Paper: How old is too old?

Old April 25th 05, 06:05 AM
tbrown

Default Paper: How old is too old?

Hi all,
I have 2 classes of older paper, some whose expiration date is less
than a year old, and some that is old enough to vote. I recently tried
the latter, some Ilford MG3X (deluxe) and some MG3R (rapid). The
borders under the easel, and hence the highlights, look like an 18%
grey card. OK for proofs, but if I'm going to go through the bother, I
may as well try for proofs I want to look at. Helix sells something for
older paper - is this worth trying?

The other paper is Kodak PolyMax Fine Art, which I've not yet tried.
What might I expect from this?

Also, does anyone sell contrast filters that go before instead of after
the lens? It seems to make sense to color the light only and spare the
image from another pair of semi-reflective surfaces.

Thanks,

Old April 25th 05, 07:12 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 4/24/2005 10:05 PM tbrown spake thus:

Also, does anyone sell contrast filters that go before instead of after
the lens? It seems to make sense to color the light only and spare the
image from another pair of semi-reflective surfaces.

Yes, su don't you know about the standard Ilford multigrade filters? They
come in 6x6" sheets; pretty sure Kodak makes them as well. (I got mine from B&H.)

--
It's a good guess that one of two things is going to happen in the
coming days and weeks: Either Bolton goes down—-or we start learning

- _Slate_, 4/19/05 (http://slate.msn.com/id/2117028/)

Old April 25th 05, 08:16 AM
Richard Knoppow

Some papers age better than others but storage conditions are also
important. Heat is the enemy and tends to accelerate fogging.
One way to use fogged paper is to add Benzotriazole to the
developer. Benzotriazole is available from suppliers of photographic
chemicals and is widely ued in Phenidone developers where bromide is
not very effective. Bromide will also suppress fog but Benzotriazole is
more effective. I don't have my reference available at the moment (I am
away from home) but Grant Haist has a chart of amounts of Benzotriazole
to use for both paper and film. I will try to find it later.
I have recently used some Ilford Multigrade IV Deluxe which is
about ten years old. It shows no fog or reduction in contrast. I've
found that old Agfa paper generally holds up well. Kodak paper does not
seem to do so well.
One reason paper ages faster now is that Cadmium compounds can no
longer be added due to environmental concerns. Cadmium serves several
purposes in emulsions but preserving the emulsion is one of them.
Fog in old emulsions is most often due to the continuation of a
process known as ripening. Ripening is a normal part of the emulsion
making process during which the silver halide grains gain in
sensitivity. However, it is supposed to stop once the emulsion is
finished. Various substances are added to the emulsion during the
finishing step to prevent ripening from continuing after the emulsion
is coated. Sometimes it doesn't work. One reason cold storage preserves
film and paper is that it very substantially slows down after coating
ripening.
All variable contrast filters are available in sets of 6x6 inch
gelatin or plastic sheets. These are used above the negative. They can
be cut down for smaller enlargers. Kodak, Ilford, and Agfa all make
filter sets. Each is tailored for the particular paper although any set
can be used with any paper with some adjustment in exposure and
variation in contrast.

--
Richard Knoppow

Old April 25th 05, 04:51 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Richard Knoppow" wrote

One way to use fogged paper is to add Benzotriazole

I have found the best/cheapest way to handle BT is to
buy 100g from B&H or Photographers' Formulary and dump
it into 1 pint (~500ml) of 91% [or thereabouts] drugstore
isopropyl alcohol. Total cost is $18, including the
nifty storage bottle.

This makes a 2% solution. I start at ~1.5ml/liter, but
use Richard's numbers or experiment to find what works
best for your paper and developer.

Edwal's "Liquid Orthazite" costs about 30 times more than
the do-it-yourself solution ($12.95/4oz of 0.2%).

I've found that old Agfa paper generally holds up well.

I will second this. But new Agfa paper doesn't, it is one
of the worst, IMNSHO.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
Old April 25th 05, 06:01 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

-- Correction --

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote
I have found the best/cheapest way to handle BT is to
buy 100g

That should be 10g.

from B&H or Photographers' Formulary and dump
it into 1 pint (~500ml) of 91% [or thereabouts] drugstore
isopropyl alcohol. Total cost is $18

Should read $6

Edwal's "Liquid Orthazite" costs about 30 times

Should read "Orthazite is about 100 times more expensive..."