My first digital SLR REBEL xti, lens questions

Old September 28th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
fivefourteen

Default My first digital SLR REBEL xti, lens questions

Hi All,

I finally caved in and bought my first digital slr. I decided to get
the canon rebel xti
in fabulous silver. I opted not to get the kit lens and went with the
canon ef 50 1.8 II, which
i figure is a sharp lens.

I bought this lens mainly for portraiture and studio work. I wanted a
sharp lens (for texture not pimples). Now my next lens. Its quite
confusing, the kit lens is rather poor (so I heard) and its an EFS
which means that it might not cover full frame. I figure buy the lens
and upgrade the body.

Kit lens is out. I am thinking about the tamron 28-75MM f/2.8. Couple
of questions, is it a good lens and will it focus fast/accurately with
the canon mount? Its not wide but I figure I will go for a fixed lens
on wide shots later. Should i get the 17-85 EFS canon IS lens. I don't
like the small maximum aperature, but it should be wide enough, don't
like the EFS...i figure the migration will be fullframe.

Did i get a good camera? Lenses? Its so strange to see medium format
systems so cheap and my 8x10 lenses cheaper than the tamron. Times are
changin .

Ann

Old September 29th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marten

The Rebel XTi is a good choise. Like all electronics, the longer you wait to
jump in the more bang for the buck you get.

The kit lens sucks once you have used a better lens so there is no point in
even buying it. The Canon 17-85 IS has had lots of poor reviews. The 50mm
1.8 is a no brainer. Most Canon DSLR owners should get one. I use a Tamron
28-75 2.8 as my carry around lens. It is as good as the reviewers say it is.
The sharpness and brightness of colors is great. I just bought a Sigma
10-20 EFS for wider angles and have just begun to play with it. For longer
zooming I have a Sigma 70-200 f2.8. It is also highly regarded by most
reviewers. With a Canon 430EX flash, that makes a pretty good all purpose
reasonably priced camera bag.

Marten

ups.com...

Old September 30th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

fivefourteen wrote:
on wide shots later. Should i get the 17-85 EFS canon IS lens. I don't
like the small maximum aperature, but it should be wide enough, don't
like the EFS...i figure the migration will be fullframe.

Have you thought about buying a set of primes instead of zooms?

The 20mm f2.8 and the 85mm f1.8 would combine to cost under $750.
Fast, compact, and sharp. Alongside your 50mm, a set of primes like
that would be better and more versatile than any one zoom lens in the
same price range.