Rec.photo** hijack

Old September 9th 04, 09:54 PM
Peter Chant

Bill Tuthill writes:

Talk about overkill! In RFD #4 the four new groups would be
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Why the 'systems' bit?

rec.photo.digital.zlr

What is a zlr?

rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Quite a few.

rec.photo.digital.rangefinder

That Epson thing and none else?

--

http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Old September 9th 04, 11:04 PM
Skip M

"Peter Chant" wrote in message
Bill Tuthill writes:

Talk about overkill! In RFD #4 the four new groups would be
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Why the 'systems' bit?

rec.photo.digital.zlr

What is a zlr?

rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Quite a few.

rec.photo.digital.rangefinder

That Epson thing and none else?

--

http://www.petezilla.co.uk

ZLR=Zoom Lens Reflex, like the Olympus E-10/20.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old September 9th 04, 11:14 PM
Gordon Moat

Bill Tuthill wrote:

Gordon Moat wrote:
Some paranoia coming from Google? The only news group creation I have
seen is for digital imaging. Those of us who still use 35 mm gear will
continue to post here. Perhaps it might become as sparse as the medium
format or large format groups, but I see nothing wrong with that. You
will not be seeing my posts on any digital equipment groups.

I post because I welcome the chance to help others, when possible. I
also read many posts, because none of us can know too much.

You are one of the good posters still left here, Gordon. Seems like
there are far fewer than there once were. Are you sick of DSLR stuff
posted here?

I use these sometimes for work (and sometimes digital backs on medium
format). I also spend hours in PhotoShop, or on a computer. Most of my work
is still film, and I hit the burnout level trying to discuss much of
anything digital outside of work. I complained about all the DSLR posts
over a year ago, though it seemed many did not care. The argument then was
that too many P&S people were on rec.photo.digital, and that was why so
many DSLR posts were placed here instead.

Anyway, the short answer is yes . . . by the way, thanks for the
compliment.

Personally I'm not, but I can understand how others
would be sick of the Shoot-In and/or DSLRs.

I don't mind the Shoot-In, though it too seems to have been of more benefit
to direct digital users, especially when the time frame was shorter between
assignments. I was glad to see film shots, and there have been some really
nice images. Perhaps if this were a camera collector news group, rather
than just using the word "equipment", then it might be more of an issue.
However, if it was, or became, a camera collector group, then I doubt I
would be here.

Talk about overkill! In RFD #4 the four new groups would be
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
rec.photo.digital.zlr
rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
rec.photo.digital.rangefinder

I think some will not get much attention due to few postings. I also think
there are too many newbies using direct digital to understand the
difference between ZLR and P&S, or even SLR. I would expect either lots of
cross postings, or one group getting the bulk of posts.

Interesting, but since I won't be posting on any of those, I don't care
what they do with those groups. I also don't mind the DSLR users leaving
here for what they might see as a better place.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com/gallery.html Updated!

Old September 9th 04, 11:25 PM
Gordon Moat

John McWilliams wrote:

Bill Tuthill wrote:

Gordon Moat wrote:

Some paranoia coming from Google? The only news group creation I have
seen is for digital imaging. Those of us who still use 35 mm gear will
continue to post here. Perhaps it might become as sparse as the medium
format or large format groups, but I see nothing wrong with that. You
will not be seeing my posts on any digital equipment groups.

I post because I welcome the chance to help others, when possible. I
also read many posts, because none of us can know too much.

You are one of the good posters still left here, Gordon. Seems like
there are far fewer than there once were. Are you sick of DSLR stuff
posted here? Personally I'm not, but I can understand how others
would be sick of the Shoot-In and/or DSLRs.

Talk about overkill! In RFD #4 the four new groups would be
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
rec.photo.digital.zlr
rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
rec.photo.digital.rangefinder

The original post is a forgery of a regular in news.groups, which
manages the *creation* of new charters for big 8 NGs. Written probably
by someone who wants to keep putting flies in the ointment and, among
many agendas, change the charters of this group and rec.photo.digital.

Okay, that makes more sense.

There's a very long history- all within the last few weeks!- of why the
names, why the multiple groups, etc. are being proposed in the FRD's
being posted in news.groups and in r.p.d.

There is a large group of Usenet individuals whose primary enjoyment is
disrupting as many groups as possible. Almost all use anonymous remailers,
and some are into very questionable, or even illegal, internet practices.
Many of them like to go after the more popular news groups. There are a few
individuals like these who use real e-mail addresses, like Steve Young,
though none of these individuals has any interest in photography, and I
doubt any of them even own a camera.

This is the nature of Usenet, so I would expect nothing less. People will
not get along with each other, nor respect others, when they feel there is
little chance of repercussions.

It now is clearer than ever, that changes to an existing charter cannot
be done, so perhaps over time those who keep trying to force that will
find other opportunites to promote change.

--

John McWilliams

I don't mind at all if a rec.photo.digital.slr group is created. I think it
would be a great place for many of those interested individuals to go, and
to leave r.p.e.35mm largely absent of direct digital SLR discussions. I
have no interest in participating in any digital news groups.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com Updated!

Old September 10th 04, 08:30 AM
Chris Brown

Peter Chant wrote:
In article ,
Bill Tuthill writes:

Talk about overkill! In RFD #4 the four new groups would be
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Why the 'systems' bit?

rec.photo.digital.zlr

What is a zlr?

It's what some people call the non-detachable lens SLRs made by Olympus.
It's also what some people call the "prosumer" digicams that use electronic
viewfinders and therefore aren't reflex cameras at all.

rec.photo.digital.rangefinder

That Epson thing and none else?

I don't think there are any more. I can see Voigtlander/Cosina coming out
with their own version of the Epson RD1 (it is based on their 35mm
rangefinders after all), and Leica are supposedly working on their own
digital RF body, but ISTM that these would be just as productively discussed
in the SLR group, even though they're not reflex cameras.
Old September 10th 04, 03:34 PM
Dallas

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 17:13:40 +0000, Bill Tuthill wrote:

Gordon Moat wrote:
Some paranoia coming from Google? The only news group creation I have
seen is for digital imaging. Those of us who still use 35 mm gear will
continue to post here. Perhaps it might become as sparse as the medium
format or large format groups, but I see nothing wrong with that. You
will not be seeing my posts on any digital equipment groups.

I post because I welcome the chance to help others, when possible. I
also read many posts, because none of us can know too much.

You are one of the good posters still left here, Gordon. Seems like there
are far fewer than there once were. Are you sick of DSLR stuff posted
here? Personally I'm not, but I can understand how others would be sick
of the Shoot-In and/or DSLRs.

Talk about overkill! In RFD #4 the four new groups would be
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
rec.photo.digital.zlr
rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
rec.photo.digital.rangefinder

I'm missing that thread, but I am curious: what the hell is a ZLR?

--
Dallas www.dallasdahms.com
"Going down a dirty inner city side road I plotted