Minolta Maxxum 5 or 70

Old September 12th 04, 11:17 PM
Paul Coen

Although the f/4 weighs more, it's a much better lens (sharpness and
contrast) than the other two. And it does have a wider aperature at all
zoom ranges.

On 9/12/2004 4:40 PM, John Doe wrote:
Alan Browne wrote in message ...

Look for a 70-210 f/4. They you will be cooking.

Thanks Alan. Alongwith the 70-210 f/4, I also see:
- 70-210 F4.5-5.6 I MACRO (49)
- 70-210 F4.5-5.6 II MACRO (49)

Any thoughts on these?

Siddhartha

Old September 13th 04, 04:23 PM
Bill Tuthill

Alan Browne wrote:

Ok, I have decided to buy a new body and pick up a few used lenses
from www.keh.com
50mm f/1.7
28-80mm D
75-300mm D

The 75-300 is (like all in this range) soft from 200 to 200mm. I
had this lens, sold it.

Look for a 70-210 f/4. Then you will be cooking.

The 70-210 f/4 is not particularly great at the long end, either.
The 75-300mm D has the advantage of being lighter weight, and from
all reports, is an OK lens.

Avoid the ones with size 49 filter thread, because they don't match
the filter thread on your 28-80mm D.

Old September 13th 04, 05:15 PM
John Doe

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

Ok, I have decided to buy a new body and pick up a few used lenses
from www.keh.com
50mm f/1.7
28-80mm D
75-300mm D

The 75-300 is (like all in this range) soft from 200 to 200mm. I
had this lens, sold it.

Look for a 70-210 f/4. Then you will be cooking.

The 70-210 f/4 is not particularly great at the long end, either.
The 75-300mm D has the advantage of being lighter weight, and from
all reports, is an OK lens.

Avoid the ones with size 49 filter thread, because they don't match
the filter thread on your 28-80mm D.

Even in 75-300mm, I see four types of lenses:
- 75-300 F4.5-5.6 D VII MACRO SILVER (55)
- 75-300 F4.5-5.6 D MACRO SILVER (55)
- 75-300 F4.5-5.6 I MACRO (55)
- 75-300 F4.5-5.6 II MACRO SILVER (55)

Ofcourse, the last two are not "D" lenses but what the difference
between "VII" and non-"VII". Googling didn't reveal much on the
subject.

Thanks,

Siddhartha