the exception
of their motherboard.

The blink codes are also listed on this site
http://www.dvdadvdr.com/forums/archi...c/48370-1.html

To double check you "could" try going into service mode via the
following procedure, with the USB cord disconnected in the unlikely
event there is an issue with the PC's usb.

------------------
I. Make sure the printer is off but is plugged in

II. Hold down [RESUME] (Triangle pointed down) and hold down [POWER]
and wait 5 seconds or so.

Release [RESUME] but Continue to hold [POWER]. Double click [RESUME].
then Release [POWER].

Press [RESUME], than [POWER]. This should cause the printer to print a
simple diagnostic that'll list it's ROM number and list CDR SENSOR=OK
in red for the last line.
Press [RESUME] twice then [POWER]] to print off the second diagnostic.
Press [POWER] by it self to exit service mode and return to being a
printer.

This should isolate whether the printer is not printing because it
doesn't want to, or isn't printing because something is wrong. Odds
are it's the logic board, or a connection to the logic board if you
can't get the sucker into service mode at all, or can get into service
mode and it won't print the diagnostics. If you can, odds are you have
a diaper full condition.

If you are curious about worst case scenero, you can ask about
"QM2-1548" the main logic board. How much it costs to replace, or how
much it costs to get. But odds are if you do have a failed logic board
that looking for a used ip4000 with a bum head, and using your head is
a viable solution. Or, buying another printer, cleaning up your print
head, and selling it on e-bay. I don't know if this is your problem,
but given the ip4000 sells for $100 to $150 on closeout sites, and a
new ip4200 runs about $80... if your printer is toast parting out and
buying a new is often most cost effective, and does someone a favor.

Old April 18th 06, 12:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

I wasn't able to get it into Service mode. Thanks for the advice,
though. Looks like a brand-new printer -- but I think I'm going to
avoid Canon.

Shnaggletooth

Old April 18th 06, 01:01 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

measekite wrote:

BEWARE OF THE ADVICE YOU GET ON THIS NG/. THERE ARE MANY HACKERS HERE
THAT THINK THEY KNOW. IF YOU CALL CANON TECH SUPPT THEY WILL AT LEAST
TELL YOU WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND MAY GIVE YOU A CLUE ON HOW TO FIX IT.
IF IT IS JUST OUT OF WARRANTY SOMETIMES THEY WILL SEND YOU A REFURB
IFYOU USE CANON OEM INK.

Ignore this tosser
--
Paul (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
Old April 18th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

800 828 4040, www.canontechsupport.com
free acurate advise from Canon

Old April 18th 06, 01:30 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

Paul Heslop wrote:
measekite wrote:

if you call canon tech suppt they will at least tell you what the problem is and may give you a clue on how to fix it

Ignore this tosser

This is one of the rare cases where Measekite has valuable input.
Being the K-rad elite hacker d00d as he describes I often forget about
the fact that sometimes... sometimes... there are issues that are
covered well beyond the warranty. Who knows.

As far as telling what's wrong... I linked to the blink codes, support
wouldn't know anything more on that subject. Assuming endless
blinking, that's a ROM problem. Not that you should always assume the
blink codes are accurate, but that sugests the rom is fried, not
connected. Bad solder connection or a power surge, probally a power
surge. Loose wire is always possible.

But he's right, those filthy k-rad hacker d00ds like my self are the
least likely to consider calling technical support. It's worth a shot,
the worst they will do is tell you it's not covered.