Yet another "stolen" photo

Old June 18th 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Miller

Default Yet another "stolen" photo

The following is a link to one of my photos posted on another website
without permission.

http://dailyviews.runnersworld.com/2009/06/madam-your-shorts-appear-to-be-sudsy.html

The following is the link to the photo on my website.

http://www.dyesscreek.com/events/index.php?display=ict%2F2009%2Frun%2F_mg_8890.JPG

I do find it mildly annoying that no one asked my permission before using
it. I don't make any money off these race photos but still, I never like it
when they are used like this. I'm not going to be threatening action against
anyone but does anyone have any suggestions about how to approach the
offender in this situation?

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Old June 18th 09, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Eric Miller wrote:

The following is a link to one of my photos posted on another website
without permission.

http://dailyviews.runnersworld.com/2009/06/madam-your-shorts-appear-to-be-sudsy.html

The following is the link to the photo on my website.

http://www.dyesscreek.com/events/index.php?display=ict%2F2009%2Frun%2F_mg_8890.JPG

I do find it mildly annoying that no one asked my permission before using
it. I don't make any money off these race photos but still, I never like it
when they are used like this. I'm not going to be threatening action against
anyone but does anyone have any suggestions about how to approach the
offender in this situation?

I don't condon stolen photo's.

Not to throw in a cold wet towel. The runners world photo credits you
as the photographer and there is an implication it was submitted by the
runner in the photo. On this one I would be careful until all the facts are
known. It is possible that the runner has a copyright claim.

Regards

Walter..

Old June 18th 09, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Miller

"Walter Banks" wrote in message

Eric Miller wrote:

[...]

How could the runner have a copyright claim to my photo?

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Old June 18th 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete D

"Eric Miller" wrote in message
.. .
The following is a link to one of my photos posted on another website
without permission.

http://dailyviews.runnersworld.com/2009/06/madam-your-shorts-appear-to-be-sudsy.html

The following is the link to the photo on my website.

http://www.dyesscreek.com/events/index.php?display=ict%2F2009%2Frun%2F_mg_8890.JPG

I do find it mildly annoying that no one asked my permission before using
it. I don't make any money off these race photos but still, I never like
it when they are used like this. I'm not going to be threatening action
against anyone but does anyone have any suggestions about how to approach
the offender in this situation?

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Ultimately Eric you have about as much chance at satisfaction here as the
big music companies seem to have chasing down people that steal music, the
only answer is to never put them on the internet unless you expect and are
happy for someone to use it. I only ever post shots that I really don't care
how they are used and make sure the size is small.

You can whine and complain all you like but if you do you will never be
happy.

Cheers.

Pete

Old June 18th 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 18-06-09 13:51, Eric Miller wrote:
The following is a link to one of my photos posted on another website
without permission.

http://dailyviews.runnersworld.com/2009/06/madam-your-shorts-appear-to-be-sudsy.html

The following is the link to the photo on my website.

http://www.dyesscreek.com/events/index.php?display=ict%2F2009%2Frun%2F_mg_8890.JPG

I do find it mildly annoying that no one asked my permission before using
it. I don't make any money off these race photos but still, I never like it
when they are used like this. I'm not going to be threatening action against
anyone but does anyone have any suggestions about how to approach the
offender in this situation?

There is no gentle way. Squarely tell them to not take your images w/o
permission in the future (that they were submitted by a 3rd party is
irrelevant). Fact is they will raid them elsewhere and even if you did
pursue this legally they would likely cite "fair use".

You can see the comments are rather frothed up over the photos as well.
If you took that as a hint to leave your own comment there damning
this practice of filching photos, that may also shame the site "owner"
into better practices.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 18th 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 18-06-09 14:46, Walter Banks wrote:

Eric Miller wrote:

[...]

Nope.

1) Public venue.

2) Not hired by the runner with a contract assigning rights (or Eric
would have said so).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 18th 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 18-06-09 13:51, Eric Miller wrote:
The following is a link to one of my photos posted on another website
without permission.

http://dailyviews.runnersworld.com/2009/06/madam-your-shorts-appear-to-be-sudsy.html

The following is the link to the photo on my website.

http://www.dyesscreek.com/events/index.php?display=ict%2F2009%2Frun%2F_mg_8890.JPG

I do find it mildly annoying that no one asked my permission before using
it. I don't make any money off these race photos but still, I never like it
when they are used like this. I'm not going to be threatening action against
anyone but does anyone have any suggestions about how to approach the
offender in this situation?

Eric, was it you that posted a comment on the Runner's World site:

"" ps. a shout out to Eric Miller for the great shot!

http://www.dyesscreek.com/
Posted by: Eric | Jun 18, 2009 11:18:50 AM ""

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 18th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 18-06-09 17:04, Draco wrote:
On Jun 18, 4:05 pm, "Eric
wrote:
"Walter wrote in message

Eric Miller wrote:
[...]

Even though the picture is taken during a public event, the image of
the person still remains with that person and not the photographer.

No.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 18th 09, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete D

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps he wants it both ways?

Old June 18th 09, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete D

..dyesscreek.com

Even though the picture is taken during a public event, the image of
the person still remains with that person and not the photographer.

No.

Correct!