Rangefinders @ Infinity...

Old September 12th 04, 06:21 PM

Default Rangefinders @ Infinity...

Hi

This is my first post (if it gets through i.e. )...

I recently read at a website giving FED2 review that the author
concluded that the RF was out of alignment based on the observation
that the RF doesnot align to infinity...

I have recently acquired a Contax II...
I have noticed that it's RFalso doesnot align at infinity...
However, it doesnot seem off!
I have put through 2-3 rolls and all seem fine and alignments upto its
before-infinity limit are very perfect...
For example, you could follow the link below:
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/27/16...hndr_Port0.jpg
The shot shown here is taken at f1.5 and under low light; yet, I could
focus and the focus seems right-on...

Is it that alignment at infinity should be proper!?
My RF is great and doesnot seem a least bit misaligned!

Kindly Help...
Awaiting your replies...

Regards

Paresh Pandit
Mumbai, IN
Sept 12, 2004

P.S.: The FED 2 article can be found here :
http://open.hr/~dpleic/photo/fed2.html

Old September 13th 04, 08:46 AM

How far away was your "infinity" target?
It was say 15-20 metres away...

A Contax (or Kiev) rangefinder will show a clear double image as far

away as 200 metres, but if you focus on a really distant object will
line up perfectly.
This explains a lot... thanks...

The prewar Contax rangefinder is extremely precise.

Couldn't agree more...
Also, the RF is very bright!

Adjusting the Contax is less trivial than adjusting a Leica style

rangefinder, and some disassembly of the front of the camera is
required. You will probably find instructions easier to find on the web
if you search for Kiev rangefinder
adjustment. You may want to get a professional to do the job.
Check infinity focus with a tower several kilometres away, or

something really distant like the moon and see if it really
is correct at infinity.

Will do that...
In the city, there are so many objects that one finds it hard to
concentrate and observe one particular object (especially so distant
ones)...
I am reassured after reading your reply that my Contax is just fine !

Thanks Again!
Regards

Paresh Pandit
Mumbai, IN