EOS 1n RS / RT problem - plz help!!

Old September 11th 04, 11:07 PM
Ed

Default EOS 1n RS / RT problem - plz help!!

Just purchased a used 1n RS - cosmetically perfect.
Looking through the viewfinder with lens attached all seems clear.

However examing the pellicle mirror under a bright light shows what
seems like a multitude (hundred?) of little marks... maybe dust
specks? Under normal light these seem almost invisible.

My question is should the pellicle look CRYSTAL clear? Or is this
normal?

Perhaps somebody could look at their 1n RS (or perhaps RT) for me to
put my mind at rest! Thanks.

Also....

Placing the camera in RS mode so I can view the shutter without
obstruction through the pellicle mirror I notice the second blade from
the bottom has a "quarter circle" marking on it (in need of a better
word)... like it has been "worn in" that way during the shutter
activations. This definitely stands out - at first I thought perhaps
oil until I saw the uniformity of the marking.
Indicates impending shutter problems.

Really appreciate advice - just hope I haven't purchased a dud camera!

Old September 12th 04, 01:32 PM
David Littlewood

In article , Ed
writes
Just purchased a used 1n RS - cosmetically perfect.
Looking through the viewfinder with lens attached all seems clear.

However examing the pellicle mirror under a bright light shows what
seems like a multitude (hundred?) of little marks... maybe dust
specks? Under normal light these seem almost invisible.

My question is should the pellicle look CRYSTAL clear? Or is this
normal?

Perhaps somebody could look at their 1n RS (or perhaps RT) for me to
put my mind at rest! Thanks.

My EOS 1nRS is fairly new (about two years) and very lightly used. It
has a few tiny speck of dust on the pellicle mirror, which is pretty
inevitable.

Your sounds to be a little dustier - which is to be expected from a
second hand example which may have been used quite a bit. However:

(1) Dust always shows up very strongly under bright oblique
illumination, and often looks far worse than it is. Most optical glass
surfaces look quite scary when subjected to microscopic examination, but
still work well.

(2) The mirror is mostly not close to the focal plane (the film) - apart
from the bit at the top. This means that any dust specks will be way out
of focus and would not show up on the film. Even the bit at the top
would be way out of focus. The only effect, from heavy contamination,
would be a loss of contrast.

(3) If it were mine, I would try to compare the images from this camera
and a conventional body, using the same subjects, film type (use slide
film) and lens, and having the films processed at the same time. If you
see no difference in the pictures (especially the contrast) then leave
well alone. If you can see a difference, then a clean may be called for.

(4) I would not recommend that you try to clean the mirror yourself by
any contact method; try a gentle squirt from an air duster; if this does
not work, I suggest professional attention - if the air blast does not
move it, t he specks may be stuck on and require wet cleaning, which is
definitely not something you should do yourself.

Also....

Placing the camera in RS mode so I can view the shutter without
obstruction through the pellicle mirror I notice the second blade from
the bottom has a "quarter circle" marking on it (in need of a better
word)... like it has been "worn in" that way during the shutter
activations. This definitely stands out - at first I thought perhaps
oil until I saw the uniformity of the marking.
Indicates impending shutter problems.

Really appreciate advice - just hope I haven't purchased a dud camera!

Sorry - mine has a film in it with 28 frames left and I'm not about to
take it out to look. Do the markings look like friction wear?
--
David Littlewood
Old September 12th 04, 04:37 PM
Ed

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:32:23 +0100, David Littlewood
wrote:

In article , Ed
writes
[...]

yes, on closer examination, friction wear possibly. Normal?

Just got back some Velvia 50 I ran through it, slides look OK, and the
scans don't indicate any problems - exposures were generally spot on.

Still curious about this though.

Really appreciate your feedback David - cheers - seems not many of us
have this model!

Old September 12th 04, 04:37 PM
Ed

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:32:23 +0100, David Littlewood
wrote:

In article , Ed
writes

Old September 12th 04, 05:43 PM
Ed

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:32:23 +0100, David Littlewood
wrote:

In article , Ed
writes
[...]

forgot to mention - you don't need to remove the film to view this as
you just take the lens off, switch to RS mode and depress the shutter
halfway, this allows a clear view of the CLOSED shutter. It is here on
the second blade from the bottom I notice this apparent "friction
wear?" in a quarter circle radius. Cheers.
Old September 12th 04, 06:31 PM
David Littlewood

In article , Ed
writes
wrote:

Also....

Placing the camera in RS mode so I can view the shutter without
obstruction through the pellicle mirror I notice the second blade from
the bottom has a "quarter circle" marking on it (in need of a better
word)... like it has been "worn in" that way during the shutter
activations. This definitely stands out - at first I thought perhaps
oil until I saw the uniformity of the marking.
Indicates impending shutter problems.

Really appreciate advice - just hope I haven't purchased a dud camera!

Sorry - mine has a film in it with 28 frames left and I'm not about to
take it out to look. Do the markings look like friction wear?

yes, on closer examination, friction wear possibly. Normal?

See other post.

Just got back some Velvia 50 I ran through it, slides look OK, and the
scans don't indicate any problems - exposures were generally spot on.

If it ain't broke...

Still curious about this though.

Really appreciate your feedback David - cheers - seems not many of us
have this model!

Yes, it is a bit of a special interest. When the EOS 1v came out - with
the same frame rate as the 1nRS (when it has the booster fitted) most
people lost interest.

I got mine - just after it was discontinued, while there were still a
few in the shops, because I wanted to use the 6 ms shutter lag (in RS
mode only, of course) to do some technical pictures. As it happens, I
have not yet got round to doing this... such is life.

David
--
David Littlewood

Old September 12th 04, 06:32 PM
David Littlewood

In article , Ed
writes
wrote:

[...]

Ah, OK, thought you meant from the back! No, mine is completely
unmarked. However, as I say, it was brand new a couple of years ago and
has only had 8-10 films through it - I use a 1n for most purposes, much
lighter!

David
--
David Littlewood